Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
OnlineCarStereo.com
The best and biggest selection of mobile audio/stereo, multimedia/navigation and accessories at the lowest prices! Kenwood, Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, JVC, Sony, Clarion, Jensen, Infinity, Kicker and more...
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Amplifiers > 4 Channel upgrade...
Go Back Pages (2): [1] 2  Next next page
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
zoso02

4 Channel upgrade...

Hey...posting here after a long time.

I need help with...should I upgrade my 4 channel amp? If so then which amp? Should I upgrade my fronts...if so which one?

Here is my set up;

Front Components - Polk Momo MMC 6500 (125 W RMS)
4 Channel Amp - Blaupunkt GTA 470 (Older model with the blue and silver cover. I think it's 70X4 @ 4 Ohms
HU - Alpine 9855r
Back - Polk Momo Co axils
Sub - MTX 8500 12" in a ported enclosure
Mono - Alpine (forgot the model)

I think the weak link in my system is the Blaupunkt 4 channel and upgrading that could improve the SQ. Though I think I might need to change the components as well, if I upgrade the amp.

I am looking for a warm, smooth and musical sound as my current speakers can be a bit harsh even after the crossover equalizition settings. I mostly listen to Classic rock and some months it's just all different genres. My budget is around $800 for an amp and components.

What do you guys think I should do?

Thanks...

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 09-01-2011 01:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for zoso02 Click here to Send zoso02 a Private Message Find more posts by zoso02 Add zoso02 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
larrypeters86

Let me see....That's a pretty good hu and I have heard and installed those comps before and i like them as well. Replacing the amp isn't going to give you the tuning flexibilty that you are looking for. The Blaupunkt is far from a great amp but power is power at a certain point. This is my suggestion before you buy a new amp. Do you have the manual for the Alpine? I hope so....If not you should be able to get it online. In the manual it has a section that explains how to use the hu in 2 way and 3 way mode. It's referring to the crossovers. You're using it in 2 way mode right now. In 3 way mode you would ditch the passive crossover that came with the Polks and the hu will fully control them. You would then amp the tweets with 2 channels and the mids with the other 2.This is leaving your rears without an amp. You can easily run them off hu power but you'll never hear them anyway.

So...Where you're at right now is trying to use the eq to basically level match them to the mids. Kinda frustrating isn't it? Running in 3 way mode [ Active as it's usually called] will allow you to use the front channel amp gain to adjust the tweeter level and the rear gain to adjust the mid level. When you do this you can then use the eq for what it was meant to do....Only to take out dips and peaks.

If you decide to go this route please take your time and read the manual several times before you try it. start with the gains all the way down and raise them very carefully. this is an easy way to blow drivers but you will be shocked how good it can sound when done correctly. If you have any questions at all just ask.

New Post 09-01-2011 08:36 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for larrypeters86 Click here to Send larrypeters86 a Private Message Find more posts by larrypeters86 Add larrypeters86 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sicaudio

was hoping LP would see this :) GJ man.

New Post 09-01-2011 10:43 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sicaudio Click here to Send sicaudio a Private Message Find more posts by sicaudio Add sicaudio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gameguru1360

yeah the amp seems sub par, but htose components should still be good. Like LP posted earlier, you just want to be careful setting the gains if you get better amp because they will blow your drivers if you turn it up too much. You also want to be careful with the bass eq/boost settings if you choose to adjust them. I always leave it at the "0" setting. I try to blend in the bass from the mono amp's filters.

New Post 09-01-2011 11:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for gameguru1360 Click here to Send gameguru1360 a Private Message Find more posts by gameguru1360 Add gameguru1360 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zoso02

Thank you. Had never thought of that:). I will definitely try that out before jumping into making changes to the entire set up.

Btw have you guys had any experience with the CDT Audio HD-62US components? I am getting them for a good price. Any other 6.5" components you suggest that may sound better in the same price range of around $500

New Post 09-01-2011 12:17 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for zoso02 Click here to Send zoso02 a Private Message Find more posts by zoso02 Add zoso02 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sicaudio

HAT... blows CDT away... Hybrid Audio Technologies...

New Post 09-01-2011 12:20 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sicaudio Click here to Send sicaudio a Private Message Find more posts by sicaudio Add sicaudio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zoso02

Hey...another thing. Once I go active with the Polk's...can you pls suggest what kind of EQ and crossover settings I should go with? Should I use the Graphic or the Parametric on the Alpine 9855? How to work on the crossover.

Sorry for loading you with questions...I'm just really confused and all the installers I take this thing to seem to know even lesser than me :)

New Post 09-01-2011 12:29 PM
zoso02

Hey...another thing. Once I go active with the Polk's...can you pls suggest what kind of EQ and crossover settings I should go with? Should I use the Graphic or the Parametric on the Alpine 9855? How to work on the crossover.

Sorry for loading you with questions...I'm just really confused and all the installers I take this thing to seem to know even lesser than me :)

New Post 09-01-2011 12:30 PM
gameguru1360

yeah when it comes to properly tweaking the settings, those innstallers know diddly squat! The times I had stuff installed or fixed by those installers, they'd naturally just crank up the gain settings or tell me that you have to crank it. I think they'd say that on purpose so that you damage your components and then have to bring it in so that you buy their products for replacement...cheap bastards!

New Post 09-01-2011 01:11 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for gameguru1360 Click here to Send gameguru1360 a Private Message Find more posts by gameguru1360 Add gameguru1360 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sicaudio

with ur deck you want the deck to control all of it. ;) i have a 9855 but no amps just good aftermarket coaxs etc and it is a 3 way deck and works awesome...makes these HAT lagatia speakers sound amazing..

New Post 09-01-2011 02:21 PM
zoso02

Agree with you about the installers...

Thanks for the tip on HAT. The Legatia might be a bit expensive for me so was looking at Clarius C61; any thoughts on that? I also have the option on getting the image dynamics CXS2 or the Audio System Xion 165 for almost half the price of the HAT. Do you have any experience with these?

The only prob with the HAT is that I would need to ship it from the US to India...paying duty...shipping etc makes it expensive...but I am still considering.

New Post 09-01-2011 03:11 PM
larrypeters86

I would recommend getting what you already have running active. get the feel for setting it up and tuning. then once you get the hang of it I would upgrade the amp first.

New Post 09-01-2011 04:05 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for larrypeters86 Click here to Send larrypeters86 a Private Message Find more posts by larrypeters86 Add larrypeters86 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zoso02

Thanks LP. I will try that out tomorrow itself...already read a bit in the manual about changing from 2 to 3 way.

Once I go active with the Polk's...can you pls suggest what kind of EQ and crossover settings I should go with? Should I use the Graphic or the Parametric on the Alpine 9855? How to work on the crossover?

New Post 09-01-2011 04:15 PM
sicaudio

for the money the HAT are amazing but if after you try Active with the Polks to get a feel of it, the ID would be my next choice...

New Post 09-01-2011 04:36 PM
larrypeters86

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 09-01-2011 by zoso02

Thanks LP. I will try that out tomorrow itself...already read a bit in the manual about changing from 2 to 3 way.

Once I go active with the Polk's...can you pls suggest what kind of EQ and crossover settings I should go with? Should I use the Graphic or the Parametric on the Alpine 9855? How to work on the crossover?

cross the tweets at about 3k with the steepest slope you have. The highest in that hu is probobly 24 db. cross the mid at 3k 24 db slope and about 80 hz 12 or 18 db slope. whichever sounds better to you. start with the gains all the way down. the tweet won't take much gain at all....be careful. get that setup and let me know how it sounds before any eq. level matching the mid and tweet can take a while.

New Post 09-01-2011 05:06 PM
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (2): [1] 2  Next next page

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. kaotiksyko, from , CO. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY. becesaudio, from davao city, AL. ipodzrcool, from , AL.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting