Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
SonicElectronix.com - 1-877-BUY-SONIC
Up to $30.00 in FREE custom install kits on select car stereos. Largest selection online, great prices, Daily Deals and FREE shipping on most products. We are an authorized dealer for Infinity, JBL, JVC, Kicker, MTX, Vibe, RE Audio and others.
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > > Is this amp enough + Sub out Question
Go Back Pages (1): [1]
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ultnrg

Is this amp enough + Sub out Question

Hi Guys I posted this on another forum but figure this is a better place to put it :) I recently bought a new sub and amp combo off the net. The sub is a Sony 12" 1000W boxed sub (that's all the info I can find on it) and the amp is an XM-SD12X. I've read everywhere that sony are pretty poor in car audio equipment, but I really couldn't afford anything else and I heard one of these (friend has one) and it wasn't that bad. I bought the combo as I figured the person has been running this combo for a while, which of course I assume means they should be good for each other (as the amp model number was not listed). Anyway after finding out the amp model number and doing some research on the net about matched sets and stuff, it looks like this amp should only be powering speakers and not a sub! Would I be correct in assuming this? I found specifications and the manual on the Sony website. Link: www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/XM-SD12X/specifications I don't intend on running the sub at 100% or anywhere near that if it makes a difference. I've only got it to just add a bit of bass to my music. I plan on running it in "bridged mode" (i think? Where you hook the +'ve to the amp +'ve on one channel and the -'ve to the amp -'ve on the other channel?) so I can use the whole wattage on just the sub. Also, just another quick question....my head unit has both Sub out (single RCA) as well as multiple RCA outs (red and white). The cable kit I have is a dual RCA to dual RCA. Would it be worth getting a Single RCA to Dual RCA (or an adapter for my current RCA cable) to be able to hook it into "sub out", or would this make no difference? Thanks in advance!!!!!

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 01-16-2012 07:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ultnrg Click here to Send ultnrg a Private Message Find more posts by ultnrg Add ultnrg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N2Audio

It will work. That's a very low power amp though. The sub is probably around 300w rms and that amp is only going to get it ~120.

The cable situation isn't a big deal. If you don't have a mono cable just use one channel of your standard 2 channel cable. However, I would suggest picking up a 1f/2m y cable to connect the mono cable to the amp's stereo inputs.

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 01-26-2012 10:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for N2Audio Click here to Send N2Audio a Private Message Find more posts by N2Audio Add N2Audio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (1): [1]

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. soltany, from beirut, MI. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. kaotiksyko, from , CO. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY. becesaudio, from davao city, AL.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting