Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
OnlineCarStereo.com
The best and biggest selection of mobile audio/stereo, multimedia/navigation and accessories at the lowest prices! Kenwood, Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, JVC, Sony, Clarion, Jensen, Infinity, Kicker and more...
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Head Units > My take on Alpine 4Volt...
Go Back Pages (1): [1]
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
newfosgatesucks

My take on Alpine 4Volt...

As most already know, I am notoriously old-school in my audio fun-time.  I just won't break down and buy anything new, until it DOES what it SAYS at a price that rivals used gear - and nothing against class d, it's just not for me.

Long story short, I replaced an antique Alpine 7903 with a newer 4v ALpine, I didn't want to risk my nr mint 7904 or 7909 copper sleeve getting yanked... So after swapping to 4v, here's my take.

I started by leaving all amplifier gains the same (all 2v max input) and both Nakamichi ec-200 crossovers set at the same level as before.   I popped the New "4V" Alpine in, and gave a quick listen, and guess what?  Nothing changed.   I spent two hours sitting, driving, eating, tweaking in the car, and songs I KNOW through and through had basically no difference - aside from actually not hitting as hard. 

Now this comes as a surprise, thinking that my old Hifonics Thor/Zeus are 2v max input, and the Nakamichi pa-series amps on my hi's are 2v as well.  Seriously, no distortion, no added DB's(which would have indicated I needed to tone down a tad) and to my surprise, the feeling in my head and chest are lessened to barely being felt.

With the 7903 or 7904 in, (Which I hooked back up just as a reference, the 7904) The chest-thumping and head shaking, window-shaking thump was there.  I didn't check with the 7909, It always was eery bit as strong as the 7903/4...\

So what gives?  Is head unit output voltage inflated like amplifier output power is these days?   Do you literally have to ask if pre-outs are RMS or Peak, on a freakin low-volt out!!!

Really, I am NOT surprised - I have set up a few systems with 4v and higher and thought maybe there was some fudging.   A few years back I set up Kenwood hi-volt h/u and never changed the gain on the amp, and chalked it up to the x-over being diff.  

Oh, and one added pain - a touch of ignotion whine from around 2500rpm to around 4000.   Low volume, not increased with volume - which disappeared with the older unit this aft.   Even ran a new chassis to frame wire to no avail.

For the curious, here is the setup -

Hi's - MB Quart 6-1/2 QM series and separate tweets, biamped by a nakamichi pa-350 4ch.

Midbass - 6-1/2 mb quarts with a hifonics thor in stereo 4 ohm.

Subs - 2 Rockfor Fosgate Punch Pro 18's (SPP-188's) with a Hifonics Zeus Bridged mono at 4 ohms. 

Crossovers- (2) Nakamichi ec-200 2-ways

Now shouldn't this be the ULTIMATE test of whether something puts out 4 volts in preamp signal!!!  Not a single component is rated above 2 volts!!!

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 10-16-2011 11:13 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for newfosgatesucks Click here to Send newfosgatesucks a Private Message Find more posts by newfosgatesucks Add newfosgatesucks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N2Audio

why not just get a 0db tone - say 1khz - and measure it at different volume levels?
Using a few different freq's would be even better. Say, 50, 200, 1000, 5000?
That would be a lot more objective.

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 11-10-2011 03:05 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for N2Audio Click here to Send N2Audio a Private Message Find more posts by N2Audio Add N2Audio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (1): [1]

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. kaotiksyko, from , CO. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY. becesaudio, from davao city, AL. ipodzrcool, from , AL.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting