Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
SonicElectronix.com - 1-877-BUY-SONIC
Up to $30.00 in FREE custom install kits on select car stereos. Largest selection online, great prices, Daily Deals and FREE shipping on most products. We are an authorized dealer for Infinity, JBL, JVC, Kicker, MTX, Vibe, RE Audio and others.
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Other Mobile Electronics > H.O. alternator AND battery...
Go Back Pages (1): [1]
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
zlibby76

H.O. alternator AND battery...

I'll have about 4500w RMS running in my '03 Nissan 350z and would like some feedback.

So being that I have this upgrade in power, I'm obviously needing a H.O. (high output) alternator. Does anyone KNOW of any that would be a great fit? What would be an appropriate

How about a battery? I've looked into the Kinetik HC3800's ($500), but have since been told there are similar batteries at half the cost.

Which battery would give me the BEST bang for my buck?

Thanks guys,

Zak

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 10-03-2009 07:24 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for zlibby76 Click here to Send zlibby76 a Private Message Find more posts by zlibby76 Add zlibby76 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gameguru1360

some of the installers at my local car audio shop have said they recommend the Kinetiks to be used as a second battery with a battery isolator being that when they get fully drained, they don't recharge back up to full like the yellow top Optimas. 

New Post 10-08-2009 02:26 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for gameguru1360 Click here to Send gameguru1360 a Private Message Find more posts by gameguru1360 Add gameguru1360 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zlibby76

Thanks for the response, gameguru.

I went with a Deka Intimidator battery and a 240 amp alternator, so... we'll see how well that works out and go from there.

New Post 10-08-2009 02:31 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for zlibby76 Click here to Send zlibby76 a Private Message Find more posts by zlibby76 Add zlibby76 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mc

i'm in logan area if you got ?'s just give me a call i'll help ya out also I replied to your e-mail andsent you my # so just give me a call.

mel

New Post 10-11-2009 10:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mc Click here to Send mc a Private Message Find more posts by mc Add mc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gameguru1360

actually I've been corrected on the Kinetiks/Shurikens vs the Optimas.  The kinetik/shurikens are way better than the optimas as far as having the power needed and recharge way faster than Optimas.  Optimas are geared more towards automotive use rather than car audio so they're only recommended by the local car audio shops because that's probably the only battery line they sell.

I'm probably going to go with a kinetik or shuriken as a 2nd battery.

New Post 11-06-2009 11:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for gameguru1360 Click here to Send gameguru1360 a Private Message Find more posts by gameguru1360 Add gameguru1360 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kenny9955

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 10-08-2009 by gameguru1360

some of the installers at my local car audio shop have said they recommend the Kinetiks to be used as a second battery with a battery isolator being that when they get fully drained, they don't recharge back up to full like the yellow top Optimas. 

I just love when audio shop tell you need "this and that." It sort like doing business and if you ever notice how most the stuff they want you buy doesn't need to buy...

New Post 04-17-2010 10:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Kenny9955 Click here to Send Kenny9955 a Private Message Find more posts by Kenny9955 Add Kenny9955 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlpineTahoe

But what about Redtop Optimas?

New Post 07-31-2010 09:58 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for AlpineTahoe Click here to Send AlpineTahoe a Private Message Find more posts by AlpineTahoe Add AlpineTahoe to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KJM01

RE: RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 03-03-2010 by MaximusCarAudio

I always tell people swap out the battery under the hood for a better battery I like kinetik surk is like the same crap diff case. The money is worth it cause of the discharge rate and recharge rate. Then never use an isolator for the back battery unless its a diff type of battery. Always link them together to give you a big battery bank. the more the better cause if will hold voltage longer. Alt will only be used to recharge the batteries and after a point no matter how big an alt is or how many you have it does nothing then just fill the batteries up. I get about 600amps or so out from my alts after they heat up and in a usable rpm range. More when they cold or I rev up the eng. Even with 600+ amp going into the batteries it does nothing but bring fill them up slow. I can fire up one sub and one sub amp with my voice and pull that much or more so when the 5 other subs and amps fire up the alts do nothing and I am running on the power the Kinetiks hold. I know your not as big system as mine but its just to show you a point. I gave up on trying to get alts to keep up with draw and did the bigger the bank the better idea. If I was to do it over I would of done 2 alts and tossed in a few power supplies from Kinetik so I can plug in and recharge when I am home or at the shop and even some showes. In your case with your draw if you came to my shop I would of said a HO alt big 3 single kinetik under the hook hc1600 or 1800 what ever fit and then did 2 hc2400 batteries. This would give you enough to play stupid loud vol music for a good amount of time and when the bass isn't hitting the alt would be refilling.

so even with 600a and all those batterys, i gotta ask how long will your system run for until it cuts off?

New Post 08-27-2010 08:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for KJM01 Click here to Send KJM01 a Private Message Find more posts by KJM01 Add KJM01 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KJM01

RE: RE: RE: RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 08-27-2010 by MaximusCarAudio

car on or off? Car on driving have yet to drop below 12.8v and thats cause the batteries sit there. I hold over 14v at high vol for 15min or so in the 13v for hour or so and high 12s on long 3-4 hours drives system bummping hard. When you have big battery bank figure your floating charge is where you should sit after long play if you go under that then your batteries are very low. 600a alt hot and more when their cold then all the pulleys where pulled off and small import alt pulleys where turned down and fitted to spin alt faster. Missing link audio helps a lot to make sure each alt is putting out as much as it can rather then them all adding together on the load and then charging that way... (lame way of explaining lol) Atomic has high eff amps almost 90% =) 3000a draw under full load of all voice amps and sub amps and thats using amps for spl not music.... We know under voice use the amps will almost never see anything near their fuse rating and sub amps on music will see a little over half so lets averg it out at 1500a draw under full music tilt and no one will drive with it that loud lol not even sure if I could since seats shakes and so does your eyes LOL. figure 1000amp draw being stupid and it cranked up good. Alts will do 600a hot and more cold at 2000rmp tested so highway driving 5.0 under the hood figure i am getting almost 680-700a out of the 3 alt. That is a lot of math but I think it means i will never drop under 12.4-12.6v driving unless I go from ny to fl non stop bumping the music up there... also music playing will have a lot to do with it cause some had less bass then others and so on so who can realy say?

That is awesome, im guessing with the car off not a good idea then?!

New Post 08-27-2010 07:06 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for KJM01 Click here to Send KJM01 a Private Message Find more posts by KJM01 Add KJM01 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GILLETTE

Mr. Maximus where do you go for H.O. Alternators? I am just going to run one alt, and 2 kinetik KHC1800 series batteries for under the hood. How much amp draw do you think that i can expect to see out of a 3000.1 and 504 mids amp from Atomic? I dont expect i will be drawing full power out of the sub amp because the sub probably will not take it... like somewhere around the ballpark range of 180amps or so maybe?

New Post 09-02-2010 10:48 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GILLETTE Click here to Send GILLETTE a Private Message Find more posts by GILLETTE Add GILLETTE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gameguru1360

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 09-02-2010 by GILLETTE
Mr. Maximus where do you go for H.O. Alternators? I am just going to run one alt, and 2 kinetik KHC1800 series batteries for under the hood. How much amp draw do you think that i can expect to see out of a 3000.1 and 504 mids amp from Atomic? I dont expect i will be drawing full power out of the sub amp because the sub probably will not take it... like somewhere around the ballpark range of 180amps or so maybe?

I'm going to try this place in the future since I want to get an 02-05 nissan altima. The altimas only have a 110a alternator and this place sells a 200a alternator for a reasonable price:

Quality Power Auto

You might want to install a battery isolator in between those 2 KHC1800's. I was told it's better to have the same batteries and not mix & match different batteries with your starter battery

New Post 01-03-2011 03:34 AM
SINTORMAN

RE: RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 01-03-2011 by gameguru1360
I'm going to try this place in the future since I want to get an 02-05 nissan altima. The altimas only have a 110a alternator and this place sells a 200a alternator for a reasonable price:

Quality Power Auto

You might want to install a battery isolator in between those 2 KHC1800's. I was told it's better to have the same batteries and not mix & match different batteries with your starter battery

I know I am digging this up but I just noticed you posted "Quality Power Auto". Thats where I got my HO alt. Love the product and their service. Simply great!

New Post 08-28-2011 12:49 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for SINTORMAN Click here to Send SINTORMAN a Private Message Find more posts by SINTORMAN Add SINTORMAN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gameguru1360

cool, well i ended up getting an 09 altima and haven't had the need to get an HO alt yet...probably because I'm only running about 1500 watts altogether..200 watts for 2 channel amp, brz1200 amp. I was looking at the HO alts on Mr. alternator's site when I had my corolla..quality power auto had HO alts for other cars...so I was looking at their site

New Post 08-29-2011 01:43 PM
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (1): [1]

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. soltany, from beirut, MI. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. kaotiksyko, from , CO. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY. becesaudio, from davao city, AL.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting