Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
SonicElectronix.com - 1-877-BUY-SONIC
Up to $30.00 in FREE custom install kits on select car stereos. Largest selection online, great prices, Daily Deals and FREE shipping on most products. We are an authorized dealer for Infinity, JBL, JVC, Kicker, MTX, Vibe, RE Audio and others.
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Subwoofers and Speakers > Speaker Prices. Whats good and whats overpriced(cont)
Go Back Pages (5): [1] 2 3 4 5  Next next page
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ymalmsteen887

Speaker Prices. Whats good and whats overpriced(cont)

Yeah ok new thread. Hey I was wondering why you never hear alot about 18inch speakers even from you guys.? The only people I know who are doing 18s are steve meade and that krypto white guy and lukethebeast. Are 18s not that great or something?

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 04-14-2011 01:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ymalmsteen887 Click here to Send ymalmsteen887 a Private Message Find more posts by ymalmsteen887 Add ymalmsteen887 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sicaudio

18's are amazing... but in 6cf I can fit 4 12's...get louder and just about as low....it is all preference...if you wanna play 10hz get an 18...if ya wanna play 25-80 loud as shit get 10's and 12's.....

New Post 04-14-2011 11:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sicaudio Click here to Send sicaudio a Private Message Find more posts by sicaudio Add sicaudio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ymalmsteen887

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 04-14-2011 by sicaudio
18's are amazing... but in 6cf I can fit 4 12's...get louder and just about as low....it is all preference...if you wanna play 10hz get an 18...if ya wanna play 25-80 loud as shit get 10's and 12's.....

If that were true than steve would be using 10s or 12s. Cause all the music he plays is like 30hz through 80hz practically.

New Post 04-14-2011 09:25 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ymalmsteen887 Click here to Send ymalmsteen887 a Private Message Find more posts by ymalmsteen887 Add ymalmsteen887 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
larrypeters86

Plain and simple......Space.

New Post 04-14-2011 09:26 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for larrypeters86 Click here to Send larrypeters86 a Private Message Find more posts by larrypeters86 Add larrypeters86 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sicaudio

next time sintorman comes over this way he can tell ya how loud and low my setup is ;) he got a small demo on dead batteries...my low voltage cutoff is set at 11 volts...it automatically cuts poweer to the amps via the remote turn on circuit so he got to hear it for about 10 seconds at a time at maybe 50% volume ...i just upgraded it...and have ot all charged and ready to rock...and i have 12's...its all in the box and the sub being used...and what you are using it for..

New Post 04-14-2011 10:49 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sicaudio Click here to Send sicaudio a Private Message Find more posts by sicaudio Add sicaudio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ymalmsteen887

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 04-14-2011 by sicaudio
next time sintorman comes over this way he can tell ya how loud and low my setup is ;) he got a small demo on dead batteries...my low voltage cutoff is set at 11 volts...it automatically cuts poweer to the amps via the remote turn on circuit so he got to hear it for about 10 seconds at a time at maybe 50% volume ...i just upgraded it...and have ot all charged and ready to rock...and i have 12's...its all in the box and the sub being used...and what you are using it for..

Well right now I wouldnt know the difference but I took a tennis ball in a pool of water when the water was perfectly still and had it make waves with a small excursion(well the equvialent to it in water whatever) and a wavelength of like 1inch. Then I took a basketball and could make a huge excursion with a wavelength over a foot. So what I took from this is that the bigger the spaeker its going to perform lower and louder at that frequency than a smaller woofer. Even when i made the tennies ball vibrate at the frequency I was doing with the basketball I was never able to make the excursion as big the water just started behaving wildly. But with the basket ball I could make the same high frequency as the tennis ball but if I tried to make the excursion bigger the water would also start behaving wildly. So from that it seems that a bigger woofer could also do what the smaller woofer is doing but isnt efficient to do so(it was alot more difficult to make the Bball move as fast as the tennis ball). So 18s are going to do much louder at lower frequencies.

New Post 04-15-2011 01:08 PM
SINTORMAN

generally speaking in almost all cases yes a larger woofer can make lows better that a smaller counterpart. but you also have to think about box tuning and box volume. If you have an 18 in a box tuned to 40-45hz then a 12 in a 30hz box then that 12 will definitely go lower.

New Post 04-15-2011 01:36 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for SINTORMAN Click here to Send SINTORMAN a Private Message Find more posts by SINTORMAN Add SINTORMAN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ymalmsteen887

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 04-15-2011 by SINTORMAN
generally speaking in almost all cases yes a larger woofer can make lows better that a smaller counterpart. but you also have to think about box tuning and box volume. If you have an 18 in a box tuned to 40-45hz then a 12 in a 30hz box then that 12 will definitely go lower.

comment removed.

New Post 04-15-2011 02:38 PM
ymalmsteen887

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 04-15-2011 by SINTORMAN

Comment removed.

New Post 04-18-2011 11:34 PM
ymalmsteen887

Hey does anybody know any good videos on how to build enclosures? paticualarly on youtube. it doesnt have to be a good enclosure they are building just want to know all the stuuf I need to put together.

New Post 04-19-2011 01:30 AM
ymalmsteen887

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWk_WLopmZ8

Is this tutorial anygood? Also I dont understand why it says that building something with your own two hands is good and that you will blow your buddies away with prefab boxes. Why wouldnt they just buil a prefab box to be tuned at 31hz and be done with it? Surely they would ahve caught on by now.

New Post 04-19-2011 01:38 AM
SINTORMAN

NO this tutorial really is ameture. These people are trying to be professional but they are making dumb mistakes throughout the video IMO. And really my friends who know nothing about car audio could put that amp in a better place and more cleanly. First off what they said about getting the pieces precut is a good idea if you don't have something that can make straight accurate cuts. I think home depot will do it for you pretty cheap. Then don't just hold the pieces together come on fools. Use a square and start with just 2 pieces. Use glue between the seam then brad nail them together. Then Move on to the other sides. Never pre-drill first IMO because if you do it wrong your stuck. If you nail first then you can always pull it apart and redo it. Once your box is completely glued and brad nailed then pre-drill your holes and screw the box together. This will squeeze all of the joints spreading the glue throughout and provide a leak proof seal. I would use a type of screw that is either square bit or some other non flat head or philips because it is a lot harder to strip the head on the screws then. And biggie here. If you can get someone to help you when assembling the box. Makes it loads easier for a person new to box building. And for mounting the sub. I only use t-nuts because screws are really something you can eff up very easily. And I seal my subs with some caulk. Sic you can correct me on anything here but this is how I do it and my boxes are decent looking and perform quite well. Ughh their cable management is horrible. Sorry for such a long reply. hope its useful.

New Post 04-19-2011 01:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for SINTORMAN Click here to Send SINTORMAN a Private Message Find more posts by SINTORMAN Add SINTORMAN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SINTORMAN

whoops double posted.

New Post 04-19-2011 01:59 AM
sicaudio

i actually clamp nail drill screw 1 panel at a time .....to keep it square i use picture frame corner clamps at the start ;) by doing 1 corner 1st it helps it along...also if you take too long screwing after its all built too much glue is dried already... the screws are there to replace clamps...they hold it tight while glue is drying...and give added strength afetr it is dry

New Post 04-19-2011 09:13 AM
ymalmsteen887

So basically I screw the holes than apply glue than put the wood together and than put the screws in? How do I connect the pvc pipe in the hole i need very specific instructions on where to place it. Sic what size hole did you say the port needed to be and what size pvc width and height?

Oh yeah almost forgot what about where the positive and negative wires go how to go about that?

New Post 04-19-2011 12:19 PM
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (5): [1] 2 3 4 5  Next next page

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. reagan1, from Rowlett, TX. soltany, from beirut, MI. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. kaotiksyko, from , CO. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting