Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
OnlineCarStereo.com
The best and biggest selection of mobile audio/stereo, multimedia/navigation and accessories at the lowest prices! Kenwood, Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, JVC, Sony, Clarion, Jensen, Infinity, Kicker and more...
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Amplifiers > Noise from amp....
Go Back Pages (1): [1]
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
brian0987

Noise from amp....

OK, frankly, I'm terrified, so I'm looking for some help/advice from the experts here... About a week ago, I noticed a little bit of static noise coming from one door in my car. It was only for a second while the signal was silent, and it went away once the music started. It only happened every few days at first. Now I hear it almost every time I start my car, before the music starts. It's definitely coming from the amp. I have switched inputs around and it comes from the same channel - channel one. Then I switched the outputs, and it came from the new speakers connected to channel one. My main concern here is, how much potential is there for damage to my speakers? And does this mean my amp's on it's last leg? It's an MB Quart Q4.150 pushing CDT components, so this isn't cheap stuff that's easily replaced.... Any help/advice is greatly appreciated!!

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 01-04-2012 06:06 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for brian0987 Click here to Send brian0987 a Private Message Find more posts by brian0987 Add brian0987 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ianarian

You probably had the amp mounted to a sub enclosure or something huh?
Ya I know, Jonny Bananas had his that way, and his is fine...
Did you set the xo and gain using a visual verification of the speakers mechanical reaction to a 150w channel?
No
Is this channel the problem on the speaker furthest from the amplifier?
Yes
Did the results of these 3 things provoke the speaker into a reactive manner that retarded the channel of the amp?
I haven't the foggiest idea what I am talking about.

New Post 01-05-2012 08:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ianarian Click here to Send Ianarian a Private Message Find more posts by Ianarian Add Ianarian to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
larrypeters86

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 01-05-2012 by Ianarian
You probably had the amp mounted to a sub enclosure or something huh?
Ya I know, Jonny Bananas had his that way, and his is fine...
Did you set the xo and gain using a visual verification of the speakers mechanical reaction to a 150w channel?
No
Is this channel the problem on the speaker furthest from the amplifier?
Yes
Did the results of these 3 things provoke the speaker into a reactive manner that retarded the channel of the amp?
I haven't the foggiest idea what I am talking about.

LMFAO

New Post 01-05-2012 10:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for larrypeters86 Click here to Send larrypeters86 a Private Message Find more posts by larrypeters86 Add larrypeters86 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brian0987

OK, Thanks. Any way I can get a straight answer from somebody who isn't as arrogant as this guy is? Just looking for advice and help here...

New Post 01-05-2012 04:45 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for brian0987 Click here to Send brian0987 a Private Message Find more posts by brian0987 Add brian0987 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
larrypeters86

It could be a few different things. Check the amp ground. When you swapped the rca's I hope you didn'tr hot swap them. meaning swapping them with the head unit powered. Are any of the rca's close to the power wire?

New Post 01-05-2012 08:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for larrypeters86 Click here to Send larrypeters86 a Private Message Find more posts by larrypeters86 Add larrypeters86 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brian0987

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 01-05-2012 by larrypeters86

It could be a few different things. Check the amp ground. When you swapped the rca's I hope you didn'tr hot swap them. meaning swapping them with the head unit powered. Are any of the rca's close to the power wire?

The ground seems to be as solid as ever. I had everything powered off when I swapped the rca's and the speaker outputs. The rca and power cables are on opposite sides of the car. The rca's run past the power side of this amp, but about two to three inches away and perpendicular to the power terminals. The strangest thing to me is that I've had this system up and running fine for 10 months before this noise started. I can post pictures of anything if that helps. Thank you for your input!

New Post 01-05-2012 10:02 PM
larrypeters86

It shouldn't hurt the speakers. Do you by any chance have access to another amp? It sounds like you tried what i would have. And Lan is a good guy...Strange sense of humor though.  

New Post 01-05-2012 10:07 PM
brian0987

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 01-05-2012 by larrypeters86

It shouldn't hurt the speakers. Do you by any chance have access to another amp? It sounds like you tried what i would have. And Lan is a good guy...Strange sense of humor though.  

I sort of have access to another amp. By "amp" I mean a 10 year old Power Acoustik 4 channel that has been sitting in the garage for 5 years... Would there be any way to tell by looking at the board inside the amp in question? And just in case, any idea if it would be worth it to get it repaired or spend a few hundred bucks on a new amp if it is permanently damaged?

New Post 01-05-2012 10:33 PM
larrypeters86

RE: RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 01-05-2012 by brian0987
I sort of have access to another amp. By "amp" I mean a 10 year old Power Acoustik 4 channel that has been sitting in the garage for 5 years... Would there be any way to tell by looking at the board inside the amp in question? And just in case, any idea if it would be worth it to get it repaired or spend a few hundred bucks on a new amp if it is permanently damaged?

I would try the Power Acoustic and see what happens. If the noise goes away you know it's the amp. If it stays you narrow down the problem. If it's the amp....It might be worth getting fixed. You can't always tell by looking at the board if there's something wrong. Unless the thing goes up in smoke or you have a dead channel. Swap the amp and let me know what happens.

New Post 01-05-2012 11:16 PM
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (1): [1]

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. kaotiksyko, from , CO. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY. becesaudio, from davao city, AL. ipodzrcool, from , AL.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting