Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
SonicElectronix.com - 1-877-BUY-SONIC
Up to $30.00 in FREE custom install kits on select car stereos. Largest selection online, great prices, Daily Deals and FREE shipping on most products. We are an authorized dealer for Infinity, JBL, JVC, Kicker, MTX, Vibe, RE Audio and others.
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Amplifiers > Very interesting.....
Go Back Pages (2): [1] 2  Next next page
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
larrypeters86

Very interesting.....

Check this out....I stumbled across this site in Germany that the guy posted a buch of bench tests. You have to use Google translate unless you can read German.

http://amp-performance.de/332-ESX.html

Just go to the main menu and he does a bunch of different ones.

google translate....

http://translate.google.com/#

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 05-14-2011 09:02 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for larrypeters86 Click here to Send larrypeters86 a Private Message Find more posts by larrypeters86 Add larrypeters86 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
outlawice

..nice

New Post 05-15-2011 07:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for outlawice Click here to Send outlawice a Private Message Find more posts by outlawice Add outlawice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
outlawice

esx

LP, so the esx 'Q' line was designed for sound quality? or just small footprint

New Post 05-15-2011 11:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for outlawice Click here to Send outlawice a Private Message Find more posts by outlawice Add outlawice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
larrypeters86

RE: esx

quote:
Originally posted on 05-15-2011 by outlawice

LP, so the esx 'Q' line was designed for sound quality? or just small footprint

I would say sq since the larger ones are quite large.

New Post 05-15-2011 11:49 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for larrypeters86 Click here to Send larrypeters86 a Private Message Find more posts by larrypeters86 Add larrypeters86 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
outlawice

esx q

how do yours sound, have you heard better or much better?- and why do you think mantz said  they were ahead of their time when they first came out?  just wondering

New Post 05-16-2011 06:37 PM
larrypeters86

RE: esx q

quote:
Originally posted on 05-16-2011 by outlawice

how do yours sound, have you heard better or much better?- and why do you think mantz said  they were ahead of their time when they first came out?  just wondering

Well...They actually belong to my son. I don't really think an amp has a sound....this is a can of worms but an amp should just amplify the signal that it is given. Unless we're talking about an amp with tubes. Then the amp will have a sound. Everyone has their own opinion on the subject. They have some unique features like taking a 4 channel amp and making it a true monoblock. Active crossovers with bandpass and in general just about as overbuilt as you will likely ever see. Take a look at the manual...It's the last one at the bottom of the page.

http://www.esxaudio.de/downloads_manuals.htm

New Post 05-16-2011 07:52 PM
GILLETTE

dont tubes have a life expectancy, like they dont last forever, dont they burn out over time???? i think that i heard that once but im not sure....

New Post 05-17-2011 02:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GILLETTE Click here to Send GILLETTE a Private Message Find more posts by GILLETTE Add GILLETTE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
larrypeters86

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 05-17-2011 by GILLETTE
dont tubes have a life expectancy, like they dont last forever, dont they burn out over time???? i think that i heard that once but im not sure....

Not sure...I know they are fragile.

New Post 05-17-2011 09:53 PM
larrypeters86

I find myself very interested in the site I posted above. I keep coming across interesting things there. For example......

There is a Crunch BLX1000D that they tested. They only got 538 watts out of the amp but the manual claims 750 watts.

Then we have a Crunch BLX 2000D. manual states 2000 watts at 1 ohm and only tested at 1260 watts.

How about a Hifonics Nemesis NX750D. States 700 watts at 1 ohm but tested at 586 watts.

Lets look at some older stuff.

Hifonics Series VII Zeus. Manual states 900 watts at 4 ohms and it tested at 1121 watts.

Crunch CR250 manual states 360 watts at 4 ohms and tested at 534 watts at 4 ohms.

Crunch CR100 manual states 180 watts at 4 ohms and tested at 256 watts.

The numbers kinda make you go hmmmmmm......

New Post 05-18-2011 08:59 PM
sicaudio

very interesting i dunno bout the crunch stuff Maxx hasn't owned em that long and they have always been rated dynamica not rms ... it is a 500 watt amp not a 750 rms amp..their model number is always the peak dynamic so divide by 2.....

but that nemesis was always known to be an under rated small chassis D class amp good for 850 +... Hmmmmmm is right...of course the 20th anniversary series did have a few build issues.. several build house transfers during that stage.. look at the sampsons...all of them from 1 bh were garbage... the others were monsters lol

New Post 05-18-2011 10:01 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sicaudio Click here to Send sicaudio a Private Message Find more posts by sicaudio Add sicaudio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
larrypeters86

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 05-18-2011 by sicaudio
very interesting i dunno bout the crunch stuff Maxx hasn't owned em that long and they have always been rated dynamica not rms ... it is a 500 watt amp not a 750 rms amp..their model number is always the peak dynamic so divide by 2.....

but that nemesis was always known to be an under rated small chassis D class amp good for 850 +... Hmmmmmm is right...of course the 20th anniversary series did have a few build issues.. several build house transfers during that stage.. look at the sampsons...all of them from 1 bh were garbage... the others were monsters lol

Maybe you would know this Sic....Mantz built the Hifonics up til series X...When did maxxonics buy the company? There is a Colussus XI FE thyat I can't find in the archives at Hifonics...Could that be a eauropean model? If the numbers are supposed to be dynamic why are they listed in the manuals as RMS?

New Post 05-19-2011 06:35 AM
sicaudio

not sure on the manuals... Chinese interpretation? lol I found alot of errors before tho so now Mike makes the manuals personally.

Maxxsonics is only 10 yrs old tho .. they started in 2001 and acquired Mb Quart in 2005.. iirc they bought Hif from Mantz and crunch from another investment company. autotek was bought from a European owner and MBQ was bought to save RF from going belly up because they ran it into the ground because they couldn't manage the germans lol

most people dont realize it is only the name and all of the rights that Maxx owns...the same original German designers still own all the patents and still do all the design work on it...only the manufacturing location has changed. the blackmaxx is from the early days so it may have been 1 of the wrong labeled or over rated lines... I didn't have much dealing with crunch in the early years tho.. only HFI and MBQ..

New Post 05-19-2011 09:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sicaudio Click here to Send sicaudio a Private Message Find more posts by sicaudio Add sicaudio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
larrypeters86

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 05-19-2011 by sicaudio
not sure on the manuals... Chinese interpretation? lol I found alot of errors before tho so now Mike makes the manuals personally.

Maxxsonics is only 10 yrs old tho .. they started in 2001 and acquired Mb Quart in 2005.. iirc they bought Hif from Mantz and crunch from another investment company. autotek was bought from a European owner and MBQ was bought to save RF from going belly up because they ran it into the ground because they couldn't manage the germans lol

most people dont realize it is only the name and all of the rights that Maxx owns...the same original German designers still own all the patents and still do all the design work on it...only the manufacturing location has changed. the blackmaxx is from the early days so it may have been 1 of the wrong labeled or over rated lines... I didn't have much dealing with crunch in the early years tho.. only HFI and MBQ..

Actually mantz never owned hifi...he was the buildhouse.

New Post 05-19-2011 10:30 AM
sicaudio

I gathered from talking to him and this letter he wrote that he OWNED the name and was the bh both...

1980 brought me to America to see my first CES show in Chicago. This was indeed an eye opener for me to see so much gear all in one place. A funny thing happened, I met an old acquaintance at the Visonik booth. He had lived in South Africa and came to the USA in 1977. We got to talking about car sound and he was really amazed at what I was doing back home. He told me that he wanted to leave Visonik and start his own company. A few trips back and for from SA to the USA and I began manufacturing car amplifiers under the name of Hifonics. This name was not a really high-end sounding name after all and so I sat down one Saturday at the factory and put a little thought into it. I had a professional line of amplifiers on the local market and instead of model numbers, I gave them names. My 800, watt pro amp was called Cyclops. The half power version was called; you guessed it Son of Cyclops. So out came the Greek, Nordic and whichever other ancient culture I could think of and I wrote a whole bunch of names down. This is when Vulcan, Odin and Thor were born. These were the first three amplifiers, which I built for Hifonics. 40w/ch, 60w/ch and 100w/ch were their power ratings. On arriving in the USA in August 1983 we began a small manufacturing company  Zed Audio. We started building the second generation of these first three amplifiers and added the fourth called Zeus. Zeus started out as a 200w/ch and when Zed ceased manufacturing for Hifonics in 1994 it was a 350w/ch. Zed and Hifonics started growing like wild fires since we were producing equipmemt which was ahead of its time. At the January CES in Las Vegas I used my then new BMW 735I which I had brought with me from South Africa, to show off the Hifonics equipment. It was a hit. Two 12 Becker subs, a host of Dynaudio midrange and tweeters and of course 5 Zeus amplifiers. For this car I had made a new preamplifier (which I still have today after I sold the car) which sported a 14-band equalizer, 4 channel 10 segment LED displays, Volume and fader controls and a DBX unit. I always preferred cassettes to CDs as I wanted to record my own music especially that from my vinyl collection. I used I highly modified Pioneer KEX70 head unit and later switched to a Clarion. The noise performance with DBX was pretty close to that of CDs. We began building for Autotek in 1985, then Rodek, then Lanzar in 1988. Also built some high end amplifiers for Alphasonik in the mid eighties. Built for Planet Audio/Boss from 1997 to 2000. ESX was conceived in 1996 and we built only one run for them and then they went belly up. The amps I designed for ESX were way too advanced for the car stereo market. Crunch was built in the early nineties. These were really bulletproof amps. Built Cadence amps for about a year in the mid nineties but that did not work out at all. We built the first Nakamichi car amps in 1998 and we still build their present production. We do not build for those above-mentioned companies anymore as they have either gone bankrupt or have their stuff made in the Far East. During the nineties we built high end home amplifiers for Harman Kardon. These were 4 channel THX certified units.

New Post 05-19-2011 11:18 AM
larrypeters86

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 05-19-2011 by sicaudio
I gathered from talking to him and this letter he wrote that he OWNED the name and was the bh both...

1980 brought me to America to see my first CES show in Chicago. This was indeed an eye opener for me to see so much gear all in one place. A funny thing happened, I met an old acquaintance at the Visonik booth. He had lived in South Africa and came to the USA in 1977. We got to talking about car sound and he was really amazed at what I was doing back home. He told me that he wanted to leave Visonik and start his own company. A few trips back and for from SA to the USA and I began manufacturing car amplifiers under the name of Hifonics. This name was not a really high-end sounding name after all and so I sat down one Saturday at the factory and put a little thought into it. I had a professional line of amplifiers on the local market and instead of model numbers, I gave them names. My 800, watt pro amp was called Cyclops. The half power version was called; you guessed it Son of Cyclops. So out came the Greek, Nordic and whichever other ancient culture I could think of and I wrote a whole bunch of names down. This is when Vulcan, Odin and Thor were born. These were the first three amplifiers, which I built for Hifonics. 40w/ch, 60w/ch and 100w/ch were their power ratings. On arriving in the USA in August 1983 we began a small manufacturing company  Zed Audio. We started building the second generation of these first three amplifiers and added the fourth called Zeus. Zeus started out as a 200w/ch and when Zed ceased manufacturing for Hifonics in 1994 it was a 350w/ch. Zed and Hifonics started growing like wild fires since we were producing equipmemt which was ahead of its time. At the January CES in Las Vegas I used my then new BMW 735I which I had brought with me from South Africa, to show off the Hifonics equipment. It was a hit. Two 12 Becker subs, a host of Dynaudio midrange and tweeters and of course 5 Zeus amplifiers. For this car I had made a new preamplifier (which I still have today after I sold the car) which sported a 14-band equalizer, 4 channel 10 segment LED displays, Volume and fader controls and a DBX unit. I always preferred cassettes to CDs as I wanted to record my own music especially that from my vinyl collection. I used I highly modified Pioneer KEX70 head unit and later switched to a Clarion. The noise performance with DBX was pretty close to that of CDs. We began building for Autotek in 1985, then Rodek, then Lanzar in 1988. Also built some high end amplifiers for Alphasonik in the mid eighties. Built for Planet Audio/Boss from 1997 to 2000. ESX was conceived in 1996 and we built only one run for them and then they went belly up. The amps I designed for ESX were way too advanced for the car stereo market. Crunch was built in the early nineties. These were really bulletproof amps. Built Cadence amps for about a year in the mid nineties but that did not work out at all. We built the first Nakamichi car amps in 1998 and we still build their present production. We do not build for those above-mentioned companies anymore as they have either gone bankrupt or have their stuff made in the Far East. During the nineties we built high end home amplifiers for Harman Kardon. These were 4 channel THX certified units.

It is deceptive the way he writes. He states in there that zed stopped manufacturing for hifonics in 94

New Post 05-19-2011 12:34 PM
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (2): [1] 2  Next next page

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. reagan1, from Rowlett, TX. soltany, from beirut, MI. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. kaotiksyko, from , CO. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting