Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
OnlineCarStereo.com
The best and biggest selection of mobile audio/stereo, multimedia/navigation and accessories at the lowest prices! Kenwood, Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, JVC, Sony, Clarion, Jensen, Infinity, Kicker and more...
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Subwoofers and Speakers > subwoofer smells like its burning
Go Back Pages (5): [1] 2 3 4 5  Next next page
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
tomek77pl

subwoofer smells like its burning

hi i have an Orion CO8001 Car Amplifier - 1 Channel(s) - 800W hooked up to an Hifonics Zeus ZX12D4 12-Inch DVC 4-Ohm normal and with my bass knob half way and my radio turned up 3/4 full with a song that has a lot of base i smell something buring.Is it bad(prob) or is it just the sub breaking in? i had it running for about 2 hrs not full power on the knob and radio. What could the problem be is the sub to strong for the amp or what ? Thanks

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 03-27-2011 03:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for tomek77pl Click here to Send tomek77pl a Private Message Find more posts by tomek77pl Add tomek77pl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
larrypeters86

Where do you have the gain set on the amp?

New Post 03-27-2011 04:02 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for larrypeters86 Click here to Send larrypeters86 a Private Message Find more posts by larrypeters86 Add larrypeters86 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tomek77pl

i dont have my car now cuz its at the machanic but all ofthe switches are turn all the way up so my guess is that it is

New Post 03-27-2011 04:26 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for tomek77pl Click here to Send tomek77pl a Private Message Find more posts by tomek77pl Add tomek77pl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
larrypeters86

There is your answer. You should never....never have the gain turned all the way up. You're clipping the amp and the smell is the coil frying. You are probobly reducing the life of the amp as well.

New Post 03-27-2011 05:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for larrypeters86 Click here to Send larrypeters86 a Private Message Find more posts by larrypeters86 Add larrypeters86 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tomek77pl

what is the specific voltage that i should turn the gain down to? the coil in the sub right?

New Post 03-27-2011 06:13 PM
sicaudio

that sub will take all 800 watts as long as it is not clipped... you really should have someone help ya out...

New Post 03-27-2011 07:03 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sicaudio Click here to Send sicaudio a Private Message Find more posts by sicaudio Add sicaudio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tomek77pl

What does clipped mean on a sub ? I don't want to pay for someone to do it for me I'm on a budget cuz I'm 17 lol is there an site that explains stuff like that I know the basic but I want to learn more

New Post 03-27-2011 08:14 PM
sicaudio

use this chart...Photobucket

New Post 03-27-2011 09:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sicaudio Click here to Send sicaudio a Private Message Find more posts by sicaudio Add sicaudio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ianarian

Many people drive their amplifiers into what could be called a square wave output (white line below). When an amplifier is pushed that hard, it is actually possible to drive the speaker with twice as much power as the amplifier can cleanly produce into the speaker. As you can see below, the yellow sine wave is the maximum 'clean' output that the amp can produce. When an amplifier is pushed way too hard, the signal will eventually look like the white line. The effective voltage of the white line is ~1.414 x the yellow line. This means the the total power driven into the speaker by the clipped (square wave) signal is double the power delivered by the 'clean' signal (yellow line). This means that the power is double but the cooling of the voice coil will not increase in proportion with the power increase (since the voice coil isn't moving as much as it needs to be for the given power dissipation). This will lead to the voice coil overheating. Uploaded with ImageShack.us

New Post 03-28-2011 08:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ianarian Click here to Send Ianarian a Private Message Find more posts by Ianarian Add Ianarian to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ymalmsteen887

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 03-28-2011 by Ianarian
Many people drive their amplifiers into what could be called a square wave output (white line below). When an amplifier is pushed that hard, it is actually possible to drive the speaker with twice as much power as the amplifier can cleanly produce into the speaker. As you can see below, the yellow sine wave is the maximum 'clean' output that the amp can produce. When an amplifier is pushed way too hard, the signal will eventually look like the white line. The effective voltage of the white line is ~1.414 x the yellow line. This means the the total power driven into the speaker by the clipped (square wave) signal is double the power delivered by the 'clean' signal (yellow line). This means that the power is double but the cooling of the voice coil will not increase in proportion with the power increase (since the voice coil isn't moving as much as it needs to be for the given power dissipation). This will lead to the voice coil overheating. Uploaded with ImageShack.us

wow I couldnt understand any of that. I know that if you look at the yellow line as the speakers excursion then its just moving up and down. So the white line is basically showing that its going even faster from the resting position and apparently stopping which doesnt make sense it looks like its going up then the speaker stops and then goes back down which is really wierd.

New Post 03-28-2011 11:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ymalmsteen887 Click here to Send ymalmsteen887 a Private Message Find more posts by ymalmsteen887 Add ymalmsteen887 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sicaudio

RE: RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 03-28-2011 by ymalmsteen887

wow I couldnt understand any of that. I know that if you look at the yellow line as the speakers excursion then its just moving up and down. So the white line is basically showing that its going even faster from the resting position and apparently stopping which doesnt make sense it looks like its going up then the speaker stops and then goes back down which is really wierd.

that is exactly what happens during clipping Ymalm.. the speaker moves then stops dead, but is still receiving power....if it is stopped it cannot move air over the coils which causes excess heat which burns coils ;)

New Post 03-28-2011 12:14 PM
tomek77pl

I understand that now i am going to turn the gain down with that chart but in the manual for my amp it says that the gain goes up to 8 volts and for my amp that has 400 rms which on the chart is 40 volts can the amp produce that? I smelled the burning twice and once i smelled it i turned it down could that ruin the amp or did it just decrese the life of it?

New Post 03-28-2011 01:20 PM
sicaudio

you need to be at 28 volts not 40...40 is for 1 ohm and ur sub wires at 2 or 8....400W RMS x 1 at 2ohms Car Amp 300 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms that is your amp... it does 400 rms at 2 ohms...so 28 -30 volts is the max you want to set it at and u have to use a -6db 60hz wav file not a mp3...

New Post 03-28-2011 03:26 PM
tomek77pl

my amp is ZX12D4 12-Inch DVC 4-Ohm so its an 4 Ohm sub and there is a 2 Ohm version which i didnt get but would my sub the 4 Ohm version work fine on 2 Ohms?

New Post 03-28-2011 06:36 PM
tomek77pl

hey guys i got mmy car today so i went right to work on the subs/amp got a 60 Hz test audio song and i tuned the gained to 28.64 v bridged.I hooked up the sub to 2 Ohm but it doesnt sound loud at all. With the hifonics 12" sub there i two pairs of terminals and they both are marked the same so how do i know which is voice coil one and coil ? does it matter which coil goes first i am using this diagram to wire my sub http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/ca/learningcenter/car/subwoofer_wiring/1DVC_2-ohm_2ch.jpg but i cant figure out the terminals. I also have a KIV-BT900 kenwood radio and i have the x over setup and i set the sub to 120Hz and -6 slope but 12 sounds louder is that a good setup or does it just depend on me and what i like?

New Post 03-28-2011 11:05 PM
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (5): [1] 2 3 4 5  Next next page

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. soltany, from beirut, MI. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. kaotiksyko, from , CO. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY. becesaudio, from davao city, AL.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting