Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
SonicElectronix.com - 1-877-BUY-SONIC
Up to $30.00 in FREE custom install kits on select car stereos. Largest selection online, great prices, Daily Deals and FREE shipping on most products. We are an authorized dealer for Infinity, JBL, JVC, Kicker, MTX, Vibe, RE Audio and others.
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Amplifiers > Help on new anp and choosing speakers
Go Back Pages (1): [1]
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
tunzi

Help on new anp and choosing speakers

Obviously I don't have a lot of knowledge ,like the rest of you on this forum,but I really need your help. Our previous car is a 2005 Sebring and when I had purchased it back then I bought the amp and speaker all new and had it installed. We just purchased a 2011 hyundai sonata ( not with the upgraded sound system) I guess we're now so use to the way our other car sounds that it sounds like where listening to a child's stereo in the new car.My husband says it sounds like a typical 4 cyl stock stereo:( Anyways I want to suprize him and at least make it to the point that it is enjoyable:) The other amp was a sony .This one is second hand. I had a choice between a Kenwood and an ARC.The kenwood was a 2 amp and the Arc is a 4 amp . I saw one thread somewhere on the internet that said Arc was better ,so I chose it over the Kenwood.Then I had someone else give me the opinion that Kenwood is better !:( I am not even sure about the ages now that I see their is old style and new style amps everyone is speaking about . Well here is the specs model ARC 4050CXL 2*70 watts,03% THD@4 ohms typ 2*110 watts 0.4% THD@ 2 ohms typ built in variable crossover with 10 range 18db with variable boost the kenwood had these for specs Specs: 150 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms 230 watts x 2 at 2 ohms 460 watts RMS x 1 bridged output at 4 ohms stereo or bridged mono output 4-ohm stable in bridged mode Tri-way capable (Tri-Way crossover required) MOSFET power supply requires 4-gauge power and ground leads  wiring and hardware not included with amplifier variable low-pass crossover (50-200 Hz at 18 dB per octave) selectable high-pass crossover (150 Hz at 12 dB per octave) selectable bass boost (12 dB at 90 Hz) preamp- and speaker-level inputs preamp outputs cooling fan I guess I should of chose the Kenwood :( Anyways can I get some advise in what to look for in speakers? As I know we had changed the OEM in the sebring with the new amp. I don't think th hyundai speakers would last with an amp . Really need the help in info ,and suggestions

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 04-27-2011 01:13 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for tunzi Click here to Send tunzi a Private Message Find more posts by tunzi Add tunzi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gameguru1360

RE: Help on new anp and choosing speakers

quote:
Originally posted on 04-27-2011 by tunzi
Obviously I don't have a lot of knowledge ,like the rest of you on this forum,but I really need your help. Our previous car is a 2005 Sebring and when I had purchased it back then I bought the amp and speaker all new and had it installed. We just purchased a 2011 hyundai sonata ( not with the upgraded sound system) I guess we're now so use to the way our other car sounds that it sounds like where listening to a child's stereo in the new car.My husband says it sounds like a typical 4 cyl stock stereo:( Anyways I want to suprize him and at least make it to the point that it is enjoyable:) The other amp was a sony .This one is second hand. I had a choice between a Kenwood and an ARC.The kenwood was a 2 amp and the Arc is a 4 amp . I saw one thread somewhere on the internet that said Arc was better ,so I chose it over the Kenwood.Then I had someone else give me the opinion that Kenwood is better !:( I am not even sure about the ages now that I see their is old style and new style amps everyone is speaking about . Well here is the specs model ARC 4050CXL 2*70 watts,03% THD@4 ohms typ 2*110 watts 0.4% THD@ 2 ohms typ built in variable crossover with 10 range 18db with variable boost the kenwood had these for specs Specs: 150 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms 230 watts x 2 at 2 ohms 460 watts RMS x 1 bridged output at 4 ohms stereo or bridged mono output 4-ohm stable in bridged mode Tri-way capable (Tri-Way crossover required) MOSFET power supply requires 4-gauge power and ground leads  wiring and hardware not included with amplifier variable low-pass crossover (50-200 Hz at 18 dB per octave) selectable high-pass crossover (150 Hz at 12 dB per octave) selectable bass boost (12 dB at 90 Hz) preamp- and speaker-level inputs preamp outputs cooling fan I guess I should of chose the Kenwood :( Anyways can I get some advise in what to look for in speakers? As I know we had changed the OEM in the sebring with the new amp. I don't think th hyundai speakers would last with an amp . Really need the help in info ,and suggestions

well you're definitely right about the stock speakers. Stock speakers are usually made of paper so they can't really handle an aftermarket head unit or an amp to power them. What's your budget?? I would ask SicAudio....he's the guru on here as far as coordinating a package for you since he's done installs for a very long time and sells new car audio gear plus he'll give you a warranty.

you can look up what size speakers your hyndai sonata has on crutchfield.com to see what brands fit, then ask SicAudio. Crutchfield isn't the cheapest place to buy gear from. I've only bought head units from them because they include the exact wiring harness and faceplate kits.

Even premium sound systems are junk because sooner or later you'll want to upgrade the head unit or add an amp and most of the time, factory premium systems make it harder for you to add on components.

Also you should state what kind of music you listen to on this thread as well as whether or not you want to add a sub to your hyundai sonata.

New Post 04-27-2011 03:15 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for gameguru1360 Click here to Send gameguru1360 a Private Message Find more posts by gameguru1360 Add gameguru1360 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tunzi

speakers

Thanks for the website.In the back of my mind I was thinking it had the same speaker set up as our car! Dead wrong . Here is the info their online support provided me :) You have a 3 1/2" in the dash, and you can fit 6 1/2" or 5 1/4" in the doors front and back with the bracket that we send. In the rear deck there is a 8" factory sub. The rear deck must be removed to access the subwoofer location. Fabricate a bracket to mount an aftermarket subwoofer. The factory subwoofer has two voice coils, each with a 2-ohm impedance. My head is spinning...but I guess this mean I can not by th JBL's I was thinking about .I was getting a good deal on 6*9. Don't want to just go into the car installation guys garage because I know they will have me buying everything ,because they figure they could just sell it to me .

New Post 04-27-2011 04:04 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for tunzi Click here to Send tunzi a Private Message Find more posts by tunzi Add tunzi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gameguru1360

it looks like you have a 3.5" in the dash, 6.5" in the front doors and the rear deck. In order to have a 6x9 speaker, you'll probably need to cut out the opening on the rear deck and put mounting plates.

Your factory sub could probably be accessed from the trunk. Only time you'd need to remove the rear seat cushion and seats is to get to the rear deck faceplate. I'm assuming the screws that hold your rear speakers are underneath the rear fabric faceplate. Seems like nowadays, they don't make bottom mounted speakers anymore...my old 86 pontiac grand am had bottom mounted which made it much easier to switch out the rear speakers.

if you're concerned with trunk space, you could always go with a sealed enclosure. There are custom sealed enclosures that can be molded to fit the contour of your trunk so that it looks clean and streamlined.

You don't have to stick with a size 8" sub...you could probably go with a 10" or 12"

New Post 04-27-2011 05:17 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for gameguru1360 Click here to Send gameguru1360 a Private Message Find more posts by gameguru1360 Add gameguru1360 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tunzi

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 04-27-2011 by gameguru1360
it looks like you have a 3.5" in the dash, 6.5" in the front doors and the rear deck. In order to have a 6x9 speaker, you'll probably need to cut out the opening on the rear deck and put mounting plates.

Your factory sub could probably be accessed from the trunk. Only time you'd need to remove the rear seat cushion and seats is to get to the rear deck faceplate. I'm assuming the screws that hold your rear speakers are underneath the rear fabric faceplate. Seems like nowadays, they don't make bottom mounted speakers anymore...my old 86 pontiac grand am had bottom mounted which made it much easier to switch out the rear speakers.

if you're concerned with trunk space, you could always go with a sealed enclosure. There are custom sealed enclosures that can be molded to fit the contour of your trunk so that it looks clean and streamlined.

You don't have to stick with a size 8" sub...you could probably go with a 10" or 12"

I was thinking about that .Your right my 94 grand am was like that ,in fact if I can remember correctly I believe my 2005 Chrysler sebring is like that as well . I'll be spending tonight looking though the reviews and thoughts of speakers. Now I am considering do I keep the Arc amp I purchased or should I buy a newer one and just end the debate in my mind? I was even looking on ebay , but saw one of the posts about a complaint about a seller as well it came to my mind a friend had purchased from ebay and received one speaker blown Music Genre Well mostly rock ,but at the same time I also listen to some dance/club as well . I guess technically every sound system I had installed though had a lot of base

New Post 04-27-2011 09:58 PM
Mr12Voltwires

As far as choosing speakers for your car, figure out your budget and go to a local shop and listen to them with a CD/iPod with YOUR music on it. The speakers that sound best to you and fit your budget are the ones for you. Everyone has different ears & taste in music. When choosing an amplifier, stick with reputable brands like Alpine, Kenwood, etc. A rule of thumb is $1 per watt. It's like anything else: 2000 watt amp for $200 - sounds too good to be true. If you're going to use a subwoofer in the system, it's always best to have a dedicated amplifier for it. If your budget won't allow multiple amps, I've used Alpine's PDX-5 in a few systems and really like it. Good luck with your system.

New Post 05-22-2011 04:01 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Mr12Voltwires Click here to Send Mr12Voltwires a Private Message Find more posts by Mr12Voltwires Add Mr12Voltwires to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gameguru1360

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 05-22-2011 by Mr12Voltwires
As far as choosing speakers for your car, figure out your budget and go to a local shop and listen to them with a CD/iPod with YOUR music on it. The speakers that sound best to you and fit your budget are the ones for you. Everyone has different ears & taste in music. When choosing an amplifier, stick with reputable brands like Alpine, Kenwood, etc. A rule of thumb is $1 per watt. It's like anything else: 2000 watt amp for $200 - sounds too good to be true. If you're going to use a subwoofer in the system, it's always best to have a dedicated amplifier for it. If your budget won't allow multiple amps, I've used Alpine's PDX-5 in a few systems and really like it. Good luck with your system.

yeah those 5 channel amps are good if you're on a budget or if you plan on doing the wiring yourself, 5 channel amps reduce the clutter with multiple separate amps. Plus those PDX line of Alpine amps are pretty nice. They're very compact and have a sleek design which allows them to be easily stacked on top of each other.

New Post 05-22-2011 05:10 PM
SINTORMAN

1$ per watt. sheesh i think someones over paying. Even sundown amps are like 50 to 25 cents per watt.

New Post 05-23-2011 01:25 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for SINTORMAN Click here to Send SINTORMAN a Private Message Find more posts by SINTORMAN Add SINTORMAN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sicaudio

closer to 65 cents a watt...a good BRZ is around 15-20 cents a watt...

New Post 05-23-2011 01:29 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sicaudio Click here to Send sicaudio a Private Message Find more posts by sicaudio Add sicaudio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (1): [1]

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. reagan1, from Rowlett, TX. soltany, from beirut, MI. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. kaotiksyko, from , CO. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting