Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
SonicElectronix.com - 1-877-BUY-SONIC
Up to $30.00 in FREE custom install kits on select car stereos. Largest selection online, great prices, Daily Deals and FREE shipping on most products. We are an authorized dealer for Infinity, JBL, JVC, Kicker, MTX, Vibe, RE Audio and others.
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Amplifiers > Upgrade suggestions
Go Back Pages (1): [1]
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
GuinnessStout4Ever

Upgrade suggestions

Ok...finally wrapped up wife's car audio project.

I currently have the following:

1. Precision Power PPI DCX 600.4
2. Focal K2 Power 165K2P in front. Coax in rear.
3. Alpine CDA-9835
4. Infinity Kappa Perfect 10 DVQ 10" 1600 Watts
5. Rockford Fosgate Punch 400.a4

The PPI is driving both front and rear with only 75 watts x 4. I was thinking of buying the MB Quart Q 4.150 to replace PPI to feed the Focals more watts under the assumption that more watts will really bring out the full potential.  Will I really here a SQ difference between the MB Quart & PPI?  Maybe I should just bridge the PPI into the front speakers at 300 watts each side and have the Alpine head unit drive the rear speakers for filler?  The Rockford is driving the subwoofer.  It has been so long since I had this equipment installed that I am really not sure how they did that since I think you can't bridge the Rockford into 1 channel for a sub.

What direction do you think I should go?

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_3997_Precision-Power-PPI-DCX-600.4.html2.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_1690_Focal-165-K2P.html

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/library/manuals/2000-PunchMultiCh-MAN.pdf

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 08-15-2011 05:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GuinnessStout4Ever Click here to Send GuinnessStout4Ever a Private Message Find more posts by GuinnessStout4Ever Add GuinnessStout4Ever to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
larrypeters86

Ditch the passives and run the ppi active to the focals. You're not taking advantage of what that hu can do.

New Post 08-15-2011 06:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for larrypeters86 Click here to Send larrypeters86 a Private Message Find more posts by larrypeters86 Add larrypeters86 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GuinnessStout4Ever

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 08-15-2011 by larrypeters86
Ditch the passives and run the ppi active to the focals. You're not taking advantage of what that hu can do.

Larry,

Thanks for that excellent idea.  I'm going to drop the MB Quart 4.150 and pick up either the Alpine MRP-M500 or MB Quart Q1.1500D ($160 - $180) mono block for my subwoofer.  Both are close to the same price   A very inexpensive upgrade in sound.   The installer I spoke with agreed 100% with your comments.  He said you will definitely hear a difference especially after proper tuning.  He looked at my current system in detail and commented  "good lord, who did your install".

New Post 08-17-2011 09:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for GuinnessStout4Ever Click here to Send GuinnessStout4Ever a Private Message Find more posts by GuinnessStout4Ever Add GuinnessStout4Ever to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sicaudio

the new PPI leaves a bad taste in mouth...due to the new ownership .... go look at the reviews on the Q series amps at pasmags website.. Gerry springgay the senior editor raved about them and they are full active capable...regardless of what amp you get run active....

New Post 08-17-2011 09:43 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sicaudio Click here to Send sicaudio a Private Message Find more posts by sicaudio Add sicaudio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GuinnessStout4Ever

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 08-17-2011 by sicaudio
the new PPI leaves a bad taste in mouth...due to the new ownership .... go look at the reviews on the Q series amps at pasmags website.. Gerry springgay the senior editor raved about them and they are full active capable...regardless of what amp you get run active....

Sic,

I purchased the PPI DCX 600.4 I think close to 5-6 years ago.  When was PPI bought under new ownership?  I may have one of their old school amps.

New Post 08-17-2011 10:33 AM
larrypeters86

What is the model number of the older one? And you don't need an active capable amp for the focals.....u have all the processing in your hu.

New Post 08-17-2011 11:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for larrypeters86 Click here to Send larrypeters86 a Private Message Find more posts by larrypeters86 Add larrypeters86 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sicaudio

it has been quite awhile ago that dei bought them and now they were supposedly resold yet again...if my times are right that amp is pretty close to the buyout period at 6 yrs at 5 I am positive it is a dei made not a ppi made but LP would know better on that ....

And LP is correct tho, I missed that u have a 9835 deck ... it should be Active 2-way plus sub iirc. very similar to my wifes 9813 , just not a Japanese model so you can use w/e amp ya want as long as it has full pass on it

New Post 08-17-2011 05:09 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sicaudio Click here to Send sicaudio a Private Message Find more posts by sicaudio Add sicaudio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
larrypeters86

it has 3 way mode which adds the bandpass mode. this is one of those hidden gem alpines that can run active and can be found dirt cheap.

New Post 08-17-2011 06:17 PM
GuinnessStout4Ever

Larry & Sic,

I called DEI and talked with tech support.  The tech guy stated that I definitely have the model that they designed.  He also confirmed that DEI did not spend as much time on PPI like they did with Orion.  Not sure if that was "code" for it sucks. He recommended that I not bridge the DCX for 300 watts into each front speaker stating that most installers don't bridge anymore.  Sounds more like a personal opinion than something I shouldn't do because it may hurt the system.  The guy deals mostly with installers.  He talked technically way over my head.

Sic, you mentioned you were a little warm and fuzzy about this PPI amp.  The tech guy did mention that most amp technology has not changed in the past 10 years.  I'm looking for an excuse to get the Q4.150. But, why spend extra money if you don't have to. Unless you guys are really against the old skool PPI, I may try bridging, run active and pick up one of the inexpensive mono sub amps I mentioned above and see how it sounds.

Thanks

New Post 08-18-2011 09:05 AM
larrypeters86

there's nothing wrong with bridging at all. I think the tech guy was trying to tell you it sucks though. get a good 4 channel and run it active to the focals. I hope you have the manual for the alpine. in the manual its called 3 way mode. you'll have the front 2 cannels running the tweets and the back 2 running the mids.you have to be very careful doing this. read the manual a few times and please start with the gains all the way down.

New Post 08-18-2011 09:50 AM
sicaudio

Larry is dead on... it sucks I have yet to find a "good" dei made PPI amplifier yet...you already have it so try it and see ...nothing to lose and if it works to YOUR satisfaction, that is all that matters.

while the tech is fairly right on amp tech not changing he is also wrong as well... while most AB amps have not changed much , there are still differences in the implementation of the circuitry. That alone can make a night and day difference in the way an amplifier performs. you can use all the best parts and assembly but still make a crappy amp if the parts are not implemented the right way to get the best from them...you can also use lower grade parts and correctly implement them and make a better amplifier..

New Post 08-18-2011 10:40 AM
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (1): [1]

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. kaotiksyko, from , CO. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY. becesaudio, from davao city, AL. ipodzrcool, from , AL.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting