Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
SonicElectronix.com - 1-877-BUY-SONIC
Up to $30.00 in FREE custom install kits on select car stereos. Largest selection online, great prices, Daily Deals and FREE shipping on most products. We are an authorized dealer for Infinity, JBL, JVC, Kicker, MTX, Vibe, RE Audio and others.
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Subwoofers and Speakers > Which 10" should I get?
Go Back Pages (2): [1] 2  Next next page
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
michaelalan

Which 10" should I get?

Should I replace the foam surround on my JL 10w3v2 or use that as an excuse to buy new subwoofers. I’ve never happy with the JL’s.

I’m looking to spend about $150 each. I’ve got a Memphis pdr500.1 in a 1 ohm conf. It’s pushing about 125 watts per speaker per voice coil.

I’ve searched the board, but only found recommendations for much higher wattage speakers. But from that I’m thinking of getting either the

RE Audio SEX10D4
10" SEX Series Car Subwoofer • 600 Watts RMS

Or

Image Dynamics ID10 D4 V.3
10" Dual 4 ohm ID V.3 Series Subwoofer • 400W MAX • 200W RMS

I will probably never change out my bass amp unless it blows.

Going for sq, which of these would you recommend or is there even something better in the price range.

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 08-05-2011 01:03 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for michaelalan Click here to Send michaelalan a Private Message Find more posts by michaelalan Add michaelalan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
larrypeters86

I like the ID sub. there are some others in that range that would work well. I like the TC Epic.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=293-656

I would just run 1 sub off that amp. I prefer to get a higher quality sub rather than 2 cheaper ones.

The Sundown SA would be good as well.

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/store/products/Sundown-Audio-SA%252d10-Subwoofer.html

Skar

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/store/products/SKAR-Audio-VVX%252d10%22-Sub-Woofer.html

I would reccomend them in that order. All very good drivers though.

New Post 08-05-2011 01:13 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for larrypeters86 Click here to Send larrypeters86 a Private Message Find more posts by larrypeters86 Add larrypeters86 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
michaelalan

Those are great recommendations.

Also, I never thought about powering only one sub. I figured twice the surface area would be better. But with the more watts on one speaker return the same bass and volume? If so that will free up space in my Xterra.

New Post 08-05-2011 01:28 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for michaelalan Click here to Send michaelalan a Private Message Find more posts by michaelalan Add michaelalan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
larrypeters86

Keep in mind that a driver having more xmax is going to move more air than one with lower xmax. There are exceptions to that. If you would get a tc epic and put it in the right ported box it will shock you on 500 watts. It's going to get loud and sound damm good. I have a single ssa icon 10 in a ported box in my explorer on a rated 500 watt amp. It gets really loud. Just build the box correctly and you'll be very surprised.

New Post 08-05-2011 01:54 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for larrypeters86 Click here to Send larrypeters86 a Private Message Find more posts by larrypeters86 Add larrypeters86 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
michaelalan

My JL's were in the power wedge (ported) box, but they didn't hit hard enough. I built a downfiring sealed box and I've been much happier with them. I maybe wrong, but I think ported boxes are better for rap than rock or trance, which I listen too.

New Post 08-05-2011 02:08 PM
michaelalan

double post

New Post 08-05-2011 02:08 PM
larrypeters86

A well designed ported box will sound good with any music....fwiw.....I can't stand rap. I'm 44 yrs old and it kinda makes me want to vomit.

New Post 08-05-2011 02:13 PM
SINTORMAN

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 08-05-2011 by larrypeters86
A well designed ported box will sound good with any music....fwiw.....I can't stand rap. I'm 44 yrs old and it kinda makes me want to vomit.

lolwut... what about dubstep. What do you listen to LP?

New Post 08-05-2011 05:09 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for SINTORMAN Click here to Send SINTORMAN a Private Message Find more posts by SINTORMAN Add SINTORMAN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
larrypeters86

RE: RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 08-05-2011 by SINTORMAN
lolwut... what about dubstep. What do you listen to LP?

Dubstep......can you translate that for an old man?

New Post 08-05-2011 06:07 PM
SINTORMAN

Hey some older people I know like techno/dubstep... few but sill some.

New Post 08-05-2011 06:12 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for SINTORMAN Click here to Send SINTORMAN a Private Message Find more posts by SINTORMAN Add SINTORMAN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
larrypeters86

RE:

quote:
Hey some older people I know like techno/dubstep... few but sill some.

Honestly....I have never heard of that. I listen to a rather wide variety of music. Just a few weeks ago I took my son to see KISS. That made my 12th time I have seen them since 1978. By far, nobody can even come close, the best live show you could possibly see. We had 5th row tickets. My son wasn't really a Kiss fan before we went....he is now. Other than that....Anything old school rock  Pink Floyd, Genesis  ....A lot of the new music these days is pretty good. My kids keep me up to date on that. My 2 sons are the kinda hardcore types and my daughter keeps me interested in country music. The zach brown band is great.

Something I have been turned onto in the last couple yrs is Porcupine Tree. I guess they're considered prog rock. This is what I would most likely get a fine listening to.

New Post 08-05-2011 06:57 PM
michaelalan

No thread jacking! We are talking about subwoofers!

New Post 08-05-2011 08:11 PM
larrypeters86

Sorry bout that.....Back on topic. Yes I love 10's. Pics of my sweet little 10. SSA ICON 2 SSA ICON 3 Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Shot at 2011-07-11

New Post 08-05-2011 08:28 PM
SINTORMAN

RE: RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 08-05-2011 by larrypeters86

Honestly....I have never heard of that. I listen to a rather wide variety of music. Just a few weeks ago I took my son to see KISS. That made my 12th time I have seen them since 1978. By far, nobody can even come close, the best live show you could possibly see. We had 5th row tickets. My son wasn't really a Kiss fan before we went....he is now. Other than that....Anything old school rock  Pink Floyd, Genesis  ....A lot of the new music these days is pretty good. My kids keep me up to date on that. My 2 sons are the kinda hardcore types and my daughter keeps me interested in country music. The zach brown band is great.

Something I have been turned onto in the last couple yrs is Porcupine Tree. I guess they're considered prog rock. This is what I would most likely get a fine listening to.

Not much bass but I do like it. And I do agree rap is utterly pointless but I listen for the bass. If Coldplay had bass then my life would be complete.

New Post 08-05-2011 08:29 PM
larrypeters86

RE: RE: RE:

quote:
Not much bass but I do like it. And I do agree rap is utterly pointless but I listen for the bass. If Coldplay had bass then my life would be complete.

That's funny that you would say that. Download a good copy of that song and play it in your ride.

New Post 08-05-2011 08:31 PM
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (2): [1] 2  Next next page

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. kaotiksyko, from , CO. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY. becesaudio, from davao city, AL. ipodzrcool, from , AL.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting