Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
SonicElectronix.com - 1-877-BUY-SONIC
Up to $30.00 in FREE custom install kits on select car stereos. Largest selection online, great prices, Daily Deals and FREE shipping on most products. We are an authorized dealer for Infinity, JBL, JVC, Kicker, MTX, Vibe, RE Audio and others.
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > > Kicker Comps
Go Back Pages (1): [1]
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Loudnoise12

Kicker Comps

I have two 10" kicker comps (4ohms) in my truck box. I am running a crunch powerone P1-1000.2 1/2 channel amp and was wondering how i could wire the speakers for the best sound? Would the way i wire it make a difference in sound? I have them wired + and - from the speaker to the amp same for the other speaker. How much power are they actually getting? If you need more info ask and I'll do my best to answer. Thanks.

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 01-24-2012 03:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Loudnoise12 Click here to Send Loudnoise12 a Private Message Find more posts by Loudnoise12 Add Loudnoise12 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tunerguy1000

RE: Kicker Comps

quote:
Originally posted on 01-24-2012 by Loudnoise12
I have two 10" kicker comps (4ohms) in my truck box. I am running a crunch powerone P1-1000.2 1/2 channel amp and was wondering how i could wire the speakers for the best sound? Would the way i wire it make a difference in sound? I have them wired + and - from the speaker to the amp same for the other speaker. How much power are they actually getting? If you need more info ask and I'll do my best to answer. Thanks.

Kicker comps are rated at 150 watts RMS if I remember right. That 2-channel amp puts out about 125 watts x 2 Channels at 4 ohms. This means each of your subs are getting 125 watts RMS each channel. I've never owend a Crucnh amplifier before so idk if they are underated or overated. I do hear good things about them though. The subs appear to be getting underpowered but only slightly. If they bump enough for you in your truck box then by all means keep slamming. IMO though, I'd upgrade your subs to a new set or even a single subwoofer to get more out of that amp.

New Post 01-24-2012 11:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tunerguy1000 Click here to Send tunerguy1000 a Private Message Find more posts by tunerguy1000 Add tunerguy1000 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Loudnoise12

So you dont think that slight underpower would make a difference? Somone told me I could change the fuses to give it more power but I don't see how that would give it more rms? What subs would fit pretty close to the same depth as the kickers?

New Post 01-24-2012 03:03 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Loudnoise12 Click here to Send Loudnoise12 a Private Message Find more posts by Loudnoise12 Add Loudnoise12 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tunerguy1000

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 01-24-2012 by Loudnoise12
So you dont think that slight underpower would make a difference? Somone told me I could change the fuses to give it more power but I don't see how that would give it more rms? What subs would fit pretty close to the same depth as the kickers?

The 25 watts rms difference isn't even noticeable so your fine. Changing out your fuses would change the power output. It has to do with the flow of power and such but you may want to ask one of the senior members on here about specifics on that topic. Which generation kicker comps do you have? That way I can figure out the mounting depth of that subwoofer and find others like it.

New Post 01-25-2012 11:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tunerguy1000 Click here to Send tunerguy1000 a Private Message Find more posts by tunerguy1000 Add tunerguy1000 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N2Audio

I think I saw your question on YA, as well.

Changing (increasing) the fuse size has no effect on the power output of the amp, all that would do is serve to decrease the amp's protection factor. Those fuses don't limit anything until they blow, and they won't blow unless there's a good reason for it. Changing fuse size in ANY circuit is a HUGE no-no and you shouldn't get any more electrical advice from where ever you got that.

Converting power into sound isn't a linear situation.
It takes a 100% increase in power to make a significant increase in sound. Even then, it's only 3dB. 1dB is approximately the difference we can clearly detect. 2dB is easily noticable. 3dB is obvious, but still not a drastic difference. 10dB is considered twice as loud.

The point is, you have very little to gain going from ~125w to ~150w. It's possible, if not likely there would be no audible improvement.

It's probably time to consider a clean slate if you're looking for a serious upgrade.
maybe pair of CVR's and a ~1000w mono?

New Post 01-25-2012 11:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for N2Audio Click here to Send N2Audio a Private Message Find more posts by N2Audio Add N2Audio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tunerguy1000

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 01-25-2012 by N2Audio
I think I saw your question on YA, as well.

Changing (increasing) the fuse size has no effect on the power output of the amp, all that would do is serve to decrease the amp's protection factor. Those fuses don't limit anything until they blow, and they won't blow unless there's a good reason for it. Changing fuse size in ANY circuit is a HUGE no-no and you shouldn't get any more electrical advice from where ever you got that.

Converting power into sound isn't a linear situation.
It takes a 100% increase in power to make a significant increase in sound. Even then, it's only 3dB. 1dB is approximately the difference we can clearly detect. 2dB is easily noticable. 3dB is obvious, but still not a drastic difference. 10dB is considered twice as loud.

The point is, you have very little to gain going from ~125w to ~150w. It's possible, if not likely there would be no audible improvement.

It's probably time to consider a clean slate if you're looking for a serious upgrade.
maybe pair of CVR's and a ~1000w mono?

I started out with a pair of 12" CVR's. Good subs for the price lol

New Post 01-25-2012 12:01 PM
Loudnoise12

yeah i thought that was not a good idea, fuses are for protection. http://www.kicker.com/Comp these are the ones i have. I believe that the CVRs have to large of a mounting depth.

New Post 01-25-2012 12:31 PM
tunerguy1000

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 01-25-2012 by Loudnoise12
yeah i thought that was not a good idea, fuses are for protection. http://www.kicker.com/Comp these are the ones i have. I believe that the CVRs have to large of a mounting depth.

That's why I come on here, so i can learn how to do things lol The kicker CVT has the same power specs as the CVR but are shallow mount designed.

http://www.kicker.com/comp_vt

New Post 01-25-2012 12:35 PM
N2Audio

RE: RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 01-25-2012 by tunerguy1000

That's why I come on here, so i can learn how to do things lol The kicker CVT has the same power specs as the CVR but are shallow mount designed.

http://www.kicker.com/comp_vt

The cvr's are only 3/4" deeper than the comps - 7-7/16" to 8-3/16", the vt's are only 4-3/8"

New Post 01-25-2012 01:46 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for N2Audio Click here to Send N2Audio a Private Message Find more posts by N2Audio Add N2Audio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Loudnoise12

Yeah that's why I hit the forum, because it's has people with experience! And well the CVT shallow mounts are great but won't I get less low bass with those? And I'll remeasure the depth on my box but I'm not sure the CVR's....its 49" long by 6" tall. http://m1258.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/loudnoise12/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_5027.jpg.html?o=0&newest=1

New Post 01-25-2012 02:52 PM
tunerguy1000

RE:

quote:
Yeah that's why I hit the forum, because it's has people with experience! And well the CVT shallow mounts are great but won't I get less low bass with those? And I'll remeasure the depth on my box but I'm not sure the CVR's....its 49" long by 6" tall. http://m1258.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/loudnoise12/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_5027.jpg.html?o=0&newest=1

I'm guessing your truck box is sealed correct?

New Post 01-25-2012 03:29 PM
Loudnoise12

Yes it is sealed.

New Post 01-25-2012 03:35 PM
tunerguy1000

RE:

quote:
Yes it is sealed.

The CVT's would hit pretty well in a truck cab I believe. I don't think you would be sacrificing any low frequencies. Do you like more of a sound quality system or loud bass system?

New Post 01-26-2012 11:51 AM
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (1): [1]

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. soltany, from beirut, MI. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. kaotiksyko, from , CO. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY. becesaudio, from davao city, AL.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting