Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
OnlineCarStereo.com
The best and biggest selection of mobile audio/stereo, multimedia/navigation and accessories at the lowest prices! Kenwood, Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, JVC, Sony, Clarion, Jensen, Infinity, Kicker and more...
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Subwoofers and Speakers > Subwoofer advice
Go Back Pages (1): [1]
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
mcarter2011

Subwoofer advice

Hi, This is my first time posting in this forum, and after exhausting my own car audio knowledge.

I recently blew out an 8" Solo Baric L3/5, with a 225 watt Hifonics amp -- melted the voice coil. It was installed into a custom ported compact enclosure behind the passenger seat and it always sounded pretty good, especially because it was in the cabin.

I decided to upgrade to a Soundstream Stealth 500.1 4 channel amp that fits nicely under my passenger seat and stays out of the way. It is currently delivering 250 watts rms bridged to two single voice coil (8 ohm) Fosgate P1's (150 rms each) wired in parallel. The box is sealed, with 0.75 cu ft per sub. The bass response is tight and accurate and the volume level is okay, but I find myself wanting more impact, especially with hip hop and electronic music.

My question is would I be better off with a single 10 in a larger ported enclosure? The Kicker Solo Baric L3 10" looks good and the SQ ported dimensions look reasonable for my trunk. Ideally my box design would use the least amount of trunk space in my '02 honda accord coupe. What would give me the best bang for the buck, and with the existing Soundstream amp? I'm a reasonable box builder and really enjoy giving myself an excuse to start a new project.

Thanks for your help.

Mike

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 08-23-2011 02:36 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mcarter2011 Click here to Send mcarter2011 a Private Message Find more posts by mcarter2011 Add mcarter2011 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mcarter2011

Sorry, the amp is the Soundstream STL4.500. I'm getting old and not as good with model names anymore ;) Another option is to build a ported enclosure for both P1's, but I fear that would require too much trunk space. No more room for luggage etc.

New Post 08-23-2011 02:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mcarter2011 Click here to Send mcarter2011 a Private Message Find more posts by mcarter2011 Add mcarter2011 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sicaudio

if ya have 400 or more watts try a 10 or 12 tc epic it will trash 2 crappy rf or kicker 8's all day long and they do damn good in small sealed or ported boxes..

New Post 08-23-2011 02:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sicaudio Click here to Send sicaudio a Private Message Find more posts by sicaudio Add sicaudio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mcarter2011

What do you think of the Kicker L3 10"? I'd like to supply more wattage, but I'm sort of committed to my existing amp at this point (250 watts bridged). Would the TC 10 be okay with 250?

New Post 08-23-2011 03:14 PM
mcarter2011

No other takers on this one? Any input would be appreciated. The P1's are actually sounding pretty good now. I had the sub level set to +3 db and moving it to +7 dB really seemed to help -- that and removing the 6x9's in the rear deck to port some of the bass into the cabin. Now the rear view mirror keeps wandering when it's turned up. They really aren't bad subs, but I keep wondering if a ported design would be better/louder.

New Post 08-23-2011 09:34 PM
gameguru1360

going ported is definitely louder than sealed, but sealed is for sound quality.

those RF and kickers are just basic line subs. Go with the ones that sic suggested. In the long run, you'll thank him since he really knows what he's talking about! he's a car audio gear dealer

New Post 08-24-2011 11:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for gameguru1360 Click here to Send gameguru1360 a Private Message Find more posts by gameguru1360 Add gameguru1360 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sicaudio

even 250 rms at 4 ohms bridged I would still say a single 10" TC EPIC ported would sound better and be just as loud if not louder...

New Post 08-24-2011 01:01 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sicaudio Click here to Send sicaudio a Private Message Find more posts by sicaudio Add sicaudio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (1): [1]

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. kaotiksyko, from , CO. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY. becesaudio, from davao city, AL. ipodzrcool, from , AL.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting