Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
OnlineCarStereo.com
The best and biggest selection of mobile audio/stereo, multimedia/navigation and accessories at the lowest prices! Kenwood, Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, JVC, Sony, Clarion, Jensen, Infinity, Kicker and more...
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Subwoofers and Speakers > You've convinced me. Four 6.5"-6.75" coax speakers + amp for $300?
Go Back Pages (1): [1]
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
grayson73

Bought PPI 356cs for front stage. What 2-channel amp for ~$100?

This is why I love this forum. You've convinced me to get an amp + speakers rather than letting my head unit power them.

Vitals:

1. Eclipse CD3402 head unit (13x4 RMS, 35x4 Peak)
2. Power wire will be the factory wire from the harness.
3. Amp will go under the front seat.
4. 1999 Toyota Corolla. Speaker size 6.5"-6.75". Mounting depth 2-3/8". I don't mind using a spacer ring as long as the front of the speaker is not hitting the door plastic.
5. I will not have a subwoofer.
6. Total budget: $300

Questions:

1. Since I won't have a sub, will the front doors provide enough bass? If not, wouldn't rear speakers help with bass since the entire trunk is the enclosure? I'd like rear speakers anyway for the rear passengers.
2. The front speakers will be mounted low and in the door. Should I get speakers where I can aim the tweeter up?
3. Should I get speakers of the same brand all around? In home audio, that is important for timbre matching. Is that important for car audio?
4. Should I get a 4 channel amp or a 2 channel amp for fronts and head unit to power the rears?
Please recommend front coaxs, rear coaxs, and 4 channel amp, total budget $300. Ebay is ok too.

Thanks in advance!

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 08-22-2009 07:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for grayson73 Click here to Send grayson73 a Private Message Find more posts by grayson73 Add grayson73 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sicaudio

1- front speakers give mid bass decently at best unless you upgrade to components.  the rear speakers will do slightly better tho, but components are ideal when there is no sub.
2- aimable tweeters is a fad and really doesn't make any difference.
3- absolutely, timbre matching is the hardest thing to do in a car so same brand and type is always the best way to do it.

for $250 shipped I can do 2 sets of 6.5" coax speakers and a 4 x 50 amp ( the amp is actually fairly high end and 1 of the better SQ amp made IMO )
2 sets of 6.5 almani PCS65
1 MBQuart dsc 450 amplifier ( it is actually very under rated and does closer to 75 x 4 )

for  300 I can do the same amp and a way better speaker,  the almani PCS65C components, they deliver amazing midbass but they are components and you said you didnt want components.  the key to getting good mid bass out of a coax or component is installing them correctly with some decent sound deadener on the door where the speaker mounts.  a door kit is $20 shipped, it has extreme duty dynamat in 2- 10" x 10" pieces just for doing door speakers, 1 kit does 2 doors.

the next step up would be MBQuart discus coax speakers but the price jumps all the way to 350 shipped,  the speakers are very spendy  and IMO are not better enough over the Almani components to make it worth it,  but they are better IMO than the Boston or Almani coax by alot

Wyatt
Owner
Sound Investment Car Audio

New Post 08-22-2009 09:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sicaudio Click here to Send sicaudio a Private Message Find more posts by sicaudio Add sicaudio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
grayson73

Would that be better than something like:

Amp:  MB Quart DSC450 50x4 amp $91, Clarion APX4241 $110, Cadence amp on Ebay.

Front Speakers:  Focal    165 CA1 $150, Rainbow SL 165 $190, CDT Audio CL-E61NEOX $120, Pioneer TS-D602P $85, Image Dynamics CTX65 $150

Thanks again for the responses.

New Post 08-22-2009 11:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for grayson73 Click here to Send grayson73 a Private Message Find more posts by grayson73 Add grayson73 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sicaudio

its all actually just a matter of personal taste or opinion,  personally I dont like clarion focal or pioneer amps or speakers but they are all good products, polk and infinity on the other hand are garbage IMO, so see if you can find somewhere to hear them and see what you like.

New Post 08-23-2009 12:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sicaudio Click here to Send sicaudio a Private Message Find more posts by sicaudio Add sicaudio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
grayson73

Any thoughts on the PPI 356CS or other components that are convertible to coax like the CDT CL-60 and CL-61CV?

I can use the Eclipse HU to power the rear factory speakers and spend all of the money on a 2-channel amp and front speakers. Any suggestions for a good 2 channel amp? How are the Cadence TXA-3002, MB Quart DSC280, Phoenix Gold Ryval V1502?

New Post 08-23-2009 05:15 PM
sicaudio

i like the cdt's but when i want wicked comps especially convertable 1's  i use the mbquart pvi's  for 225 they are nasty :)  i can do them for 200 shipped.  they retail for 599

here is a retail site that is more than me but you can see them.

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=19799

New Post 08-23-2009 05:24 PM
grayson73

I bought the Precision Power 356CS from Sonicelectronix on Ebay for $121 shipped after 10% Bing Cashback. They are components that convert to Coax, which is how I'll run them.

Now I need a 2 channel amp to power them for around $100. Any suggestions? I know of Cadence CTA-3002, Phoenix Gold Xenon 100.2, Orion Xtreme 375.

New Post 08-23-2009 10:33 PM
sicaudio

havent thought much of ppi since viper bought them. but the dsc 280 i sell for 100 will power them very nicely.

New Post 08-23-2009 11:09 PM
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (1): [1]

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. reagan1, from Rowlett, TX. soltany, from beirut, MI. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. kaotiksyko, from , CO. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting