Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
OnlineCarStereo.com
The best and biggest selection of mobile audio/stereo, multimedia/navigation and accessories at the lowest prices! Kenwood, Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, JVC, Sony, Clarion, Jensen, Infinity, Kicker and more...
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Head Units > stressed..need help. its taking over my life.
Go Back Pages (1): [1]
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Mikedizzle

stressed..need help. its taking over my life.

I have been fighting with "car audio" for the past few months. My situation is like this. I currently have a 12" JL audio subwoofer..running off an MTX amp. Also, I have 2 4x6 Alpine front speakers..and 2 6x9 Alpine speakers..running off a 4channel Infinity amp. They are all running through my Pioneer head unit. (DEH 4100UB) The problem I am having is..I think I have the loudness..but not the clarity. Im confused with all this..Khz, and 2W stuff. THE QUESTIONS I HAVE ARE.. What should my high pass filter be set to on the deck? EQ Lows-Mids-Highs? I have -6 to +6 to play with. Where should those be? Then I have another EQ menu.. that looks like this.. LOW 2khz 2w MID 1khz 2w HI 8khz 2w.. Something like that..how should those be set? I listen to Rap.Heavy Rock..mainly. Sorry to write so much..but really Im about to smash all my 1000s of dollars of stuff..cuz im fed up. PLEASE HELP! ! ! Mikehotshot@aol.com - if you want to contact me directly, that would be GREAT! If you need more info I will provide it. just help!

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 10-13-2010 10:43 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Mikedizzle Click here to Send Mikedizzle a Private Message Find more posts by Mikedizzle Add Mikedizzle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GILLETTE

personally i am always changing my eq settings. i try something for a while and then i will get bored and change it up and so on and so on... i set up my highpass filter by turning off my subs and turing the high pass as high as i can get it this is to say that i block as much bass out of my mids as i can. then i turn the volume up as loud as the mid speakers still sound clear and crisp with no distortion. then i start to back off the filter which starts to add bass in starting with higher frequencies first and they get lower as i reduce the filter. find the most bass that your speakers will play and still not distort it will not take much bass to distort them just play by ear.... if you do not listen to your music at that high of a volume turn it up the the max you play it at and then reduce the filter till it sounds the best. do all of this with the eq all at -0- then at the max volume start to set the eq first bass add as much as sounds good to you or reduce if it distorts then the mid just move around till you like what you hear then the highs if you like lots crank it if not back it off the highs will start to slur together easy so it usually does not take much to distort it just play by ear... once you have established you max volume and cleaned it up the most you can add the subs back and turn the gain up till it matches the highs or as close as you can get and it sound the best it can to you and that is that... helpful?

New Post 10-15-2010 05:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for GILLETTE Click here to Send GILLETTE a Private Message Find more posts by GILLETTE Add GILLETTE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ianarian

Understanding the frequency that each of those numbers are responsible for is helpful too. Say if the vocal pitch is dominating the music, I'll take my 2.2kHz knob and turn it down a lil. If the snare drum isn't pronounced enough, I'll dial it in anywhere from 750Hz - 6kHz..... and so on. High volume clarity will require a good low pass filter setting. Your vehicles speaker style and locations are not in your favor either.

New Post 10-19-2010 05:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ianarian Click here to Send Ianarian a Private Message Find more posts by Ianarian Add Ianarian to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mikedizzle

Hey guys thanks for your help. I will try what you are saying GILETTE and see where it gets me. My main problem is at high volumes everything slurs together..and sounds like a mess..and also I find the SSSS in the vocals are very pronounced. I hate that. Right now I have my settings at L -1 M +2 H +3 High pass at 100Hz Sub 80Hz and cant recall my EQ 2 settings off the top of my head. I can get those if you want and you could suggest what you recommend. Mike

New Post 10-23-2010 01:27 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Mikedizzle Click here to Send Mikedizzle a Private Message Find more posts by Mikedizzle Add Mikedizzle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GILLETTE

from my experience that is how most systems are. well that is most average systems anyway! the pros on here have it all figured out and build accordingly.... i am still learning these things my self but i will put forth my 2 cents and see if it helps... when you crank it up at high volumes the tweeters just slur everything together and you get a super high pitch buzz across the board right....well at some point any system will do that, you are just above the volume in which the speakers can produce the sounds accurately. at some point even with all the tuning perfect to much volume still makes the music muddy and distorted.... i have been looking at going active crossover off of a high end headunit and amping my tweeters separate from the midrange driver so i can tune and tweak everything individually which i am hoping if i get the right stuff i can get some really good output in the end....

New Post 10-23-2010 08:04 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GILLETTE Click here to Send GILLETTE a Private Message Find more posts by GILLETTE Add GILLETTE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mikedizzle

Hey, Yeah that may be the case because I have tiny 4x6 speakers at the front..and im sure they cant handle too too much. Right now, being amped I am probably really pushing them pretty good. I will look at upgrading my front speakers to 6x9s in the near future..I will just have to cut the metal or whatever I gotta do to make them fit and I may be able to get to higher volumes with more clarity. Thanks for your advice. I seem to have my system sounding pretty decent at the moment.

New Post 10-25-2010 01:23 PM
GILLETTE

ya i can imagine that 4x6s are not going to make you happy... i have seen some nice plates with a 4inch mid and then one inch tweeter separate components that were nice... i am glad that you are somewhat happy at the moment, that leads me to believe that we were somewhat helpful and i like that...

New Post 10-26-2010 05:02 PM
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (1): [1]

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. reagan1, from Rowlett, TX. soltany, from beirut, MI. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. kaotiksyko, from , CO. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting