Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
SonicElectronix.com - 1-877-BUY-SONIC
Up to $30.00 in FREE custom install kits on select car stereos. Largest selection online, great prices, Daily Deals and FREE shipping on most products. We are an authorized dealer for Infinity, JBL, JVC, Kicker, MTX, Vibe, RE Audio and others.
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Head Units > Volume decreases and increases on its own
Go Back Pages (1): [1]
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
thaworldhaswarpedme

Volume decreases and increases on its own

Hello Everyone, A little background. I have a 2001 f-150 Supercrew (suicide door style) and have just installed a Kenwood Excelon x794. I did the installation myself. The wiring harness I ordered from E-bay and the dash kit came from Wal-Mart. I used crimping with electric tape for wire connection. I wanted to solder and had even bought heat-shrink tubing for the seal but the night I finally had off to do the work I couldn't find the damn solder! So I crimped. Everything went well with installation ( well, honestly, the kit blocks the top tabs on the back of the dash piece you remove to access the stereo just a bit)and everything sounds great. The i-pod interface is sweet and the speakers (factory for now) sound good although at that point it was 3 in the a.m. so I kept it low volume. The next day on the way to work (or on the way back) I noticed that after about ten minutes of playing( the i-pod) at about 3/4 volume (say 28 out of 40) the speaker volume would lower itself for 5-10 seconds and then rise again. Lower and then rise again. Initially I thought it was that track but then it happened on other songs. It happens in idle and with the truck not running at all but only when you play at 28 or above. And it's not just the i-pod, the stereo (am/fm) does it as well.I am not sure about CD's. Also, this doesn't seem to happen at low volume. What the hell!? Now in the spirit of full disclosure I do have two pairs of RCA cables running from the deck but the ends are covered and definitely not touching. Additionally, when I put the deck in I realized the P.connect wire from the deck needed to be ran as well for the possible addition of an amp later. Having no blue wire with a white stripe I used half an 18-gauge speaker wire (the negative side; is this a big deal?). The end of this wire is also not exposed or touching. All RCAs, the manufactured P.connect and the attached USB are running down the left of the center column and come out behind the curve of the plastic cover (about three inches to the right of the computer interface). Now the question: (Sorry about all the text but I don't want to leave anything out) Is there a possibility that the trucks' factory system or the new deck has a mechanism that is turning down the stereo in an attempt to save speakers or did I just f*** something up? If option 2 seems likely could I get suggestions? Do I need to go back and solder? Seems like when I was sixteen we hooked up stereos in all our buddies' cars and never used solder. We just twisted wires. Is that where i went wrong. I used the metal crimping cylinders with the plastic shells. Could it be the stereo? I am going out now to remove it and check the wiring but honestly that s*** is secure. Eventually I am going to replace the factory with some Kenwood 680cs (6x8s) on an Excelon 4-channel, 1200 watt 600F, bypassing the factory speakers. Will this fix what ails me? Could use some input. Thanks so much.

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 07-07-2010 01:49 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for thaworldhaswarpedme Click here to Send thaworldhaswarpedme a Private Message Find more posts by thaworldhaswarpedme Add thaworldhaswarpedme to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
deranged311

I have the same problem, it's simply because your amplifier draws more power than your charging system has to offer. You coupld probably either get yourself a bigger alternator or a bigger battery to help the situation. If you do go with a new battery I suggest one of those yellow-top batteries. I have heard good things about those!

I didnt take the time to read your entire thread so I didnt see if youy have a capacitor or not but if you dont then try getting one of those

New Post 09-21-2010 03:45 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for deranged311 Click here to Send deranged311 a Private Message Find more posts by deranged311 Add deranged311 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
deranged311

I have the same problem, it's simply because your amplifier draws more power than your charging system has to offer. You coupld probably either get yourself a bigger alternator or a bigger battery to help the situation. If you do go with a new battery I suggest one of those yellow-top batteries. I have heard good things about those!

I didnt take the time to read your entire thread so I didnt see if youy have a capacitor or not but if you dont then try getting one of those

New Post 09-21-2010 03:45 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for deranged311 Click here to Send deranged311 a Private Message Find more posts by deranged311 Add deranged311 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
maryland33

http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/Manuals/113/113KDCX994.PDF

Here is the manual if you don't have it already.I would reset the radio first and see what happens.Good luck.Oh,and do not go out and spend money on a capacitor like this other guy says,it's not going to help your situation at all!

New Post 09-25-2010 12:27 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for maryland33 Click here to Send maryland33 a Private Message Find more posts by maryland33 Add maryland33 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KJM01

if you used too much solder it will reduce the ability to pass current, i would rather crimp them

New Post 09-28-2010 11:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for KJM01 Click here to Send KJM01 a Private Message Find more posts by KJM01 Add KJM01 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (1): [1]

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. kaotiksyko, from , CO. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY. becesaudio, from davao city, AL. ipodzrcool, from , AL.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting