Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
SonicElectronix.com - 1-877-BUY-SONIC
Up to $30.00 in FREE custom install kits on select car stereos. Largest selection online, great prices, Daily Deals and FREE shipping on most products. We are an authorized dealer for Infinity, JBL, JVC, Kicker, MTX, Vibe, RE Audio and others.
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Subwoofers and Speakers > any subs better then JL W7
Go Back Pages (2): [1] 2  Next next page
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
gunito50

any subs better then JL W7

im want to buy 3 jl audio W7 subs ( 13.5) wondering what subs are better- money not a factor- i also need a powerfull amp u no any good ones that can handle 3 w7's or 2 of them an amp with more then 2000 or 3000 watts i saw jbl audio a3000 but that is a little pricey 5,000 dollars please i need help to get a good system any suggestions about tv speacers, subs amps help me out thanx for ur time

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 05-03-2004 06:21 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for gunito50 Click here to Send gunito50 a Private Message Find more posts by gunito50 Add gunito50 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Splmonster

I will say this, the W7 is knowwhere near beat sub. They are overpriced and overated. Adire brahma or Re XXX will tear a W7 apart. Or a Orion H2 i can probably name more. Do not waste your money the Re and adire or orion sub is alot cheaper and way better.

New Post 05-03-2004 06:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Splmonster Click here to Send Splmonster a Private Message Find more posts by Splmonster Add Splmonster to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
esarc87

a good sub that compares to the w7 is the audiobahn emmortal. i havent heard a w7 but i have heard bad things bout it. i have heard the emmortal and it's the best ive heard.

New Post 05-12-2004 12:37 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for esarc87 Click here to Send esarc87 a Private Message Find more posts by esarc87 Add esarc87 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Splmonster

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 05-12-2004 by esarc87
a good sub that compares to the w7 is the audiobahn emmortal. i havent heard a w7 but i have heard bad things bout it. i have heard the emmortal and it's the best ive heard.

Yes the Audiobahn Immortal is a great sub, but very pricey like the W7. The XXX or Brahma will beat both of those subs, the Orion h2 will as well.

New Post 05-12-2004 05:15 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Splmonster Click here to Send Splmonster a Private Message Find more posts by Splmonster Add Splmonster to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy_sixtynine

i can get imortals for under $300 for 12" so u just have to know where to look for

New Post 05-12-2004 06:40 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy_sixtynine Click here to Send sleepy_sixtynine a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy_sixtynine Add sleepy_sixtynine to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UndercoverPunker

Adire or RE will EASILY get just as loud, but will probably(only saying probably cause I have yet to hear one in person) sound ALOT better, the IMMORTAL will pound like a bitch, I'm not denying that, it just PROBABLY won't sound as good... and remember, this is coming from a guy who has a 90% audiobahn car. If I really wanted a SQL car I'd rip all that audiobahn out(except maybe my 6 channel amp) and replace it with Adire or RE...

New Post 05-12-2004 07:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for UndercoverPunker Click here to Send UndercoverPunker a Private Message Find more posts by UndercoverPunker Add UndercoverPunker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ludepower

RE: any subs better then JL W7

quote:
Originally posted on 05-03-2004 by gunito50
im want to buy 3 jl audio W7 subs ( 13.5) wondering what subs are better- money not a factor- i also need a powerfull amp u no any good ones that can handle 3 w7's or 2 of them an amp with more then 2000 or 3000 watts i saw jbl audio a3000 but that is a little pricey 5,000 dollars please i need help to get a good system any suggestions about tv speacers, subs amps help me out thanx for ur time

What exactly do you mean by better? Better as in SQ, Volume? Me personally, I wouldn't buy the W7. It's too many subs out there that are cheaper and a helluva lot louder. If money isn't an issue, i'd go with 3 Solo X 12"s and pour a ton of power into them. Or even 3 Adire Audio Brahma's. Amp of choice: Autotek MX-5000. It's $600 and 2400x1. That's my pic. EDIT: What's your budget? I can really give you some answers with a specific price range.

New Post 05-18-2004 03:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ludepower Click here to Send ludepower a Private Message Find more posts by ludepower Add ludepower to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ssi

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 05-12-2004 by sleepy_sixtynine
i can get imortals for under $300 for 12" so u just have to know where to look for

i can get immortals for under $200 for 12", its called ebay.

New Post 11-03-2004 08:00 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ssi Click here to Send ssi a Private Message Find more posts by ssi Add ssi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N2Audio

The w7's were designed and produced strictly as an SQ driver. The fact that they can get as loud, or close to as loud as almost any speaker of similar size just speaks to the expertise of JL's engineers.

I know people have "thier" brands, and maybe "your" brand IS among the elite, but to say (brand x) sub BLOWS a w7 away, or w7's are weak...that just makes you look like a moron.

Which is exactly why the "Who makes the best..." questions are pointless.

New Post 11-03-2004 08:41 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for N2Audio Click here to Send N2Audio a Private Message Find more posts by N2Audio Add N2Audio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lessismorespl

I agree

With matching the right subs w/ the right amp, a well made enclosure, and proper tuning, you really can't compare subs. We all have our brands, I'm into MTX myself, but since I can't afford 8500's or 9500's I settle for Coustic CF1244's, I bought all of my system brand new, right down to Streetwires Zero Noise RCA's and have just under $1,000, this includes a 4 ch amp, a 2 ch amp, 2X 5X7 speakers, 2X 12" DVC's, Dynamat, and a Audio Control Epic150 bass optimizer. I'm hitting mid 130's with this. So arguing over what brand is best is a waste of time.

New Post 11-04-2004 12:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for lessismorespl Click here to Send lessismorespl a Private Message Find more posts by lessismorespl Add lessismorespl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dventura

WOW!

OK, so Ive now looked at the brahma 12's and they look super impressive, those things kick!!! Now I have a question...I just bougth a super high end Audison VRX6.420 ex, if anybody doesn't know what it is then it's basically a $3200US SQ amp...now I only bought it cuz it went for $1000 on ebay...so basically now I have to build in SQ system around it even though I love my hip-hop...poor me, j/k. The amp is a 6 channel and it will put out 500RMS slightly underrated at 2ohms...so I need a sub that well be able to dig and give me some hard lows for the hip hop but I also need something that will sound unbeleivable to take advantage of the amp's SQ capabilities. My best bet I was lookin at is the JL13W6v2...also the focal KX33 but its probably too expensive and not loud enough...and as far as the JLW7s the only one that I have enough power for I beleive is the 10inch which may be too tight and small of a sub for my liking and a JL rep also told me that due to the weight of the magnet of the W7s or w/e that he doesnt recommend it unless u have a dedicated sub amp. Now my question is, if anyone here knows...at 500watts RMS, probably really about 550...how would the brahma 12 compare to a JL13W6v2...will the brahma really perform well with only 500 watts if u put it in a small box that they say will run the sub to full excursion with 500 watts. From what I've seen I truely beleive they may kick way better than the JL...but I dont see what about the brahamas that gives them this SQ everyone talks about...which sub would give me better SQ and play more musically for when I do decide to put in that acustic track. Honestly not to brag...but do keep in mind that my audison VRX is probably capable of bringing out SQ that most ppl have never heard from any amp provided it has the right speakers and subs to do so. At the same time however I like my hip hop and wont something versatile that can pound when I want it to and dig low. Thanks very much for anyone that gives me some feedback!

New Post 11-04-2004 02:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dventura Click here to Send dventura a Private Message Find more posts by dventura Add dventura to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N2Audio

My first thought --
Amps aren't responsible for SQ. All they do is increase the power of the signal between the HU and the speakers. Aside from the x/o's and any other processing they don't impact sound quality at all, but to each his own.
Go to adireaudio.com. Keep it short, but tell them about your amp, and your goals. Your interest in the Brahma, but that you're questioning it at the same time, and that you're also looking at a w7.

More times than not Adire's CEO (and lead engineer) will respond to e-mail, and I bet he'll have more info for you than you care to know.

New Post 11-04-2004 09:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for N2Audio Click here to Send N2Audio a Private Message Find more posts by N2Audio Add N2Audio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dventura

So aside from brands that are absolute crap...you're saying that there is absolutly no reason to buy say a kicker 1200 watt amp on ebay for $450 over a JBL 1200 watt for $250? I've really heard mixed things on that...I don't know from expereince because Im new to car audio and would have never in a million years bought my amp for retail of $3200US but I just figured it went for a price that wasn't hugely more than I woulda spent on any other decent front end amp and sub amp. Ive been told by some that it will the amp makes a difference if youre running good speakers and subs because the super clean signal or effiency of the amp or something or other will allow the speaker cone to to work a lot more precisly. It's actually funny a really good shop where I live they told me the amp doesnt matter as long as it's clean power but meanwhile they use audison vrx's and have the top SQ cars in the country. But I mean, it could just be such a slight different that only matters to the most decerning ear for competition sake. And theyd rather see their customers not spend money on something the wont notice and rather save it or put it towards better speakers. Thanks for the reply.

New Post 11-04-2004 11:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dventura Click here to Send dventura a Private Message Find more posts by dventura Add dventura to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N2Audio

There are A LOT of reasons to buy a high quality amp. Aesthetics (generally), durability, longevity, consistency, warranty etc.
But is spending big $$ on an amp in hopes of good SQ really worth it?? Well, it's a fairly heated debate.

Personally, if I'm going to drop hundreds of dollars on a component for my sound system - it will be speakers.

We know that machines can measure harmonic distortion down to thousandths of a percent, but we also know humans are not likely to HEAR ANY distortion less than 1% in a musical passage, or even 5% to as much as 10% in the subwoofer frequencies. So is it really worth it to pay $50 more for an amp that has a THD of .02% over one that's .05%? Or $200 more for one that's .001%?? That argument can be made for just about every amp specification people like to look at.

One of the moderators at carsound.com - who is also an audio engineer and does work for various MAJOR companies - has an ongoing experiment he calls the "10k amp challenge". His claim is that ANY 2 amps (crossovers/processing set to flat) adjusted so they're making the same power have no difference in sound, and he'll pay anyone who can tell the difference 12 out of 12 times $10,000. It's been the subject of many discussions and arguements between thousands of different people - from professional audio engineers to the self-proclaimed "golden ear" crowd.

The fact is - of literally thousands of attempts over the past 10-15 years - nobody has ever passed the test. The "golden eared" that make wild claims about great sounding amps and cables either dodge the challenge altogether, have taken it - failed - and been converted, or taken it - failed - made excuses about why.

I personally believe a watt is a watt, and they all sound the same, but I'm not going to try to tell people what they can and can't hear.

New Post 11-04-2004 12:27 PM
woofersus

I have significantly more experience with pro audio than car audio (used to sell the stuff) so I haven't heard many of these different components side by side, but along the same vein of what has just been said, many people (in my experience anyway) go nuts over numbers of various types. I had a guy once who wanted really good amps for his pa system. I told him the Crown Macrotech amps were about the best amps you could possibly buy for that purpose. All he cared about was the numbers. He compared specs side-by-side with a peavey amp (cheap crap) and summarily declared the peavey the winner. He was especially smug about his decision because the peavey was about $500 cheaper. Now, I don't know if the peavey died early on him or not, but I know that crown amps have one of the industry's best warranties for a reason. The fact is you have to listen to the equipment and evaluate it subjectively, because specs can be manipulated to look good. Now, I agree also that speakers are way more important than amps in a good sq system. I have a cheap mtx 4-channel amp but jl xr series speakers. I think my system sounds great. I'm often suspicious when people proclaim a brand to be way better and cheaper at the same time, because in my experience with pro audio, it has generally proven true that you get what you pay for--at least with speakers. I heard a lot of people when I was selling audio gear claim they were into "the good stuff," which ususally meant they had a nice guitar amp that they were plugging a microphone directly into or they thought $200 stageworks speakers sound good. People who pay a ton of money for MonsterCable are retards, but that's another discussion for another day. I used to sell that too. I have heard a 13w7 and it does sound fantastic. It is also expensive. I guess you need to decide how much to spend first and then find the best speaker in that price range. As far as sq vs spl, I can't imagine needing a sub to hit harder than any high end sq sub does if you're not competing. People who want spl subs and aren't competing (like L7's) generally don't care a ton how their music sounds or have never heard good quality music before. I say stick with what sounds good. If its not loud enough, you've probably already damaged your hearing beyond repair.

New Post 11-06-2004 11:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for woofersus Click here to Send woofersus a Private Message Find more posts by woofersus Add woofersus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (2): [1] 2  Next next page

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. reagan1, from Rowlett, TX. soltany, from beirut, MI. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. kaotiksyko, from , CO. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting