Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
OnlineCarStereo.com
The best and biggest selection of mobile audio/stereo, multimedia/navigation and accessories at the lowest prices! Kenwood, Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, JVC, Sony, Clarion, Jensen, Infinity, Kicker and more...
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Amplifiers > 2 CVR 12's 4-ohms + crunch p1-2000.1 tuning
Go Back Pages (1): [1]
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Jdub82

2 CVR 12's compvr 4-ohms + crunch p1-2000.1 tuning

Alright, like the post says I got 2 kickers 12 cvr's compvr 4-ohms with a crunch p1-2000.1, I recently purchased. Its a good system(I think) powered by Clarion vx400, nothing fancy or too pricey just something I can have a little fun with. My question is I tried tuning my amp with my subs and I did like the instructions said, turned my amp all the way down and turned volume up to about 75% (listening volume), put on some lil' wayne and started to tune it. I was able to turn all knobs("bass boost", "sub sonic" and "low pass") all the way up without any distortion. I ended up backing the knobs down a little instead of leaving them all the way up. Any suggestions? I was a mechanic a while back, so I know a little something about cars, but when it comes to stereo systems, I am not too knowledgeable. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 08-19-2011 07:36 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Jdub82 Click here to Send Jdub82 a Private Message Find more posts by Jdub82 Add Jdub82 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SINTORMAN

Sub sonic should be 5 hz below your box tuning (all the way down "lowest number" if sealed). Low pass should be 60 to 100 hz Personal taste dictates. Bass Boost should be never past 75% but unless you are experienced then off or 0db. Gain should be set with a digital multi meter not by ear unless you are experienced. Use this chart http://imageshack.us/f/185/setttingampchartua8.jpg/ Take your ohm load and desired wattage and then find your desired voltage. Next step, find a 60hz tone at -6db to -3db (i use -5db) and burn it to a disc. Put it in your headunit and turn off any loudness or bass boost feature. sub level should be set to max. turn volume to 75% give or take. Then put the test leads on the amplifier outputs and turn the gain knob till you have the desired voltage. I do it with my subs attached because I have found that without the subs attached the voltage is lower when you hook the subs back up. Please make any concerns clear and ask any questions. If you are willing to spend 120 bucks you gain set a lot easier.

New Post 08-19-2011 07:53 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for SINTORMAN Click here to Send SINTORMAN a Private Message Find more posts by SINTORMAN Add SINTORMAN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jdub82

2 CVR 12's 4-ohms + crunch p1-2000.1 tuning

OK, maybe I didn't explain myself too good on my original post... Is this amp good enough to push these subs? I've heard mixed reviews about cvr's, mostly ok ones. The amp however, is not all that. It does tend to overheat easily, but as long as its running the subs hit great. Am just trying to get the most out of my system( who isn't?). I am not all that knowledgeable about sound systems, like I said in my original post, but was trying to see if anyone had some simple advice for me on this tuning situation I have. I guess I could pay to get it tuned at a stereo shop, but I was trying to be pro-active and do it myself.

New Post 08-19-2011 08:06 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Jdub82 Click here to Send Jdub82 a Private Message Find more posts by Jdub82 Add Jdub82 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
larrypeters86

RE: 2 CVR 12's compvr 4-ohms + crunch p1-2000.1 tuning

quote:
Originally posted on 08-19-2011 by Jdub82
Alright, like the post says I got 2 kickers 12 cvr's compvr 4-ohms with a crunch p1-2000.1, I recently purchased. Its a good system(I think) powered by Clarion vx400, nothing fancy or too pricey just something I can have a little fun with. My question is I tried tuning my amp with my subs and I did like the instructions said, turned my amp all the way down and turned volume up to about 75% (listening volume), put on some lil' wayne and started to tune it. I was able to turn all knobs("bass boost", "sub sonic" and "low pass") all the way up without any distortion. I ended up backing the knobs down a little instead of leaving them all the way up. Any suggestions? I was a mechanic a while back, so I know a little something about cars, but when it comes to stereo systems, I am not too knowledgeable. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I think Sin might have been going a little over your head....let me simplify.....You really need to listen too....i am shocked as all hell you didn't fry something yet. You should never...never ...never ever turn all those settings all the way up. Let me explain what each one does and how to set them.

I'll start at low pass. The lp filter tells the amp to cut off the signal it's sending the sub at the desired frequency. For example....You have your front stage crossed at 80 hz then you would in theory set the lp on your amp at 80 hz as well. You're setting the amp to cut off at 80 and your front stage will pick up from 80 and go up. 

Subsonic....Like Sin said....Set that just below the tuning of a ported box or in some cases it's not needed. Setting that all the way up....Not sure of the range on your amp.....that cuts everything from that point and down out of the signal. If I'm guessing here.....If you go to the max and it goes up to 30 you won't get any bass below 30. If you set it to 40....Nothing below 40 goes through.If the subs are in a sealed box you can sometimes omit the subsonic or sometimes for kicks I'll set it at the fs of the driver. 

Bass boost....this is the most dangerous thing on an amp right next to the gain. Let me skip to gains and I'll be back to this......The easiest way to set them is.....Turn the gain all the way down.....Turn the volume about 60 or so % on the volume scale.....All hu's are different. You never want to set gains to use the entire volume scale on a hu. Anyway....Put in a bass track and slowly turn up the gain until you hear the slightest bit of stress. That's your kind of benchmark. Back it off just a tad.  Now with the gain set to kind of optimum look at the bass boost. 

Bass boost is an extension of an equalizer.  It gives you a boost point in the 30 hz area or so and you can boost the signal at that point. Everyone has a preferrence but bass boost is IMO Ghetto. It is used alost entirely to make the bass as loud and distorted at the sacrifice of sound quality. If you must use it you have to decrease the gain to compensate for adding the bass boost. That is how subs are fried....It's called a clipped signal.
    Gonna stop typing now.....

New Post 08-19-2011 09:17 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for larrypeters86 Click here to Send larrypeters86 a Private Message Find more posts by larrypeters86 Add larrypeters86 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sicaudio

while not a great amp it is quite decent for the money... it will do just fine on them subs ... roughly 1100 rms... if ur amp is getting HOT their is a serious issue somewhere.. they dont get to terribly hot even tho they are AB class amps.. you need at least 4 gauge wire as a good start... LP and Sin already have ya on track for the rest.

New Post 08-20-2011 08:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sicaudio Click here to Send sicaudio a Private Message Find more posts by sicaudio Add sicaudio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (1): [1]

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. reagan1, from Rowlett, TX. soltany, from beirut, MI. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. kaotiksyko, from , CO. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting