Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
SonicElectronix.com - 1-877-BUY-SONIC
Up to $30.00 in FREE custom install kits on select car stereos. Largest selection online, great prices, Daily Deals and FREE shipping on most products. We are an authorized dealer for Infinity, JBL, JVC, Kicker, MTX, Vibe, RE Audio and others.
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Amplifiers > Best amp for the bucks $$
Go Back Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4  Next next page
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
krut11

Best amp for the bucks $$

I've got two 400 watt Rockford Fosgate subs in a sealed box. I'm pushing them with a 1000 watt Sony Xplod, and that thing must be crappy because its not pushing those subs near as good as it should. So I want to buy a new amplifier but i want to know which sub will give me the most power 800-1000 watts for the least amount of cash. I just don't think my sony xplod is living up to its 1000 watt name. Thanks, Kurt

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 05-09-2004 10:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for krut11 Click here to Send krut11 a Private Message Find more posts by krut11 Add krut11 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Splmonster

They are overated! How many bux we talkin? Which sub exactly? How many watts rms? 400watts rms right? Single voice coil or dual voice coil? What ohm?

New Post 05-09-2004 10:43 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Splmonster Click here to Send Splmonster a Private Message Find more posts by Splmonster Add Splmonster to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
krut11

Rockford Fosgate: Punch HE RFP3812 (200 watt rms 400 watt max). They were louder wen i accidently had them wired wrong :S. But since i rewired them that amps just not pushing enough to them. Probably less then $100 for the amp.

New Post 05-09-2004 10:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for krut11 Click here to Send krut11 a Private Message Find more posts by krut11 Add krut11 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
krut11

actually one subs RFP3412 and ones RFP3812 the only difference is, is that the 3412 is a 4 ohm 12in and the 3812 is a 8 ohm 12in.

New Post 05-09-2004 10:48 PM
N2Audio

That's not a very good scenario you have with those subs. What's going to happen regardless of the amp you use the 4ohm sub will eat twice the power of the 8 ohm. You're going to have trouble getting them to sound right no matter how you do it.

New Post 05-09-2004 11:14 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for N2Audio Click here to Send N2Audio a Private Message Find more posts by N2Audio Add N2Audio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Splmonster

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 05-09-2004 by krut11
actually one subs RFP3412 and ones RFP3812 the only difference is, is that the 3412 is a 4 ohm 12in and the 3812 is a 8 ohm 12in.

You have one 8ohm and one 4ohm?

New Post 05-09-2004 11:15 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Splmonster Click here to Send Splmonster a Private Message Find more posts by Splmonster Add Splmonster to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
krut11

yeah... as dumb as that makes me sound, but they actually sound the same and hit the same. Now i just need to find an amp.

New Post 05-09-2004 11:16 PM
krut11

well heres the thing. i crimped two wires 2gether today that werent supposed 2 b 2gether. So my 2 subs even though they r different sounded great no matter how much power they were feeding from watever. But the 2 wires i crossed messed up my tweeters and such. So i uncrimped them and my amp lost alot of power. So now neither of my subs sound good regardless of the ohm's or wateva although i don't know what ohm means?

New Post 05-09-2004 11:22 PM
Splmonster

RE:

quote:
yeah... as dumb as that makes me sound, but they actually sound the same and hit the same. Now i just need to find an amp.

They will hit the same, but this is a problem hooking it up to an amp. Let me think on it, hopefully someone can assist you. I have to think on how you would wire a 4ohm with a 8ohm isn't safe I know that.

New Post 05-09-2004 11:23 PM
krut11

well... luckily my car hasnt caught fire yet from this ohm dillemma. What do you mean by this not being safe? I'm not quite sure i know what the problem is, but then again i'm somewhat clueless towards the matter at hand. I just need to find an amp for less then $125 that can do what my 1000 watt Xplod cant. I think.

New Post 05-09-2004 11:26 PM
SentraStyleEMW

I'm still trying to figure out how wiring your sub made your tweeters cut out? Your car will not catch fire or anything just because your subs have different impedances. But they will not sound right (the 4 ohm will be getting more power no matter what you do). Your best bet is to either sell the 8 ohm sub and get another 4 ohm to match and wire them to 2 ohms if your Sony amp is a mono amp, or sell the 4 ohm sub and get another 8 ohm one and wire the pair to 4 ohms if your sony amp is a 2 channel. I seriously don't think the amp is at fault on this one. Sony amps are not the greatest, but it is enough power to drive the subs you have (just get matching impedances...and you'll be set).

New Post 05-09-2004 11:37 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for SentraStyleEMW Click here to Send SentraStyleEMW a Private Message Find more posts by SentraStyleEMW Add SentraStyleEMW to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
krut11

Well the wire crimping thing is a long story. And i could probably pick up another 8 ohm subwoofer but my amplifier is a mono amp. But even if the 4 ohm would draw more power then the 8 ohm wouldnt it sound a lil louder or better? And what is better 4 or 8 ohm? Sounds better louder etc.

New Post 05-09-2004 11:54 PM
Splmonster

RE:

quote:
Well the wire crimping thing is a long story. And i could probably pick up another 8 ohm subwoofer but my amplifier is a mono amp. But even if the 4 ohm would draw more power then the 8 ohm wouldnt it sound a lil louder or better? And what is better 4 or 8 ohm? Sounds better louder etc.

Find a 4ohm it would be easier.http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=39779&item=3095152935&tc=photo,cheapest I can find. It's 4ohm HE!

New Post 05-10-2004 12:17 AM
krut11

Well my friend just got the same 8ohm sub that i got so i could prolly just trade him. So is 2 8s gonna b more quiet then 4's?

New Post 05-10-2004 12:24 AM
SentraStyleEMW

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 05-10-2004 by krut11
Well my friend just got the same 8ohm sub that i got so i could prolly just trade him. So is 2 8s gonna b more quiet then 4's?

If your amp is a mono amp (which I believe you said it was), you'll get more power out of your amp if you use 2 4 ohm subs. If you use 2 8ohm subs on your mono amp, you will have a 4 ohm total load on the amp and your amp will only give you 1/2 of it's potential power.

New Post 05-10-2004 12:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for SentraStyleEMW Click here to Send SentraStyleEMW a Private Message Find more posts by SentraStyleEMW Add SentraStyleEMW to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4  Next next page

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. soltany, from beirut, MI. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. kaotiksyko, from , CO. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY. becesaudio, from davao city, AL.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting