Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
SonicElectronix.com - 1-877-BUY-SONIC
Up to $30.00 in FREE custom install kits on select car stereos. Largest selection online, great prices, Daily Deals and FREE shipping on most products. We are an authorized dealer for Infinity, JBL, JVC, Kicker, MTX, Vibe, RE Audio and others.
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Head Units > need some tech info.
Go Back Pages (1): [1]
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
KJM01

need some tech info.

need some tech. info you guys. Ive got an 05 ford 500 w/ standard audio system, and i just picked up an Alpine CDA-117, and the wiring harness adapter(70-5520) and dash kit(99-5812) from metra just arrived in today(hooray!) from ordering on eBay. Now the question I have is about the orange illumination wire that is on the alpine wire harness is also on the metra wire harness adapter.

What i wanna know is does my car have that option for illumination?Should i join the orange wire or not?It would be nice to be able to turn down the light it is bright but not bad just would be nice to have the option.

I called metra but they are more interested on getting me off the phone than helping WTF i got hung up on after I asked one question.which im not sure is the best answer for me.I asked them about the ground wire. My alpine has a thicker ground wire that is supposed to be grounded to metal behind the dash, but metra customer service said clip the wire and join to the harness.

which way would be better? directly grounding to metal, or joining to the harness wire which is smaller?

thanks for the help!

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 02-26-2011 11:06 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for KJM01 Click here to Send KJM01 a Private Message Find more posts by KJM01 Add KJM01 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sicaudio

RE: need some tech info.

quote:
Originally posted on 02-26-2011 by KJM01

need some tech. info you guys. Ive got an 05 ford 500 w/ standard audio system, and i just picked up an Alpine CDA-117, and the wiring harness adapter(70-5520) and dash kit(99-5812) from metra just arrived in today(hooray!) from ordering on eBay. Now the question I have is about the orange illumination wire that is on the alpine wire harness is also on the metra wire harness adapter.

What i wanna know is does my car have that option for illumination?Should i join the orange wire or not?It would be nice to be able to turn down the light it is bright but not bad just would be nice to have the option.

I called metra but they are more interested on getting me off the phone than helping WTF i got hung up on after I asked one question.which im not sure is the best answer for me.I asked them about the ground wire. My alpine has a thicker ground wire that is supposed to be grounded to metal behind the dash, but metra customer service said clip the wire and join to the harness.

which way would be better? directly grounding to metal, or joining to the harness wire which is smaller?

thanks for the help!

trace the Illum wire from the metra harness to the factory harness ...that will let ya know if the car supports it or not...hook it up regardless so it doesn't short out ;).... ....if it doesnt have it in the factory wiring you can use a dmm to find and tap the Illum wire into any other dash light wire that changes voltage when you change the light dimming on the HL switch ;) .... ... ... ... ... .. always use a fresh wire to metal ground for decks... the factory ground is shitty....... hope this helps answer your question KJ ;)

New Post 02-26-2011 11:43 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sicaudio Click here to Send sicaudio a Private Message Find more posts by sicaudio Add sicaudio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KJM01

RE: RE: need some tech info.

quote:
Originally posted on 02-26-2011 by sicaudio
trace the Illum wire from the metra harness to the factory harness ...that will let ya know if the car supports it or not...hook it up regardless so it doesn't short out ;).... ....if it doesnt have it in the factory wiring you can use a dmm to find and tap the Illum wire into any other dash light wire that changes voltage when you change the light dimming on the HL switch ;) .... ... ... ... ... .. always use a fresh wire to metal ground for decks... the factory ground is shitty....... hope this helps answer your question KJ ;)

Thank you, traced the orange wire my car has no ill wire so ill leave it alone for now. It'll have to be a project for another day.I tried to find a good ground but got nothing but noise so i just wired the ground to the harness and no sound but thanks for the tips.

All I have to say about this h/u F U C K I N G   S I CK(no pun intended)!!! Very nice the stock speakers cant even handle the Alpine at half volume, I cant wait for a little warmer weather so i can install my system. This h/u is definately a night and day diff. from the stock, and even from my old panasonic SQ8305u which wasn't too bad. For $267 at best buy I would reccommend it to anyone who wants a good h/u w/o spending $1000 on the best equiptment.

New Post 02-27-2011 02:49 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for KJM01 Click here to Send KJM01 a Private Message Find more posts by KJM01 Add KJM01 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sicaudio

glad I could help out bro-ski :)

New Post 02-27-2011 06:29 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sicaudio Click here to Send sicaudio a Private Message Find more posts by sicaudio Add sicaudio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (1): [1]

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
kaotiksyko, from , CO. RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY. becesaudio, from davao city, AL. ipodzrcool, from , AL.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting