Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
SonicElectronix.com - 1-877-BUY-SONIC
Up to $30.00 in FREE custom install kits on select car stereos. Largest selection online, great prices, Daily Deals and FREE shipping on most products. We are an authorized dealer for Infinity, JBL, JVC, Kicker, MTX, Vibe, RE Audio and others.
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Amplifiers > ohms
Go Back Pages (1): [1]
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
scareylincoln

ohms

Will my factory Ford Alpine 8ohm amp safely power my Kicker 4ohm sub? Thx!

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 08-28-2011 02:23 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for scareylincoln Click here to Send scareylincoln a Private Message Find more posts by scareylincoln Add scareylincoln to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SINTORMAN

Ohms is really irrelevant because a headunit cannot power a subwoofer. Headunits either output a full range signal or a high passed signal. You would need a headunit with a sub out or a external processor slash crossover to take your headunits signal to a low voltage output. Bottom line you need an amplifier to power your subwoofer.

New Post 08-28-2011 02:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for SINTORMAN Click here to Send SINTORMAN a Private Message Find more posts by SINTORMAN Add SINTORMAN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
scareylincoln

Actually this factory system has a separate Alpine amp from the headunit dedicated to the factory sub which is blown. The amp is rated @ 8ohms but i can only find two shallow mount kicker subs rated @ 2 and 4ohms. Which would work if either? Thanks!

New Post 08-28-2011 03:54 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for scareylincoln Click here to Send scareylincoln a Private Message Find more posts by scareylincoln Add scareylincoln to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
one_crazy_dude

Look for duel voice coil subs that are 4 ohms each. They can be wired to 8 ohms and then you don't haVe to worrie.

what size is the sub and what amount are you willing to spend and I'll look around for you

New Post 08-28-2011 04:35 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for one_crazy_dude Click here to Send one_crazy_dude a Private Message Find more posts by one_crazy_dude Add one_crazy_dude to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
scareylincoln

That's where the issue lies, the factory enclosure is for a 6.5" sub. JL Audio makes an 8ohm sub thats too tall. Kicker makes a sub just the right size but in 2 and 4 ohms only. I want to keep the factory 8ohm amp and enclosure and just change the blown sub with a better quality one. Thx.

New Post 08-28-2011 05:34 PM
SINTORMAN

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 08-28-2011 by scareylincoln
Actually this factory system has a separate Alpine amp from the headunit dedicated to the factory sub which is blown. The amp is rated @ 8ohms but i can only find two shallow mount kicker subs rated @ 2 and 4ohms. Which would work if either? Thanks!

OH. I didn't see the amp part. Sorry about that.

New Post 08-28-2011 05:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for SINTORMAN Click here to Send SINTORMAN a Private Message Find more posts by SINTORMAN Add SINTORMAN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
one_crazy_dude

Have a look at this place. Partsexpress.com. They have a lot of drivers and good costumer support. Look for 8 ohm drivers, maybe even give them a call. They might be able to help you out better

New Post 08-28-2011 06:32 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for one_crazy_dude Click here to Send one_crazy_dude a Private Message Find more posts by one_crazy_dude Add one_crazy_dude to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sicaudio

for that size a dayton or tangband may fill the bill :)

New Post 08-28-2011 06:35 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sicaudio Click here to Send sicaudio a Private Message Find more posts by sicaudio Add sicaudio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
scareylincoln

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 08-28-2011 by one_crazy_dude
Have a look at this place. Partsexpress.com. They have a lot of drivers and good costumer support. Look for 8 ohm drivers, maybe even give them a call. They might be able to help you out better

Thanks, I will!

New Post 08-28-2011 06:47 PM
scareylincoln

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 08-28-2011 by sicaudio
for that size a dayton or tangband may fill the bill :)

I've never heard of either brand, are they as reliable as some of the name brand competition out there?

New Post 08-28-2011 06:49 PM
one_crazy_dude

RE: RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 08-28-2011 by scareylincoln
I've never heard of either brand, are they as reliable as some of the name brand competition out there?

I did have 2 tangband 8's ant they did kick but. I can't speak Dayton. Never used them but they have really good reviews if you search.

New Post 08-28-2011 07:41 PM
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (1): [1]

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
kaotiksyko, from , CO. RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY. becesaudio, from davao city, AL. ipodzrcool, from , AL.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting