Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
OnlineCarStereo.com
The best and biggest selection of mobile audio/stereo, multimedia/navigation and accessories at the lowest prices! Kenwood, Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, JVC, Sony, Clarion, Jensen, Infinity, Kicker and more...
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Subwoofers and Speakers > wiring
Go Back Pages (2): [1] 2  Next next page
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
jord7575

wiring

I plan to buy a 12" dvc 4 ohm sub and was wondering if I should wire it for a 4 or 8 ohm load? Or I would just like to know the difference in the two

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 08-03-2011 07:29 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jord7575 Click here to Send jord7575 a Private Message Find more posts by jord7575 Add jord7575 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SINTORMAN

You can't simply put. Lets start off with the basics. A single voice coil sub has only one coil and a dual voice coil sub has two coils. Low ohms are good for monoblock amps. Most monoblocks are optimized for full power at 1 ohm. Higher ohms are for using multi channel amps for a sub. A dual voice coil 2 ohm can be wired in series for a 4 ohm load or in parallel for a 1 ohm load. A 4 ohm dual voice coil sub can be wired in series for a 8 ohm load or in parallel for a 2 ohm load. Single sub setups should be dual 2 ohm with a monoblock or multichannel amp because you can wire it at 1 ohm or 4 ohms which is usually the mininum bridged impedance on multi channel amplifiers. Double sub setups should be dual 4 ohm so that way the final amp impedance can be 1 ohm for a monoblock or 4 ohms for a multi channel amp. Any questions?

New Post 08-03-2011 08:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for SINTORMAN Click here to Send SINTORMAN a Private Message Find more posts by SINTORMAN Add SINTORMAN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jord7575

So iill just tell you this, I'm running the aq1200 amp right now and I am planning on buying a 12" re audio sxx sub. So tell me which way to wire this to get the qaulity out of the sub

New Post 08-03-2011 08:24 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jord7575 Click here to Send jord7575 a Private Message Find more posts by jord7575 Add jord7575 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SINTORMAN

Nice amp! Get a dual 2 ohm sub. Then wire it in parallel for a 1 ohm final load.

New Post 08-03-2011 08:28 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for SINTORMAN Click here to Send SINTORMAN a Private Message Find more posts by SINTORMAN Add SINTORMAN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jord7575

Thank you and ya I love that amp. The setup you said will work good though? And why not a dual 4 ohm sub?

New Post 08-03-2011 11:28 PM
SINTORMAN

because dual 4 ohm can only be 2 ohm or 8 ohm. Your amp puts out its maximum power at 1 ohm.

New Post 08-03-2011 11:35 PM
N2Audio

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 08-03-2011 by jord7575
Thank you and ya I love that amp. The setup you said will work good though? And why not a dual 4 ohm sub?

just to echo sintor's comments.

The XXX is a beast of a sub that can handle 2000w rms or more. Your amp produces 1200w+ at 1 ohm. Which, obviously, if you want to get the most out of your sub that's what you want to run it at.

A dual 2 can be wired for 1 or 4 ohms:

A dual 4 can be wired for 2 or 8:

Since you have an amp capable of 1200 and a sub that wants all that and more it would be counter productive to run the amp at 2 ohms for <900, or 4 ohms for ~500. Even worse at 8 for probably 300 or so.

New Post 08-03-2011 11:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for N2Audio Click here to Send N2Audio a Private Message Find more posts by N2Audio Add N2Audio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SINTORMAN

RE: RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 08-03-2011 by N2Audio
just to echo sintor's comments.

The XXX is a beast of a sub that can handle 2000w rms or more. Your amp produces 1200w+ at 1 ohm. Which, obviously, if you want to get the most out of your sub that's what you want to run it at.

A dual 2 can be wired for 1 or 4 ohms:

A dual 4 can be wired for 2 or 8:

Since you have an amp capable of 1200 and a sub that wants all that and more it would be counter productive to run the amp at 2 ohms for <900, or 4 ohms for ~500. Even worse at 8 for probably 300 or so.

he put sxx lol. I made that mistake too but then I looked carefully. But I still think it should be ran at 1 ohm then gain set at 1000 rms.

New Post 08-04-2011 12:08 AM
larrypeters86

• Electrical Q Value -Qes: 0.32
  • Mechanical Q Value -Qms: 4.4
  • Total Speaker Q Value -Qts: 0.30
  • Free Air Resonance -Fs: 30.6 Hz
  • Equivalent Compliance -Vas: 47.6 liters
  • One-Way, Linear Excursion -Xmax: 22 mm
  • Efficiency -SPL 1W/1m: 88.1 dB SPL
  • Effective Piston Area -Sd: 480 cm^2
  • DC Resistance -Re: 1.9 ohm
  • Nominal Impedance -Znom: Dual 2/4 ohm
  • Thermal Power Handling -Pe: 1000 W
  • Force Factor -Bl: 21

Uh....Yeah....The SXXX would do well off that amp at 1 ohm.

New Post 08-04-2011 08:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for larrypeters86 Click here to Send larrypeters86 a Private Message Find more posts by larrypeters86 Add larrypeters86 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N2Audio

RE: RE: RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 08-04-2011 by SINTORMAN
he put sxx lol. I made that mistake too but then I looked carefully. But I still think it should be ran at 1 ohm then gain set at 1000 rms.

Oh, oops.
I guess that makes 2 ohms a viable option, but I have a thing for milking my sub amp for as much as it can give, so, yeah, still 1 ohm.

New Post 08-04-2011 10:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for N2Audio Click here to Send N2Audio a Private Message Find more posts by N2Audio Add N2Audio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jord7575

ok thanks for all your help guys. Now as far as a box goes, what should I do there?

New Post 08-04-2011 10:57 AM
jord7575

and also that amp that I have has two pos and two neg spots for the speakers so would that make it a 2 channel?

New Post 08-04-2011 03:34 PM
SINTORMAN

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 08-04-2011 by jord7575

and also that amp that I have has two pos and two neg spots for the speakers so would that make it a 2 channel?

No its a monoblock.

New Post 08-04-2011 04:19 PM
jord7575

so to wire it at 1 ohm I will just put wire to both positives then to one of the pos on the amp and put wire to both negs and then to one of the negs on the amp?  And what should I do for a box

New Post 08-04-2011 04:38 PM
SINTORMAN

Do you think you could build a box yourself?

New Post 08-04-2011 04:47 PM
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (2): [1] 2  Next next page

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. reagan1, from Rowlett, TX. soltany, from beirut, MI. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. kaotiksyko, from , CO. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting