Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
OnlineCarStereo.com
The best and biggest selection of mobile audio/stereo, multimedia/navigation and accessories at the lowest prices! Kenwood, Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, JVC, Sony, Clarion, Jensen, Infinity, Kicker and more...
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Head Units > No AM Reception after Upgrading OEM to Aftermarket Head Unit
Go Back Pages (2): [1] 2  Next next page
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
billqs

No AM Reception after Upgrading OEM to Aftermarket Head Unit

I have a 2009 Toyota Venza and recently upgraded my OEM base non-nav 6 disc head unit with a Kenwood DDX616. Since the changeover, I've noticed I have almost no AM reception. I am in a large metropolitan area with about 20 AM stations. I only pick up one and it is very static-y.

I also added the HD Radio option for Kenwood and it picks up no AM stations either (I tried both the Head Unit antenna plug and the HDRadio Antenna plug.)

I noticed 2 radio plugs that plugged into the back of the OEM head unit. A standard Motorola plug and a mini plug. I think this was for diversity tuning for FM. Only the Motorolla plug was plugged into the antenna in on the head unit. FM reception appears to be fine.

Could the AM antenna be located on the mini plug? Any help would be appreciated!

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 08-03-2011 09:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for billqs Click here to Send billqs a Private Message Find more posts by billqs Add billqs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SentraStyleEMW

RE: No AM Reception after Upgrading OEM to Aftermarket Head Unit

quote:
Originally posted on 08-03-2011 by billqs

I have a 2009 Toyota Venza and recently upgraded my OEM base non-nav 6 disc head unit with a Kenwood DDX616. Since the changeover, I've noticed I have almost no AM reception. I am in a large metropolitan area with about 20 AM stations. I only pick up one and it is very static-y.

I also added the HD Radio option for Kenwood and it picks up no AM stations either (I tried both the Head Unit antenna plug and the HDRadio Antenna plug.)

I noticed 2 radio plugs that plugged into the back of the OEM head unit. A standard Motorola plug and a mini plug. I think this was for diversity tuning for FM. Only the Motorolla plug was plugged into the antenna in on the head unit. FM reception appears to be fine.

Could the AM antenna be located on the mini plug? Any help would be appreciated!

Did you hook up the power antenna wire from the aftermarket radio to the power antenna wire (it will be blue or blue/white) on your wire harness?  Some Toyotas have a powered antenna for AM reception.  My Corolla is like that and will not get AM reception unless that wire is hooked up (not that I care one way or another).  I have not worked on a Venza yet, so I do not know if that is your problem for sure or not...but worth a look.

New Post 08-03-2011 10:26 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for SentraStyleEMW Click here to Send SentraStyleEMW a Private Message Find more posts by SentraStyleEMW Add SentraStyleEMW to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gameguru1360

where did you get the wiring harness?? crutchfield usually has the exact wiring harness for your vehicle. The problem with crutchfield is that they're usually not the cheapest, but if I were upgrading the head unit, I'd get it from there. For the other components, I'd look elsewhere.

New Post 08-04-2011 04:31 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for gameguru1360 Click here to Send gameguru1360 a Private Message Find more posts by gameguru1360 Add gameguru1360 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
billqs

I got the IMC Audio harness. The problem is that I had two different installers put in a total of two amps and then the headunit, etc. Now I'm having trouble getting the head unit installers motivated to go in and find the power wire to the amplified antenna (if it does in fact have one... which I believe it does...) and/or hook up the second antenna jack as the original head unit also apparently had diversity tuning. I can hook up both antenna jacks to the head unit, but I'm not having much luck locating the amplified antenna power wire with the huge mass of wires that has occurred due to the amps installed.

New Post 08-06-2011 02:31 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for billqs Click here to Send billqs a Private Message Find more posts by billqs Add billqs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gameguru1360

I'd go back to either of the installers. They should guarantee their work, otherwise I'd report them to the BBB for ruining your install

New Post 08-09-2011 05:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for gameguru1360 Click here to Send gameguru1360 a Private Message Find more posts by gameguru1360 Add gameguru1360 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sicaudio

lots of places include the wire harness free with a deck...... me, and sonic both do... and I give the Metra brand , but crutchfield gives a no name brand :)

New Post 08-09-2011 05:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sicaudio Click here to Send sicaudio a Private Message Find more posts by sicaudio Add sicaudio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
billqs

UPDATE:  I dug into the wiring and the installers of the HU did not connect the Antenna Power wire.  Once I did that I got AM Reception.  The wiring harness I used was fine, it was the failure of the installers to hook up all the wires on the harness that was to blame.

New Post 08-10-2011 08:39 AM
KJM01

glad you figured it out, now go back to the installers and ask for a discount next time you buy something!

New Post 08-10-2011 10:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for KJM01 Click here to Send KJM01 a Private Message Find more posts by KJM01 Add KJM01 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gameguru1360

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 08-10-2011 by KJM01

glad you figured it out, now go back to the installers and ask for a discount next time you buy something!

or buy something and just "forget" to sign the credit card slip and calmly walk out the door!!

New Post 08-10-2011 06:01 PM
KJM01

RE: RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 08-10-2011 by gameguru1360
or buy something and just "forget" to sign the credit card slip and calmly walk out the door!!

yeah but if you are on camera you can get in trouble for attemting to fraud both the cc company and the store! especially if you bought from there before on cc

New Post 08-11-2011 08:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for KJM01 Click here to Send KJM01 a Private Message Find more posts by KJM01 Add KJM01 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
billqs

I'll just add them to the list of people I won't do business with again.

New Post 08-11-2011 09:29 AM
sicaudio

I would go back and tell them to refund at least 1/2 the charge on the deck install portion....

New Post 08-11-2011 12:24 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sicaudio Click here to Send sicaudio a Private Message Find more posts by sicaudio Add sicaudio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SentraStyleEMW

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 08-11-2011 by sicaudio
I would go back and tell them to refund at least 1/2 the charge on the deck install portion....

And they will likely tell you to pound sand.  He brought it back with an issue, issue was fixed, time to move on.  Can you honestly say you have never made a mistake while installing something?  It happens to even the best installers from time to time.

New Post 08-12-2011 06:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for SentraStyleEMW Click here to Send SentraStyleEMW a Private Message Find more posts by SentraStyleEMW Add SentraStyleEMW to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
billqs

Actually, when I brought it back in with the issue, they told me aftermarket decks don't pick up AM anymore and that if there was a power Antenna switch they always install it even though they don't believe it does any good because of "safety". When I had a free couple of hours, I took the deck out, found out where they had capped the power antenna wire with electrical tape at the headunit. They also capped the harness wire for antenna connector with electrical tape. So, I untaped both capped wires connected them, and poof I had AM. Still, I've considered it bygones. Not a lot of cars use the power antenna since fewer cars have the power masts... the Venza is a fairly unfamiliar model, so I imagine they just did standard operating procedure. One question, though. I'm having trouble finding a good mini adaptor to full size motorola for the 2nd antenna plug which is for diversity tuning. I got one for GM but it ends before it gets to the barbs on the outside of the plug. I have a Y adaptor and used the mini to fullsize plug so I could plug both in. Should I worry about that? The Kenwood does not have diversity tuning and I'm not really getting anything from the 2nd plug with mini adaptor to full when I plug it in directly.

New Post 08-13-2011 11:20 PM
sicaudio

if ya dont need it then no need to mess with it Bill.... and yes sentra I have made alot of mistakes, but i actually correct them when I do... they didn't and then blew him off... piss poor CS imo and worthy of a refund..it is obvious they do not have the slightest clue wtf they are doing if they used tape anyway...

New Post 08-14-2011 12:45 AM
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (2): [1] 2  Next next page

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
kaotiksyko, from , CO. RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY. becesaudio, from davao city, AL. ipodzrcool, from , AL.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting