Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
SonicElectronix.com - 1-877-BUY-SONIC
Up to $30.00 in FREE custom install kits on select car stereos. Largest selection online, great prices, Daily Deals and FREE shipping on most products. We are an authorized dealer for Infinity, JBL, JVC, Kicker, MTX, Vibe, RE Audio and others.
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Subwoofers and Speakers > Do I have a blown subwoofer?
Go Back Pages (1): [1]
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ancr2001

Do I have a blown subwoofer?

The system in my ride consists of an Alpine CDA-117 HU, 1 Kenwood amp KAC-7205, and 2 Kenwood eXcelon KFC-XW1205dB Subwoofers in a sealed box. The subs are not bridged and are each on their own channel. The subs rate at 600W @ 4Ohms and the amp rates at 170W X 2 @ 4Ohms. I was showing off my system and opened my trunk and was embarrassed to find that only one of the subs was hitting. When I got home I tested the amp channels with the sub that was working and it hit on either channel. I then tested the sub that wasnt working on the other channel just to be sure something weird wasnt going on but still there was no sound. I then removed the bad sub from the box to test it, thinking maybe the wires from the connectors inside were loose on the sub but that wasnt the case. I used the wires running from the amp to the box and connected them directly to the sub and tested it on both channels but still there was no sound. Does that mean the sub is blown? I never really crank it up too loud because I have a regular battery and no upgraded power equipment , i.e. the Big-3, HO alternator..., because the lights seem to dim a little at high volumes. This subwoofer is very rare and I want to know if I can repair it. Im a real techie do-it-yourselfer and want to attempt a fix but first I need to know whats wrong. There are no physical sign of damage so I dont know where to start. I know there are other better, newer subs out there but the Kenwood tornadoes have always been my favorite. People always ask me how they hit harder than their more expensive subs with such little power. I had originally owned the blue Kenwood tornadoes (non-eXcelon) and was told the same thing when using a 600W max power Kenwood amp bridged. Needless to say I want these subs and no other and would appreciate any advice anyone can give me about repairing this sub or diagnosing why it died to begin with.

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 12-10-2011 02:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ancr2001 Click here to Send ancr2001 a Private Message Find more posts by ancr2001 Add ancr2001 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wenwen2me

This is the first time I heard it, thank you for sharing.

This is the first time I heard it, thank you for sharing.

New Post 12-13-2011 04:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for wenwen2me Click here to Send wenwen2me a Private Message Find more posts by wenwen2me Add wenwen2me to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
1sr

Have you checked the tinsel leads on the cone or spider? Does it smell kind of burnt? How did you check the channels of the amp? You might want to try a different amp to fully rule out the possibility of a bad amp.

New Post 12-13-2011 11:16 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for 1sr Click here to Send 1sr a Private Message Find more posts by 1sr Add 1sr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ancr2001

I checked the sub and the leads are fine and there is no burnt smell. As I stated above I used my other identical sub on both channels and it worked fine where as the bad sub wouldn't work on either channel. The amp is new and I haven't pushed it or misused it so the problem definitely lies with the sub.

New Post 12-14-2011 02:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ancr2001 Click here to Send ancr2001 a Private Message Find more posts by ancr2001 Add ancr2001 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (1): [1]

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. kaotiksyko, from , CO. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY. becesaudio, from davao city, AL. ipodzrcool, from , AL.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting