Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
SonicElectronix.com - 1-877-BUY-SONIC
Up to $30.00 in FREE custom install kits on select car stereos. Largest selection online, great prices, Daily Deals and FREE shipping on most products. We are an authorized dealer for Infinity, JBL, JVC, Kicker, MTX, Vibe, RE Audio and others.
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Amplifiers > Amp for sound quality
Go Back Pages (3): [1] 2 3  Next next page
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
vincent714028

Amp for sound quality

Hi, I've been reading here and it sounds like the sundown sa-12 is the way to go.  My alt puts out 90 amps in my 2011 Mazda 3.  It's still under warranty so I don't want to modify it too much.  I have the bose system so it sounds good it just needs more bass.  So, 90 amps x 14.4 volts = 1296 x 0.40 = 518.4 watts.  I am willing to add a battery if that will help.  I see the alpine mrx-m100 has a damping factor of > 1000 and uses 1000 or 600 watts rms.  That's good for sq right?  Lot's of people recommend the brz1200.1d which has more power if wired to 1 ohm.  But for sound quality I want to stay away from 1 ohm right?  Only 2 or 4 ohm?  But with that amp I am worried about my electrical system.  900w to 2 ohms is a lot more than 518.  Any thoughts?

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 07-27-2011 10:19 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for vincent714028 Click here to Send vincent714028 a Private Message Find more posts by vincent714028 Add vincent714028 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SINTORMAN

with a stock alt you are going to see a lot less than what its rated for. And 90 amps is 2k rpms or more so when you are idling you will see about half the amperage. And you have to take into account you will have voltage drop. You are going to need some electrical upgrades running anything above 600 watts. As for the amp. There is no difference between sq of 1 ohm 2 ohm or 4 ohm on a properly designed amp. A brz1200 will put out clean power.

New Post 07-27-2011 02:04 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for SINTORMAN Click here to Send SINTORMAN a Private Message Find more posts by SINTORMAN Add SINTORMAN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
vincent714028

Damn.  I thought as much.  If I wired the brz1200 for 2 ohms at 900 watts and added a battery do you think I would be ok?  How do I quantify what upgrades would be necessary?

New Post 07-27-2011 04:34 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for vincent714028 Click here to Send vincent714028 a Private Message Find more posts by vincent714028 Add vincent714028 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N2Audio

IMO setting a 600w rms limit on a 90A alt is VERY conservative.
Power requirements for an amp aren't remotely as black and white as it seems.
If you have a decent class D amp that's capable of 600w you can assume efficiency of around 80%. So to produce that 600w the electrical system would have to provide 600/.8 or 750w.
And 750w at 14v would be 53A. But the big HOWEVER...unless you're playing test tones at full volume the amp's AVERAGE power requirement/production will be MUCH less than that -- roughly 1/3. So your real-world current draw would likely be closer to 20A than 53A, and that's still at/near full volume. Assuming you're not going to be blasting it non-stop you're likely looking at 10-15A of current being drawn on average.

Anecdotally, my last set up included 1500w rms worth of amplifier power running on a stock 110A alternator and standard battery. Other than some minor headlight dimming at high volume I had no problems.

As far as amp impedance...
SQ purists will point to two major factors. THD is generally higher for a given amp as it approaches its lowest stable impedance, and Damping Factor decreases as impedance decreases.
However, those that tend to take a more objective approach vs subjective generally agree that while these factors may be true, their actual "audible" contribution to the reduction of sound quality is insignificant at worst, completely undetectable at best.

New Post 07-27-2011 04:51 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for N2Audio Click here to Send N2Audio a Private Message Find more posts by N2Audio Add N2Audio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SINTORMAN

N2 i am assuming you did the big 3. Huge difference. That's what upgrade I was talking about.

New Post 07-27-2011 05:27 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for SINTORMAN Click here to Send SINTORMAN a Private Message Find more posts by SINTORMAN Add SINTORMAN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SINTORMAN

And some of my songs are worse than test tones lol.

New Post 07-27-2011 05:31 PM
larrypeters86

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 07-27-2011 by SINTORMAN
with a stock alt you are going to see a lot less than what its rated for. And 90 amps is 2k rpms or more so when you are idling you will see about half the amperage. And you have to take into account you will have voltage drop. You are going to need some electrical upgrades running anything above 600 watts. As for the amp. There is no difference between sq of 1 ohm 2 ohm or 4 ohm on a properly designed amp. A brz1200 will put out clean power.

there is most certainly a difference in sq from 1, 4 and 8 ohms. The issue is whether the rest of your system allows you to hear it. A dampening factor above 100 is about all you'll notice.

New Post 07-27-2011 07:16 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for larrypeters86 Click here to Send larrypeters86 a Private Message Find more posts by larrypeters86 Add larrypeters86 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
larrypeters86

RE:

quote:
N2 i am assuming you did the big 3. Huge difference. That's what upgrade I was talking about.

Wow.....a little attitude. Good to see ya back N 2.

New Post 07-27-2011 07:21 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for larrypeters86 Click here to Send larrypeters86 a Private Message Find more posts by larrypeters86 Add larrypeters86 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
larrypeters86

Hmmmmm....I am running about 1k with no upgrades at all. Of course I have real amps. Besides hifonics and sq should never be in the same sentance....just my opinion.

New Post 07-27-2011 07:23 PM
vincent714028

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 07-27-2011 by larrypeters86
Hmmmmm....I am running about 1k with no upgrades at all. Of course I have real amps. Besides hifonics and sq should never be in the same sentance....just my opinion.

What do you recommend for sq?  What was your stock system at 1000 watts?

New Post 07-27-2011 07:53 PM
larrypeters86

You mean electrical? Not sure....04 explorer v6 all stock. I think I'm cheating though. My amps have regulated power supplies.

New Post 07-27-2011 07:58 PM
larrypeters86

You need to consider integrating into the bose system if you're keeping it. Depending on the vehichle it can get expensive. Peripheral should make the adapter. Besides.....I think 1000 watts is severe overkill to match a bose system. Get a good 500 watt amp and be done. Something like an Arc class d and an Audiopulse Epic.

New Post 07-27-2011 08:05 PM
recover

RE:

quote:
You need to consider integrating into the bose system if you're keeping it. Depending on the vehichle it can get expensive. Peripheral should make the adapter. Besides.....I think 1000 watts is severe overkill to match a bose system. Get a good 500 watt amp and be done. Something like an Arc class d and an Audiopulse Epic.

http://www.woofersetc.com/p-6859-fd-6001-arc-audio-1-channel-620-watt-amplifier.aspx

Just bought this puppy the other day to run an IDQv3 12. I bet you this amp would be perfect for you.

New Post 07-27-2011 09:24 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for recover Click here to Send recover a Private Message Find more posts by recover Add recover to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SINTORMAN

RE:

quote:

You mean tc sounds?

New Post 07-27-2011 09:27 PM
larrypeters86

RE: RE:

quote:
You mean tc sounds?

Audiopulse/TC ....Same thing.

New Post 07-27-2011 09:39 PM
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (3): [1] 2 3  Next next page

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. kaotiksyko, from , CO. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY. becesaudio, from davao city, AL. ipodzrcool, from , AL.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting