Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
SonicElectronix.com - 1-877-BUY-SONIC
Up to $30.00 in FREE custom install kits on select car stereos. Largest selection online, great prices, Daily Deals and FREE shipping on most products. We are an authorized dealer for Infinity, JBL, JVC, Kicker, MTX, Vibe, RE Audio and others.
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Head Units > usb output on head units
Go Back Pages (3): [1] 2 3  Next next page
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
phoenix24x

usb output on head units

basically, i want to have my entire music library in my car and only deal with one media i.e. flash drive, external hard drive

how is the sound quality streaming mp3's from a device to a USB capable head unit?

can it just be a flash drive or external HD or do i have to have an mp3 player other than the head unit?

how effective can i browse through the library via the head unit?

any other comments/advice much appreciated, and thank you!

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 07-10-2009 06:41 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for phoenix24x Click here to Send phoenix24x a Private Message Find more posts by phoenix24x Add phoenix24x to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sicaudio

with Pioneer units you can use upto a 250 gig usb powered hdd or any flash media and it is very fast,  all the controls are done on the head unit.  but the more you have the longer it takes to navigate it all.  4 gig flash sticks are ideal to keep navigating simpler.

New Post 07-10-2009 09:24 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sicaudio Click here to Send sicaudio a Private Message Find more posts by sicaudio Add sicaudio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gameguru1360

actually the head units that have usb inputs don't really power those western digital passport drives.  They only have enough power for usb drives or ipods hooked up via usb cable.  I tried one of those WD passport drives formatted in Fat32 and it wouldn't see it. 

But yeah the larger drive you have, the longer it takes to read all the folders.  I have a Transcend 16gb usb drive that works well

New Post 07-10-2009 11:09 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for gameguru1360 Click here to Send gameguru1360 a Private Message Find more posts by gameguru1360 Add gameguru1360 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Terra3

Yeah, I have two Pioneer units (800 PRS and 780BT . . . believe those are the models).  One has an external USB adapter, the other internal.  While I can get 160GB WD HDD's working, it isn't consistent.  And at times when they don't work, it could be a while . . . then suddenly powering up and working again at next ignition.  Whereas Patriot 64GB memory sticks are consistent and very quick.

As to the 800 . . . nice unit, but the external adapter is such a pain in the ass, and it doesn't play *.wav, that both the unit and the adapter are coming up for sale.

New Post 07-15-2009 06:00 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Terra3 Click here to Send Terra3 a Private Message Find more posts by Terra3 Add Terra3 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
phoenix24x

thanks for the input yall....you may have saved me a couple hundred bucks

=D

New Post 07-15-2009 06:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for phoenix24x Click here to Send phoenix24x a Private Message Find more posts by phoenix24x Add phoenix24x to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sicaudio

i use cheap 2.5 inch 250 gig laptop drives in a cheap $6 external usb powered case and have never had an issue other than long loads which is normal for anything above 64gig.

New Post 07-15-2009 06:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sicaudio Click here to Send sicaudio a Private Message Find more posts by sicaudio Add sicaudio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sicaudio

using pioneer decks  all the rest including alpine fail miserably with almost any hdd.

New Post 07-15-2009 06:27 PM
gameguru1360

I've noticed that when I use usb sticks on my kenwood X493, I have to turn up the volume more or normalize my mp3s at a higher volume.  When I hook up my zune using the aux input, the aux volume is much louder and is also adjustable.

New Post 07-17-2009 04:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for gameguru1360 Click here to Send gameguru1360 a Private Message Find more posts by gameguru1360 Add gameguru1360 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sicaudio

that is why Pioneer decks are so much better than the rest  they have what is called SLA  source level adjustment,  it is an adjustment to make all output the same no matter what the source is.  kinda of like gain matching on an amp.

New Post 07-17-2009 04:57 PM
gameguru1360

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 07-17-2009 by sicaudio

that is why Pioneer decks are so much better than the rest  they have what is called SLA  source level adjustment,  it is an adjustment to make all output the same no matter what the source is.  kinda of like gain matching on an amp.

but then again pioneer decks aren't as powerful as kenwood excelon head units when not using an amp.  Pioneer Premiers tend to put out about 14x4 rms watts as opposed to kenwood excelons at 22x4 rms.  When you do add a 4 channel or 2 channel amp, then yeah there is no difference in output

New Post 07-21-2009 04:54 PM
sicaudio

almost al Pioneer decks are 22 rms and 50 peak only the cheapest models ar 17 rms  and none are only 14rms.

New Post 07-21-2009 04:58 PM
kyinstlr

if anyone thinks for a minute your going to get 22 usable (distortion doesn't count) watts out of any head unit, I suggest you take a look at the fuse of said head unit & figure it up using Ohms law. Keep in mind that part of that 10 amps of current has to power the diplay, spin the cd drive motor, power the laser...ect.ect.

New Post 07-23-2009 02:35 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for kyinstlr Click here to Send kyinstlr a Private Message Find more posts by kyinstlr Add kyinstlr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sicaudio

doing like you said and using ohms law at only 70% efficiency ( which is ridiculously low for any deck even a pos cheap 1) comes out like this :   12.6 volts x 10 amps x .70 efficiency = 88.2 watts / 4 channels = 22 rms per channel   so now what?

also the internal power supply steps up the voltages to all the other items in the deck as well, you need to understand how IC amps work b4 you make a comment like that. the voltage inside the deck get stepped up to 28 volts before it ever goes into the IC board.

New Post 07-23-2009 05:43 PM
kyinstlr

well said sic. but as i stated, 22 "useable" watts. I've been installing for more than 20, yes 20, years. no, i didn't start when i was 5, but i did install a few under dash 8 track players. Grab a 500, 1k or 1.5k test tone @ -5 db & look at it under an o-scope. You would be hard pressed to find a cd deck that will do 22 watts before clipping. And that would be into a straight resistive load, not to metion a reactive load like a speaker. The last time I saw it, it was one of the old Alpine's with a 20 amp inline fuse & a warning sticker on the power wire.

New Post 07-24-2009 04:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for kyinstlr Click here to Send kyinstlr a Private Message Find more posts by kyinstlr Add kyinstlr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sicaudio

most of the newer decks will do very close to what they say they do, generic brands and low end models do not but they are all CEA 2006 rated and to be rated by cea they have to have 95% output as rated and it is voluntary.  but I do know what you are saying as well.  the old Alpines from back in the day when I started this over 20 years ago all had multiple fuses as well as the main 15 and / or 20 amp 1's.

I do however know for sure that it is fairly close to what they say on the higher end decks from pioneer w/o clipping due to the fact that a reactive load on full range speakers is constantly changing from anywhere as low as 1 ohm all the way upto 60 or more ohms, even on a scope.

New Post 07-24-2009 07:57 PM
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (3): [1] 2 3  Next next page

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
kaotiksyko, from , CO. RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY. becesaudio, from davao city, AL. ipodzrcool, from , AL.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting