Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
OnlineCarStereo.com
The best and biggest selection of mobile audio/stereo, multimedia/navigation and accessories at the lowest prices! Kenwood, Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, JVC, Sony, Clarion, Jensen, Infinity, Kicker and more...
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Amplifiers > The Perfect Match???
Go Back Pages (6): [1] 2 3 4 5 6  Next next page
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
tunerguy1000

The Perfect Match???

Hey guys. literally just joined to forum here! glad to be here! im big on car audio and thought this would be a great place to expand my knowledge. I'm getting a new system new. Two 15" 2008 Kicker L7 (2-ohm) and was wondering if the Hifonics BXi2008D (1300RMS @ 2-ohm) would push these babies nicely. I'd be playing them daily to rap in a ported box cuz i love SPL. So basically, will this Brutus amp push the two L7's enuff so that i can be heard from blocks away? appreciate any help

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 05-31-2009 07:58 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for tunerguy1000 Click here to Send tunerguy1000 a Private Message Find more posts by tunerguy1000 Add tunerguy1000 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hardrock

I would probably step up to the 2010 and wire it to one ohm

New Post 05-31-2009 09:19 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for hardrock Click here to Send hardrock a Private Message Find more posts by hardrock Add hardrock to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sicaudio

2008 or 2010 same wattage the 10 series is more efficient but the 80 watt increase in rms is not in any way noticeable so if the price is way dif get the 2008  we use the 2008/2010 series for L7's all the time and it slams them better than a Kicker amp does.

you will need dual 4 ohm subs to get a 1 ohm load other wise you will need to get the 2600 or the gp3000 crunch, for dvc 2 ohm subs. or 2 1610d brutus amps, 1 per sub.

New Post 06-01-2009 12:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sicaudio Click here to Send sicaudio a Private Message Find more posts by sicaudio Add sicaudio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tunerguy1000

Can they take 2000watts RMS constantly? I don't wanna blow them cuz i'l be playing them daily and think that would be to much. I know the L7s can take abuse but im a little skeptical. I havnt had expierince ( however you spell it lol) with L7s so idk what they can do or cant do.

New Post 06-01-2009 10:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tunerguy1000 Click here to Send tunerguy1000 a Private Message Find more posts by tunerguy1000 Add tunerguy1000 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N2Audio

A pair of them take 2k?  They should, they're rated for 1k each.

If you can go the dvc 4 ohm route the 2010/2008 would be the perfect amp IMO.

If you already have the dvc 2's I think one 1210/1208 per sub would be the ticket.

New Post 06-01-2009 02:43 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for N2Audio Click here to Send N2Audio a Private Message Find more posts by N2Audio Add N2Audio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sicaudio

exactly,  the 2010 for dvc 4 subs  or 2 1210 amps for dvc2 ohm subs.  alot of people that love L7 subs will only run them on Hifonics amps.

New Post 06-02-2009 10:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sicaudio Click here to Send sicaudio a Private Message Find more posts by sicaudio Add sicaudio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tunerguy1000

i think il go the DVC 4 ohm versions and get the 2010 or the 2008 Hifonics amp. dependinf on which one i cn get a hold of. Appreciate all the help and info guys. So when i get the subs id have to wire it dow to 1 ohm into the amp and theyl get about 2000watts rite? mayb less since  Hifonics overrates ther amps

New Post 06-02-2009 04:45 PM
sicaudio

for 1 they are far from "overrated"  they are rated by cea2006 specs,  its just that a few of the other makers underrated their amps at 1000 rms and they push 1200 and charge you for 1500.  Hifonics is at least honest.  i sell them for 340 shipped with factory authorized warranty.  no website can say that and sell it cheaper )

New Post 06-03-2009 01:26 PM
tunerguy1000

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 06-03-2009 by sicaudio

for 1 they are far from "overrated"  they are rated by cea2006 specs,  its just that a few of the other makers underrated their amps at 1000 rms and they push 1200 and charge you for 1500.  Hifonics is at least honest.  i sell them for 340 shipped with factory authorized warranty.  no website can say that and sell it cheaper )

Oh ok, I just asked opinions around from my friends and they wer tawkn bout how they are overrated and stuff. Thanks for the info . I  find an answer from a dealer of Hifonics much more reliable though haha thanks dude

New Post 06-05-2009 03:06 PM
N2Audio

I think it's pretty much accepted that the 06's and 08's are close to rated power, but not quite there.

HF claims the 10's are better.  They probably are, but I would still like to see an independent test or two -- out of curiousity mostly.

The real issue is - whether you have 1800 or 2000w -- there's almost no chance you'd hear a difference.  1600, maybe.  1400, probably, but still not night and day.

They're decent amps and have one of the best (if not THE best) power-per-dollar ratio available - who really cares exactly how much power you're ACTUALLY getting out of them (within reason of course).

New Post 06-05-2009 04:25 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for N2Audio Click here to Send N2Audio a Private Message Find more posts by N2Audio Add N2Audio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sicaudio

RE: RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 06-05-2009 by tunerguy1000

Oh ok, I just asked opinions around from my friends and they wer tawkn bout how they are overrated and stuff. Thanks for the info . I  find an answer from a dealer of Hifonics much more reliable though haha thanks dude

I am and have been a Hifonics / Mbquart dealer for over 20 years :)  the 10 series has new military spec PCB's and double the copper in the traces of any previous model amp in the line.  when we tested the new amps they put out over rated specs on over 100 installed so far.  the lowest reading We got at 14 volts flat on a 2010d amp was 2031 watts rms at 1 ohm reactive.

this is a quote from an EE that works for Maxxsonics correctiing someone on using incorrect math to determine power output on a D-Class amp.  :

**********   unfortunately you are allowing yourself to fall into the "old school" way of determining an amplifiers POTENTIAL output based on fusing. This was acceptable in the days of innefficient class a/b's, but you must understand that these amplifiers are far more efficient designs, a fuse can handle double it's rating for short periods of time, and music is transient meaning that the output constantly varies. Nothing irritates me more than looking at all of the posts on random forums about GUESSING output based on fusing. blink.gif

and my reply as well on Maxxsonics member forums:

----------------------------------

exactly, here is a simple explanation:

Amps are how many electrons flow past a certain point per second. Volts is a measure of how much force that each electron is under. Think of water in a hose. A gallon a minute (think amps) just dribbles out if it is under low pressure (think low voltage). But if you restrict the end of the hose, letting the pressure build up, the water can have more power (like watts), even though it is still only one gallon a minute. In fact the power can grow enormous as the pressure builds, to the point that a water knife can cut a sheet of glass. In the same manner as the voltage is increased a small amount of current can turn into a lot of watts.

the old theory of volts x amps doesn't work in todays electronics because of step up transformers, Super D chips , hyper D chips ect.......

my home stereo has a 15 amp fuse so using old math it should put out:
120 volts x 15 amps = 1800 rms but it only pushes 900 rms and 2kw peak so as you can see the math actually in this case can lie and mislead you. if you use old math!

the internall circuitry changes the math and makes it non-constant and the math is based on a constant which is why it doesnt work anymore.

either way I will beat any authorized dealers price on anything Maxxsonics :)  with a real warranty  not a refurb replacement,  and I warranty burned subs as well,  who else does that?

so using old math try this and you will see it is way off on new amps: 1610d has 140 amps of fusing so, 14.4 volts x 140 amps = 2016 watts now you have to figure in efficency of the amp ( the new models are 85% efficient !!!) so multiply 2016 x .85 = 1713 watts but they really only do around 1630-1680 at a regulated 14.4 volts flat. old AB amps used unregulated power supplies thats why the math actually worked for them.

New Post 06-06-2009 11:47 AM
tunerguy1000

RE: RE: RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 06-06-2009 by sicaudio

I am and have been a Hifonics / Mbquart dealer for over 20 years :)  the 10 series has new military spec PCB's and double the copper in the traces of any previous model amp in the line.  when we tested the new amps they put out over rated specs on over 100 installed so far.  the lowest reading We got at 14 volts flat on a 2010d amp was 2031 watts rms at 1 ohm reactive.

this is a quote from an EE that works for Maxxsonics correctiing someone on using incorrect math to determine power output on a D-Class amp.  :

**********   unfortunately you are allowing yourself to fall into the "old school" way of determining an amplifiers POTENTIAL output based on fusing. This was acceptable in the days of innefficient class a/b's, but you must understand that these amplifiers are far more efficient designs, a fuse can handle double it's rating for short periods of time, and music is transient meaning that the output constantly varies. Nothing irritates me more than looking at all of the posts on random forums about GUESSING output based on fusing. blink.gif

and my reply as well on Maxxsonics member forums:

----------------------------------

exactly, here is a simple explanation:

Amps are how many electrons flow past a certain point per second. Volts is a measure of how much force that each electron is under. Think of water in a hose. A gallon a minute (think amps) just dribbles out if it is under low pressure (think low voltage). But if you restrict the end of the hose, letting the pressure build up, the water can have more power (like watts), even though it is still only one gallon a minute. In fact the power can grow enormous as the pressure builds, to the point that a water knife can cut a sheet of glass. In the same manner as the voltage is increased a small amount of current can turn into a lot of watts.

the old theory of volts x amps doesn't work in todays electronics because of step up transformers, Super D chips , hyper D chips ect.......

my home stereo has a 15 amp fuse so using old math it should put out:
120 volts x 15 amps = 1800 rms but it only pushes 900 rms and 2kw peak so as you can see the math actually in this case can lie and mislead you. if you use old math!

the internall circuitry changes the math and makes it non-constant and the math is based on a constant which is why it doesnt work anymore.

either way I will beat any authorized dealers price on anything Maxxsonics :)  with a real warranty  not a refurb replacement,  and I warranty burned subs as well,  who else does that?

so using old math try this and you will see it is way off on new amps: 1610d has 140 amps of fusing so, 14.4 volts x 140 amps = 2016 watts now you have to figure in efficency of the amp ( the new models are 85% efficient !!!) so multiply 2016 x .85 = 1713 watts but they really only do around 1630-1680 at a regulated 14.4 volts flat. old AB amps used unregulated power supplies thats why the math actually worked for them.

haha im gona print all this out just so i can read it in my spare time. Thanks for all the information man. I appreciate answers and opinions, but i especialy appreciate stuff like this with lots of information to back them up! lol :D

New Post 06-09-2009 01:01 PM
sicaudio

anytime,  glad to help when I can.

New Post 06-09-2009 01:16 PM
tunerguy1000

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 06-09-2009 by sicaudio

anytime,  glad to help when I can.

what kinda deal do you think you could give me on an BXi2010D?

New Post 06-11-2009 06:49 PM
sicaudio

shipped insured ups ground  330 to anywhere except eastern us  and that is 10$ more in shipping cost for fuel surcharges.

New Post 06-11-2009 07:06 PM
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (6): [1] 2 3 4 5 6  Next next page

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. kaotiksyko, from , CO. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY. becesaudio, from davao city, AL. ipodzrcool, from , AL.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting