Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
OnlineCarStereo.com
The best and biggest selection of mobile audio/stereo, multimedia/navigation and accessories at the lowest prices! Kenwood, Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, JVC, Sony, Clarion, Jensen, Infinity, Kicker and more...
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Amplifiers > amp crossover setting
Go Back Pages (2): [1] 2  Next next page
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
gameguru1360

amp crossover setting

Sic, what setting should you have an amp powering coaxial or components set at?? should the crossover be set at the HPF or Full setting?? What frequencies should you set the HPF at??

I remember reading on one of the threads about setting the LPF to somewhere around 80hz if it's powered and about 150 or 180hz if the speakers are powered by the head unit.

I have no clue or experience setting the LPF or HPF on an amp for comps as in the past, I've only had my speakers powered by the head unit and had an amp powering a sub. I do know that the crossover on an amp is to protect the speaker or sub from playing frequencies it wasn't designed to do...

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 05-22-2011 07:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for gameguru1360 Click here to Send gameguru1360 a Private Message Find more posts by gameguru1360 Add gameguru1360 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KJM01

mine are set between 80 and 100 somewheres and they sound good

New Post 05-22-2011 08:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for KJM01 Click here to Send KJM01 a Private Message Find more posts by KJM01 Add KJM01 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
larrypeters86

RE: amp crossover setting

quote:
Originally posted on 05-22-2011 by gameguru1360
Sic, what setting should you have an amp powering coaxial or components set at?? should the crossover be set at the HPF or Full setting?? What frequencies should you set the HPF at??

I remember reading on one of the threads about setting the LPF to somewhere around 80hz if it's powered and about 150 or 180hz if the speakers are powered by the head unit.

I have no clue or experience setting the LPF or HPF on an amp for comps as in the past, I've only had my speakers powered by the head unit and had an amp powering a sub. I do know that the crossover on an amp is to protect the speaker or sub from playing frequencies it wasn't designed to do...

You want it set at high pass. Setting it to full it would be getting full range...That would be bad. The actual setting is dictated by how high you want the lp on the sub. I am at 63 hz lp on my mids with a 12 db slope and 63 hz on the sub lp with an 18 db slope. You don't want for example....The sub at 80 and the mids at 150. That wouldn't make sense. You would be cutting out music playing in the middle.80 - 100 is a good starting point...Lower if the mids can take it of course. Right in that range is the kinda sweet spot. What I mean by that is that's where human hearing and our brains get dumb...kinda. Using 63 as my point of crossover makes my sub disapear. It sounds like there is no bass coming from behind except for the back hatch rattling like hell. I can go up to about 80 and I still don't localize the sub. If I go to 100 the bass is coming from behind. <br> It's a kinda game in the end though. the lower you want to cross the more power you need to get loud. I'll stop rambling now....

New Post 05-22-2011 09:40 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for larrypeters86 Click here to Send larrypeters86 a Private Message Find more posts by larrypeters86 Add larrypeters86 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sicaudio

try them at around 80hz and up they should do well there if installed right

New Post 05-22-2011 09:41 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sicaudio Click here to Send sicaudio a Private Message Find more posts by sicaudio Add sicaudio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gameguru1360

in what situation would you ever use full range??

New Post 05-22-2011 11:09 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for gameguru1360 Click here to Send gameguru1360 a Private Message Find more posts by gameguru1360 Add gameguru1360 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sicaudio

when you dont have subs... or if you are driving coax sometimes

New Post 05-23-2011 08:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sicaudio Click here to Send sicaudio a Private Message Find more posts by sicaudio Add sicaudio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gameguru1360

yeah yesterday I kept going back and forth, tweaking the hf 2 channel amp and switching from full to hpf. Luckily I didn't have the volume above medium, so was testing to see how the comps would sound with more mid range bass without the sub on.

New Post 05-23-2011 10:41 AM
sicaudio

zeus comps right? 80 hz is their sweet spot...

New Post 05-23-2011 10:58 AM
gameguru1360

yep, zeus zxi 6.5c's. I set the crossover at 100hz just to be on the safe side, but I'll try setting them to 80hz when I get home from work today. I'll have to set my brz1200 at around 65hz...have it set around 80hz.

New Post 05-23-2011 11:04 AM
sicaudio

no not 65... you want it to lap the mids... set the mids and subs to the exact same setting or 15hz or so overlapping... if you go with 65 on the sub amp ur losing from 65 to 80/100 because of the gap in freq....id set the sub at 90 personally... ur sub likes high notes not lows...

New Post 05-23-2011 12:12 PM
sicaudio

RE: RE: amp crossover setting

quote:
Originally posted on 05-22-2011 by larrypeters86

You want it set at high pass. Setting it to full it would be getting full range...That would be bad. The actual setting is dictated by how high you want the lp on the sub. I am at 63 hz lp on my mids with a 12 db slope and 63 hz on the sub lp with an 18 db slope. You don't want for example....The sub at 80 and the mids at 150. That wouldn't make sense. You would be cutting out music playing in the middle.80 - 100 is a good starting point...Lower if the mids can take it of course. Right in that range is the kinda sweet spot. What I mean by that is that's where human hearing and our brains get dumb...kinda. Using 63 as my point of crossover makes my sub disapear. It sounds like there is no bass coming from behind except for the back hatch rattling like hell. I can go up to about 80 and I still don't localize the sub. If I go to 100 the bass is coming from behind. <br> It's a kinda game in the end though. the lower you want to cross the more power you need to get loud. I'll stop rambling now....

read what he said very carefully....

New Post 05-23-2011 12:13 PM
gameguru1360

yeah, had to retweak the amps settings...yesterday I set the lpf on my brz1200 too low...things didn't sound too good.

would I ever use the bass eq on the HF zxi 100.2 amp??

New Post 05-23-2011 10:05 PM
sicaudio

not unless ur running midbass... even then i highly doubt it ;)

New Post 05-23-2011 10:24 PM
gameguru1360

ok cool since I left it at "0" setting

New Post 05-24-2011 12:18 AM
sicaudio

if you wanna try it turn it up a tad at a time.. as long as the mids deal with it then ur fine... it will boost the bass to them.

New Post 05-24-2011 12:58 AM
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (2): [1] 2  Next next page

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. soltany, from beirut, MI. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. kaotiksyko, from , CO. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY. becesaudio, from davao city, AL.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting