Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
SonicElectronix.com - 1-877-BUY-SONIC
Up to $30.00 in FREE custom install kits on select car stereos. Largest selection online, great prices, Daily Deals and FREE shipping on most products. We are an authorized dealer for Infinity, JBL, JVC, Kicker, MTX, Vibe, RE Audio and others.
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Amplifiers > Stock Alternator and 1700rms amp
Go Back Pages (3): [1] 2 3  Next next page
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
evilpulse8

Stock Alternator and 1700rms amp

Will a Brutus BRZ1700.1(1700rms) mono amp cause dimming to an 03 passat with HID's? will be running two RE Audio SEX subs. If I'm correct, the stock alt is a 120 amp. Good enough?

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 05-09-2011 12:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for evilpulse8 Click here to Send evilpulse8 a Private Message Find more posts by evilpulse8 Add evilpulse8 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sicaudio

their will be some dimming.. use at the least high quality OFC 4 gauge.. I would use 2Gauge personally.. and ur still gonna need more than a stock battery... the 1700 will do 2000 rms all day long... that is 200 amps of current..

New Post 05-09-2011 09:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sicaudio Click here to Send sicaudio a Private Message Find more posts by sicaudio Add sicaudio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gameguru1360

damn, maybe I should've sprung for that brz1700!! how much more does the brz1200 do daily??

New Post 05-30-2011 01:18 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for gameguru1360 Click here to Send gameguru1360 a Private Message Find more posts by gameguru1360 Add gameguru1360 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
evilpulse8

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 05-30-2011 by gameguru1360
damn, maybe I should've sprung for that brz1700!! how much more does the brz1200 do daily??

the brz1200 does less. I had that one before. was not powering enough the two Re SEX 12's I use. That is why I want to go with the brz1700. I won't be slamming them hard though. just a big bump while cruising and slam it when idled. Not an all day full out use. That is also why I put them in a L vented box tuned @ 33hz. I go for SQ not spl. so full out power is not my intention while driving unless the amp will actually drain the power and cause my hid's to flicker. But the brz1200 is still good hands down

New Post 06-05-2011 08:35 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for evilpulse8 Click here to Send evilpulse8 a Private Message Find more posts by evilpulse8 Add evilpulse8 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GILLETTE

a 1700.1 sounds like a proper match for 2 sex 12"s to me. i would imagine that you would be getting some pretty good voltage drop from a 1700w rms amp.  that amp should be capable of drawing 120amps which is how much your alternator puts out, meaning to me that you will need a bit of a battery bank to keep that amp fed or a larger alternator is in demand, i am not really at liberty to talk in facts just my theories and understandings.... maybe if you did a solid big three with a good carstereo battery in your truck you may be in good shape.........

New Post 06-05-2011 09:25 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GILLETTE Click here to Send GILLETTE a Private Message Find more posts by GILLETTE Add GILLETTE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
evilpulse8

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 06-05-2011 by GILLETTE

a 1700.1 sounds like a proper match for 2 sex 12"s to me. i would imagine that you would be getting some pretty good voltage drop from a 1700w rms amp.  that amp should be capable of drawing 120amps which is how much your alternator puts out, meaning to me that you will need a bit of a battery bank to keep that amp fed or a larger alternator is in demand, i am not really at liberty to talk in facts just my theories and understandings.... maybe if you did a solid big three with a good carstereo battery in your truck you may be in good shape.........

I have never done a secondary battery set up yet. What would I need? I have a KINETIK HC600 laying around in my garage :)

New Post 06-05-2011 09:56 PM
GILLETTE

that just might do the trick.....

parallel wire the two batteries with the kenetic as close to the amp as you can get then run same guage wire as rest and hook the + from the kenetic to the amp and then ground the amp. in the end the 2 batteries and amp are all on a run of power cable and then then each is grounded to the frame...... does that make sence...... 

New Post 06-05-2011 11:25 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GILLETTE Click here to Send GILLETTE a Private Message Find more posts by GILLETTE Add GILLETTE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SINTORMAN

from my experience stock alts never put out what they are rated at even at full rpm. 1. They use cheap materials. 2. Most today are computer controlled and try to produce as little as possible so its always fighting you. I would get a 200 amp ho alt and use the kinetik battery and you will be fine.

New Post 06-05-2011 11:39 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for SINTORMAN Click here to Send SINTORMAN a Private Message Find more posts by SINTORMAN Add SINTORMAN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
evilpulse8

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 06-05-2011 by GILLETTE
that just might do the trick.....

parallel wire the two batteries with the kenetic as close to the amp as you can get then run same guage wire as rest and hook the + from the kenetic to the amp and then ground the amp. in the end the 2 batteries and amp are all on a run of power cable and then then each is grounded to the frame...... does that make sence...... 

Lol wow I don't know how it's going to be possible to put the two batteries close to the amp. I can only do one since this setup is on my b5.5 passat and not on the range rover. I only have the 2 gauge power cable running from the engine to the trunk since and it's the only cable I can run through without doing any drilling and to top it off the car battery is enclosed in between the engine nd windshield so another won't fit. Any ideas as to wirring the second batt or will an isolator do best? I got the ground covered. It's the second power wire I will have to find a way. What if the second batter placed in the trunk. Main power wire hitting a distribution block, one hitting the amp nd the other hitting the batt(note would be grounded to frame). If in all the main car batt or amp ever need more juice would it suck it out from the second batt??

New Post 06-06-2011 12:42 AM
SINTORMAN

no disco... lol distro block. You take your positive wire that runs the length of the car that used to go to the amp and run it directly to a second battery back there. Then attach another wire to the back battery going to the amp. That will be a bit more efficient and save you some money. And also run the ground to the battery and not the frame for the amp. But run the ground on the battery to the frame.

New Post 06-06-2011 12:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for SINTORMAN Click here to Send SINTORMAN a Private Message Find more posts by SINTORMAN Add SINTORMAN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
evilpulse8

Okay so power wire to batt. Nd batt to amp. Amp ground to batt and batt ground to frame?? Sorry I think too much of the logic so I tend to mis interpret directions I'll post some pics up in the morning if it's not raining

New Post 06-06-2011 01:28 AM
evilpulse8

Okay so power wire to batt. Nd batt to amp. Amp ground to batt and batt ground to frame?? Sorry I think too much of the logic so I tend to mis interpret directions I'll post some pics up in the morning if it's not raining

New Post 06-06-2011 01:28 AM
GILLETTE

just like this with the kenetic in the back next to the amplifier!!!!!!! Uploaded with ImageShack.us

New Post 06-06-2011 11:00 AM
SINTORMAN

I would do that except for running the amp ground to the battery. I think it would save a little time and be more efficient to ground the amp directly to the battery. If keeping grounds as short as possible is a good thing then why run a ground to the frame when you have a battery right next to the amp :)

New Post 06-06-2011 11:05 AM
GILLETTE

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 06-06-2011 by SINTORMAN
I would do that except for running the amp ground to the battery. I think it would save a little time and be more efficient to ground the amp directly to the battery. If keeping grounds as short as possible is a good thing then why run a ground to the frame when you have a battery right next to the amp :)

agreed!!!!!

New Post 06-06-2011 11:11 AM
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (3): [1] 2 3  Next next page

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. kaotiksyko, from , CO. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY. becesaudio, from davao city, AL. ipodzrcool, from , AL.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting