Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
SonicElectronix.com - 1-877-BUY-SONIC
Up to $30.00 in FREE custom install kits on select car stereos. Largest selection online, great prices, Daily Deals and FREE shipping on most products. We are an authorized dealer for Infinity, JBL, JVC, Kicker, MTX, Vibe, RE Audio and others.
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Head Units > Head Units not what they used to be....
Go Back Pages (1): [1]
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Rslayton

Head Units not what they used to be....

I don't know what happened in the last few years with head units, but to me it seems like Head Units just aren't what they used to be anymore. I'm not saying their quality has gone down necessarily, but there doesn't seem to be the passion and pride put into them that there once was. I remember when Sony brought out the CDX-m730/750/670 etc., they were fantastic looking with the black out panel lcd display and the motorized fold down keypad, you can tell the designer took a lot of pride into creating those headunits, they sounded great, and remain my favorite even to this day. Now it seems like the manufacturers have gone to playskool and fish price for design elements and just add as many buttons, light, knobs, and switches as they possibly can, some of these 2-300 dollar head units look really awful, it seems like we've taken a step back in the aesthetics department and the lack of passion seems to show.... to me anyway. Another thing I've noticed is tuning features. In the 200-300 dollar range, you used to be able to get a 5-band or more customizable EQ, Digital time correction, internal amplifier off, 6-position digital crossovers with adjustable slope, High Volt preamp outputs 5V or more, and sound imaging customization. Nowadays, it seems like all you get in head units that cost up to $300 is 2 or 3 band EQ's and high and low pass filters.... and that's about it. It's like audio tuning has been traded off for ipod control and pandora radio capabilites. Finding a nice looking head unit with decent features in the 200 to 300 dollar range used to be quite easy for the most part. Now, for me anyway, it seems nearly impossible to find that incredibly customizable sleek looking head unit that just looks clean sitting in my dash. This is my opinion on things nowadays, what about yours?

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 11-02-2011 09:43 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Rslayton Click here to Send Rslayton a Private Message Find more posts by Rslayton Add Rslayton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
newfosgatesucks

Not to mention the Crappy buttons and cheap knobs and if you push the face with your finger it gives!!!   New head units suck!!!

New Post 11-06-2011 10:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for newfosgatesucks Click here to Send newfosgatesucks a Private Message Find more posts by newfosgatesucks Add newfosgatesucks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tacehtcot

I have to agree. I'd like to replace my 2005 era Sony, price then was $180. However I have not found any head unit at any price I can afford that can have 7 custom EQ settings on a 7 band EQ like my old Sony.

New Post 11-21-2011 10:45 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for tacehtcot Click here to Send tacehtcot a Private Message Find more posts by tacehtcot Add tacehtcot to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
riva16

Ive been banging on my Kenwood KDC-X889 since 2005. One of the greatest HUs ever made, and I can say based on other HUs Ive messed with, you are exactly right. They are not like what they used to be. I think the minute .mp3, ipods, and blue tooths hit the car audio arena is when quality went down drastically.

New Post 11-29-2011 12:33 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for riva16 Click here to Send riva16 a Private Message Find more posts by riva16 Add riva16 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
silentdub

I've been using Kenwood and Alpine for years, the Alpine was disappointing and I went back to Kenwood, but for sure Sony I would never even think of purchasing one, their quality is crap and has been for as far back as I can remember. Looking at this Nakamichi though, I think this thing could be cool

New Post 03-08-2012 03:45 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for silentdub Click here to Send silentdub a Private Message Find more posts by silentdub Add silentdub to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
1996blackmax

I agree, I'm still running a very old Alpine. Very easy to use.

New Post 04-30-2012 12:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for 1996blackmax Click here to Send 1996blackmax a Private Message Find more posts by 1996blackmax Add 1996blackmax to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (1): [1]

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
kaotiksyko, from , CO. RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY. becesaudio, from davao city, AL. ipodzrcool, from , AL.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting