Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
SonicElectronix.com - 1-877-BUY-SONIC
Up to $30.00 in FREE custom install kits on select car stereos. Largest selection online, great prices, Daily Deals and FREE shipping on most products. We are an authorized dealer for Infinity, JBL, JVC, Kicker, MTX, Vibe, RE Audio and others.
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Amplifiers > AQ3500 with stock alt?
Go Back Pages (1): [1]
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
shepherd92683

AQ3500 with stock alt?

I didn't think this was a good idea, but the guy who did my build and is a car audio guru said that 2 HC2400's would be ok with stock alt since currently on my AQ2200 with one HC2400 I don't drop below 13. He said if I was in the 11's then I should replace it. Is this really accurate? Obviously I will be losing power with the voltage drop...FYI daily driver only...

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 11-07-2011 10:33 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for shepherd92683 Click here to Send shepherd92683 a Private Message Find more posts by shepherd92683 Add shepherd92683 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N2Audio

I really can't argue with what he said. He's only considering the short term.

Even if your alt looks good in the short term - at high volume the alt is working at something approaching 100% of its output constantly. They are not meant to work like that. At that rate it's going to get extremely hot, and its life expectancy will be reduced drastically.

If you don't blast it very often you might get a few months, maybe even several months out of it, but it's a LOT more work than it was ever intended to do.

New Post 11-10-2011 03:27 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for N2Audio Click here to Send N2Audio a Private Message Find more posts by N2Audio Add N2Audio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shepherd92683

Bad thing is, I run it on full tilt about 20 mins usually to n from work. Doesn't sound like it would last me long :(

New Post 11-10-2011 08:43 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for shepherd92683 Click here to Send shepherd92683 a Private Message Find more posts by shepherd92683 Add shepherd92683 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shepherd92683

I had thought about upgrading to a DC 280 pro but 400 is kida high. What would be a minimum amperage I would want to use? I'm also considering other brands and maybe MLA module.

New Post 11-11-2011 12:06 PM
N2Audio

280A? I would think that would work well for a long time.

Not that it matters though, if your sub set up is even reasonably well implemented -- 40 min/day at full volume or close to it and you'll be deaf before your alt dies.

New Post 11-15-2011 11:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for N2Audio Click here to Send N2Audio a Private Message Find more posts by N2Audio Add N2Audio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shepherd92683

Hopefully I won't go deaf anytime real soon lol. Given the situation, which alt would you suggest? I'll definitely go no larger than the aq3500 at 1 ohm.

New Post 11-15-2011 10:39 PM
N2Audio

I'm probably not the best opinion on apps like this. I run 1500w rms and I think that's pretty "extreme". That's 1000 on a sub and ~500 on my comps.
Stock 130A alt does reasonably well.

But I think I can reason my way to a decent answer.
For 3500 (no speaker amp?) I would be thinking 200A at the absolute min. Preferably 220-250.

I'd approximate 75-80% efficiency at full power (AQ says 85% at 4 ohms) which would be well over 4kw from the charging system on peaks. 4kw at 13v is about 340A so well over 100A continuous at high volume.

I'd have at least a 2nd battery as well to help soften those 300A+ bursts.

New Post 11-17-2011 12:14 PM
SINTORMAN

a good rule of thumb is watts / 10 so 350 amp hours and then the biggest alt you can afford. The bigger the less it needs to work and therefore last longer. You can get by with less but your amp will be happy with you if you give it almost no voltage drop.

New Post 11-20-2011 01:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for SINTORMAN Click here to Send SINTORMAN a Private Message Find more posts by SINTORMAN Add SINTORMAN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mc

if i was you i would add a second batt. and see what happens if you are still seein big voltage drops don't buy a bigger alt just add a sencond one i garrantee that 2 alts and 2 batts will run the 3500 very well

New Post 11-20-2011 09:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mc Click here to Send mc a Private Message Find more posts by mc Add mc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shepherd92683

Agreed. I need to replace my stock battery and add another 2400. I don't know it there is enough room to add an alt though. I do some research to find out.

New Post 11-20-2011 09:41 AM
shepherd92683

I'm also having a hard time choosing a replacement battery for under the hood. I want good ah and a quality battery, I've considered the D3400 or maybe a Kinetik. Sic has also suggested to me doing a Deka. Too many options lol.

New Post 11-20-2011 09:46 AM
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (1): [1]

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
kaotiksyko, from , CO. RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY. becesaudio, from davao city, AL. ipodzrcool, from , AL.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting