Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
OnlineCarStereo.com
The best and biggest selection of mobile audio/stereo, multimedia/navigation and accessories at the lowest prices! Kenwood, Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, JVC, Sony, Clarion, Jensen, Infinity, Kicker and more...
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Amplifiers > Mounting amp to enclosure
Go Back Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4  Next next page
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
twojays

Mounting amp to enclosure

So in your expert opinions, is it a bad idea to mount an amp to an enclosure?  I hear it's bad because the vibrations from the sub will rattle the insides of the amp.  However, I see it done all the time.  I ask because I thing it will save me some space in the trunk especially with an extra battery back there.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 04-29-2011 05:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for twojays Click here to Send twojays a Private Message Find more posts by twojays Add twojays to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sicaudio

IF you mount it to the enclosure use an extra baffle to help minimize vibration...the vibration at the subsonic level is what causes them to get fubared...

New Post 04-29-2011 10:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sicaudio Click here to Send sicaudio a Private Message Find more posts by sicaudio Add sicaudio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gameguru1360

you don't have space to mount the amp behind the seats??

New Post 04-29-2011 11:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for gameguru1360 Click here to Send gameguru1360 a Private Message Find more posts by gameguru1360 Add gameguru1360 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
twojays

I suppose I could mount to the backs of the seat.  Only problem with the current set up is that the 15" is like and inch or two away from the back of the seat facing inwards.

New Post 04-29-2011 02:30 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for twojays Click here to Send twojays a Private Message Find more posts by twojays Add twojays to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gameguru1360

you could always mount 12v fans to give your amp more ventilation or cooling.

New Post 04-30-2011 12:38 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for gameguru1360 Click here to Send gameguru1360 a Private Message Find more posts by gameguru1360 Add gameguru1360 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
1sr

It should be ok unless if you have a tube amp. I doubt it but if you do, you have to be really careful where you mount it. If you ever look at the US Amp owners manual it talks all about the mounting of the tube amps.

New Post 05-01-2011 09:02 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for 1sr Click here to Send 1sr a Private Message Find more posts by 1sr Add 1sr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
andymtx

I have one question...Where in your car could you mount an amp where it won't vibrate? I have been in car audio since 1988 and have never encountered a bad amp due to vibration. Heat, yes. Low impedence, yes. Not mounting it and it sliding around the trunk, yes, but never vibration due to being mounted to an enclosure.

New Post 05-05-2011 04:21 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for andymtx Click here to Send andymtx a Private Message Find more posts by andymtx Add andymtx to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sicaudio

well back then we didnt run 1000's of watts either...so it was common practice... anything more than 500 or and I will never do it... shoot chris at DB-r an email... he will tell you how many 10's of thousands he has repaired due to vibration damage..

New Post 05-05-2011 08:03 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sicaudio Click here to Send sicaudio a Private Message Find more posts by sicaudio Add sicaudio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
andymtx

what do you mean "back then"? I wrote I have been into car audio since 1988, that meant I am still into it.  I am very familiar with 1000W plus amps (read other posts). Maybe you need to look into better built amps (?)

New Post 05-06-2011 12:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for andymtx Click here to Send andymtx a Private Message Find more posts by andymtx Add andymtx to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
andymtx

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 05-05-2011 by sicaudio
well back then we didnt run 1000's of watts either...so it was common practice... anything more than 500 or and I will never do it... shoot chris at DB-r an email... he will tell you how many 10's of thousands he has repaired due to vibration damage..

10s of thousands????? he must have fixed every amp ever built!

New Post 05-06-2011 01:11 AM
sicaudio

according to him he has repaired 10's of thousands... he has been at it a very long time... and no manufacturer i know of regardless of brand endorses mounting amplifiers to enclosures...in fact most warn against it.....even a saz4500 is gonna fail in time.... it is just physics.... little tiny soft solder joints being subjected to severely high levels of sub-sonic harmonics...it WILL fail...when is the question is all...

New Post 05-06-2011 09:21 AM
BlackShogun

I cannot see a problem with mounting on an enclosure, unless your about to push some major amps out of the speaker. I have never had vibration damage on an amplifier, and don't know of anyone who ever has. Just make sure that if the amp is to be seen, that you give it a good display and try to hide the wires well without compromising your wiring setup. In your case, definitely use connectors.

New Post 05-09-2011 02:32 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for BlackShogun Click here to Send BlackShogun a Private Message Find more posts by BlackShogun Add BlackShogun to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
1sr

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 05-09-2011 by BlackShogun
I cannot see a problem with mounting on an enclosure, unless your about to push some major amps out of the speaker. I have never had vibration damage on an amplifier, and don't know of anyone who ever has. Just make sure that if the amp is to be seen, that you give it a good display and try to hide the wires well without compromising your wiring setup. In your case, definitely use connectors.

"pushing major amps out of the speakers".

New Post 05-09-2011 09:22 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for 1sr Click here to Send 1sr a Private Message Find more posts by 1sr Add 1sr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BlackShogun

I meant to say, pushing major wattage out of the speakers.

New Post 05-09-2011 09:32 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for BlackShogun Click here to Send BlackShogun a Private Message Find more posts by BlackShogun Add BlackShogun to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sicaudio

I have seen with my own eyes the effects of harmonic vibration on amplifiers so i wont argue the issue... most companies say in the manual not to do it... they say it for a damn good reason...

New Post 05-09-2011 10:24 PM
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4  Next next page

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. reagan1, from Rowlett, TX. soltany, from beirut, MI. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. kaotiksyko, from , CO. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting