Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
SonicElectronix.com - 1-877-BUY-SONIC
Up to $30.00 in FREE custom install kits on select car stereos. Largest selection online, great prices, Daily Deals and FREE shipping on most products. We are an authorized dealer for Infinity, JBL, JVC, Kicker, MTX, Vibe, RE Audio and others.
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Subwoofers and Speakers > Need help picking replacement subs for my setup! Please help
Go Back Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4  Next next page
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
patm215

Need help picking replacement subs for my setup! Please help

Hey guys I'm new to the forum. I'm really having a hard time deciding which subs will fit my setup well. I had the mtx jackhammer JH5512 sub enclosure. I got these from circuit city right before they went out of Buisness. I had a 800 watt pioneer amp on them for a while and then finally upgraded my amp to MTX thunder elite 801d amp. This was perfect match for these subs the amps birth sheet showed 485 rms @ 4 ohms and 815 @ 2 ohms. These called for 400 a piece as box was wired at 2 ohms. I wired it up on them jackhammers and they lasted about a week before they blew. Everyone I've talked to said MTX has really stepped there game up and make great amps and are usually underrated. The enclosure is really nice and I'd like keep it as its a large ported box in 2 ohm setup. Most subs I've looked at call for basically this same cubic ft displacement ported which is about 2 cubic. I want to replace the two twelves and get something that's really going to shake things up but sound good too as I love bass and to feel it in my chest. I was looking at 2 12 inch JL w3v3 the new ones or 2 12 inch alpine type rs. I would wire them to 2 ohm setup so each speaker would be receiving about 400+ rms running speakers in parellel. I would like peoples inputs and am also up to suggestions of any other subs as well. These are going in a 07 Dodge Magnum so its no little car. Please any help would be appreciate and I need to do something because no bass just isn't cutting it! Thanks in advance

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 12-04-2009 04:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for patm215 Click here to Send patm215 a Private Message Find more posts by patm215 Add patm215 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lgnmgr

IMO JL is over priced for what you get and the type r's are decent BUT still way too expensive... look into the hifonics zeus 12's they would easily take that power and sound great and they are WAY cheaper then what you suggested, talk to sicaudio if you want a deal on them

New Post 12-04-2009 12:48 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for lgnmgr Click here to Send lgnmgr a Private Message Find more posts by lgnmgr Add lgnmgr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
larrypeters86

JL is really expensive.......You are correct. But they make a damm good product. Whether it's worth it in most people's eyes is the question. Comparing a hifonics sub to a JL is insane. The JL W is one of the best sq drivers made. Hifonics may satisfy people that want to get loud but the JL will sound much better. That is in the hands o someone who knows what to do with it.

To the op....How about looking at FI?

https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficaraudio.com/sess/utn;jsessionid=15475848e008978/shopdata/index.shopscript

And you can certainly find a great sub here.

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/store/

New Post 12-04-2009 06:48 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for larrypeters86 Click here to Send larrypeters86 a Private Message Find more posts by larrypeters86 Add larrypeters86 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sicaudio

a zeus IMO sounds as good or better than a w3 easily but not even close to a w6, which imo is one of the best sq subs available, but yes they are expensive.  cost and quality is what you need to decide on within your budget.

i can promise either the JL or the Zeus will stomp the JH subs you had before. especially in a decent enclosure. install is always key to making anything sound good or bad.

New Post 12-04-2009 07:16 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sicaudio Click here to Send sicaudio a Private Message Find more posts by sicaudio Add sicaudio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lgnmgr

larry look at what he had before mtx JH the zeus are WAY better then those and he's only workin with 400rms per sub... don't go with JL or FI unless you want to upgrade the amp and probably make a box... i wasn't sayin the zeus are better then anything i just said that they are extremely cost effective and he would be able to just put them right in the box and wire them up and go... correct me if im wrong but the OP is looking for a replacement... the subs larry mentioned are great (JL and FI) but they will cause you to have to upgrade stuff and if not that they'll be more expensive... if you don't want to spend much and want better subs then before go with the zeus... if you want to upgrade/spend more money then go with JL or FI (personally i like FI better but thats me)

New Post 12-04-2009 07:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for lgnmgr Click here to Send lgnmgr a Private Message Find more posts by lgnmgr Add lgnmgr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
larrypeters86

I would ditch the 2 subs and get a single w6.

New Post 12-05-2009 10:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for larrypeters86 Click here to Send larrypeters86 a Private Message Find more posts by larrypeters86 Add larrypeters86 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sicaudio

if you are willing to do a new box and spend the money a W6 is the way to go  if not I think the Zeus will be a pleasant surprise over the Mtx you had.

New Post 12-05-2009 01:11 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sicaudio Click here to Send sicaudio a Private Message Find more posts by sicaudio Add sicaudio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lgnmgr

it's a replacement he's not tryin to go broke just gettin new subs... im not sayin JL's products are bad in any way but you couldn't even give me one of there products cuz of the fear that i'd have to possibly replace it

New Post 12-05-2009 04:00 PM
patm215

Ok guys. I got a W6 the first one off a buddy mine for cheap and bought a ported box to put it in. This knocks but I think I need more as my amp would run two these no problem. My question is I can't find W6 first version anywhere. Would I run into any problems putting a W6 first version with the new W6 in same box?

New Post 12-05-2009 04:05 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for patm215 Click here to Send patm215 a Private Message Find more posts by patm215 Add patm215 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sicaudio

generally you dont mix sizes or models so just call JL tech and ask to be sure.

i would definately do sealed for the subs tho to exact jl specs that is how they sound best.

New Post 12-05-2009 04:40 PM
patm215

They would be same size but they don't make first version anymore. Your sayin I couldn't put a new W6 in box with that one? I have single W6 in ported box now guy at stereo place said it be much better for w6 as it was in sealed box. My he was right ported box woke the W6 right up

New Post 12-05-2009 04:45 PM
sicaudio

call jl tech to make sure you can mix models.

you can port them but if they sound better in a ported box then the sealed box was wrong for the sub IMO.  if you do the w6 sealed to JL specifications it sounds the best.  they are a sealed box designed SQ woofer.  they work in ported boxes but are meant to be sealed.

i would never run a w6 ported personally but i like sql not spl.

New Post 12-05-2009 04:50 PM
patm215

That's strange because the HO boxes JL makes are ported

New Post 12-05-2009 04:58 PM
sicaudio

ho boxes use a w3 not a w6 :)

New Post 12-05-2009 05:03 PM
patm215

Actually they have H0 boxes for W3 W6 and W7. I emailed jl. Called someone who knows about jl said they switch model numbers every year and discontinue the old. If that's case you'd have be able too because if u blow a sub what ur gunna have replace both? Regardless I could always just have two seperate single sub enclsosures off same amp wire both subs voice coils parell and wind up with 2 ohm loads for each woofer :-)

New Post 12-05-2009 05:11 PM
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4  Next next page

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. reagan1, from Rowlett, TX. soltany, from beirut, MI. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. kaotiksyko, from , CO. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting