Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
SonicElectronix.com - 1-877-BUY-SONIC
Up to $30.00 in FREE custom install kits on select car stereos. Largest selection online, great prices, Daily Deals and FREE shipping on most products. We are an authorized dealer for Infinity, JBL, JVC, Kicker, MTX, Vibe, RE Audio and others.
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > > MDF and screws don't mix
Go Back Pages (1): [1]
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
F1reFly

MDF and screws don't mix

Brand new box, i started in with some screws and 3 of the 8 were instantly ruined and can't tighten down and its causing a very slight air leak still. I need like a syringe and some type of filler that would allow screws to tighten....any such? All i can think of to do is to bust out the silicon adhesive but hate to. What do you guys that have mdf baffle do to get a good tight seal around your sub? I know a plywood baffle would be ideal but this is an Atrend premade box.

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 08-20-2010 09:30 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for F1reFly Click here to Send F1reFly a Private Message Find more posts by F1reFly Add F1reFly to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mc

T-nuts

New Post 08-21-2010 08:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mc Click here to Send mc a Private Message Find more posts by mc Add mc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
F1reFly

RE: RE: MDF and screws don't mix

quote:
Originally posted on 08-21-2010 by MaximusCarAudio

first off you stripped the box or picked up to think of a box if you sub needs to be bolted down that tight. 2nd you need a gasket for the sub most 1/2 way good subs come with it or have it built on its a thin foam that sticks to the bottom of basket lip to take up any little gaps the wood has.

i know i stripped the box. ? my subs already have gaskets, but typically if all the screws are not pressing firmly enough on all areas of the gasket, there will be a slight leak which can be seen/heard by pressing on the sub cone. The box carpeting does not help that seal either without firm pressure. All the more reason i need all 8 screws tight, which actually, the 3 screws that failed, i did not over tighten or get tight to begin with, it just happened before the screw got firm. why i dunno but i was careful. i like to make sure my enclosures are 100% air tight. i'll try the T nut as MC suggested but aren't those for bolts and not screws?

New Post 08-21-2010 03:35 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for F1reFly Click here to Send F1reFly a Private Message Find more posts by F1reFly Add F1reFly to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mc

yes they are for bolts

New Post 08-21-2010 03:41 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mc Click here to Send mc a Private Message Find more posts by mc Add mc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ianarian

This reason is why I double baffle, well and its more solid. Then I use a 2.0" SS Grabbers. Thank god you are doin something about the leak. Good time to bring up that a routine check for leaks is never a bad idea. The other day I thought I had been losing a little sound.... I was able to turn each screw maybe a 1/4 turn tighter. Man, was I missing something... Sooo much better now.

New Post 09-01-2010 02:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ianarian Click here to Send Ianarian a Private Message Find more posts by Ianarian Add Ianarian to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ericeric124

New Post 02-22-2011 09:46 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ericeric124 Click here to Send ericeric124 a Private Message Find more posts by ericeric124 Add ericeric124 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sicaudio

RE: screws are not for retards!

quote:
Originally posted on 02-22-2011 by ericeric124

pre-drill your holes buddy or use a nail gun. dont try to sound like such a noob. take a woodshop class at your local community college . And yes mdf, like any wood will crack if not pre-drilled. screws well help ensure your box is more rigid and dense and can help keep sound pressure in better for a more linear sound wave. use screws and wood glue

this is sound advice guys... I make most of my living and raise my kids on money I make from good solid enclosures...I always tell everyone it is all in the box...and the install...

New Post 02-23-2011 11:40 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sicaudio Click here to Send sicaudio a Private Message Find more posts by sicaudio Add sicaudio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
newfosgatesucks

pre-drill with 1/8 inch bit and use coarse thread sheetrock screws. Use a countersink and 2" screws on the box, 1-1/4 on the subs. Using a bottle of wood glue put a drop on each screw hole in the box as it will go down in the threads and strengthen as it hardens, so the box won't vibrate apart.

New Post 03-01-2011 02:34 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for newfosgatesucks Click here to Send newfosgatesucks a Private Message Find more posts by newfosgatesucks Add newfosgatesucks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sicaudio

i use a 3/32" bit with built in CS and 1-5/8" screws..but i also use TB2 ;) and resin the interior for a fee..and route the edges...and apply spray on line-x bed liner... lolz I do it all ;)

New Post 03-01-2011 10:37 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sicaudio Click here to Send sicaudio a Private Message Find more posts by sicaudio Add sicaudio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
newfosgatesucks

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 03-01-2011 by sicaudio
i use a 3/32" bit with built in CS and 1-5/8" screws..but i also use TB2 ;) and resin the interior for a fee..and route the edges...and apply spray on line-x bed liner... lolz I do it all ;)

What is your opinion of carpeted enclosures, I dislike the air leak problem, although I am aware of the several fixes... And the resin is always a +! I didn't do mine, as I was already .02 cubic feet low of my target Q...but I am braced to hell with 1 inch baffle. Still thinking about fab-glassing a box, I'm at 7.5 cubic feet with 3/4 cabinet grade and I think I can get to 9 feet with glass... ....there's at least 14 pieces to my box, in an acura trunk, to get space..I could always kill the back seat and do dual 6ft ported, but it's just tacky for daily... I gotta go sand a guitar down.

New Post 03-02-2011 11:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for newfosgatesucks Click here to Send newfosgatesucks a Private Message Find more posts by newfosgatesucks Add newfosgatesucks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sicaudio

anytime I carpet an enclosure i sink the sub into the face with a routed channel so there is no airleak :)...personally I think carpet is gay....I prefer paint and Line-X :)

New Post 03-02-2011 10:42 PM
billhofe128

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 03-01-2011 by sicaudio

sounds like exactly what i do

New Post 03-03-2011 07:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for billhofe128 Click here to Send billhofe128 a Private Message Find more posts by billhofe128 Add billhofe128 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
newfosgatesucks

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 03-02-2011 by sicaudio
anytime I carpet an enclosure i sink the sub into the face with a routed channel so there is no airleak :)...personally I think carpet is gay....I prefer paint and Line-X :)

That's actually a cool idea. I seldom carpet one. Never have on my ride. I always make the box a little on the small side if it's carpeted.

New Post 03-03-2011 07:52 PM
F1reFly

RE: screws are not for retards!

quote:
Originally posted on 02-22-2011 by ericeric124

pre-drill your holes buddy or use a nail gun. dont try to sound like such a noob. take a woodshop class at your local community college . And yes mdf, like any wood will crack if not pre-drilled. screws well help ensure your box is more rigid and dense and can help keep sound pressure in better for a more linear sound wave. use screws and wood glue

whoa, easy there hardass. if i sounded like a noob who didn't pay for woodshop just to drill some woofer holes then guess what, i probably am one. lol hardass's are funny

New Post 03-08-2011 08:05 PM
sicaudio

no doubt Firefly lol especially since he is wrong... MDF has 0 wood in it....it is paper and glue lolz hence the name medium density fiberboard...

New Post 03-08-2011 10:03 PM
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (1): [1]

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. reagan1, from Rowlett, TX. soltany, from beirut, MI. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. kaotiksyko, from , CO. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting