Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
SonicElectronix.com - 1-877-BUY-SONIC
Up to $30.00 in FREE custom install kits on select car stereos. Largest selection online, great prices, Daily Deals and FREE shipping on most products. We are an authorized dealer for Infinity, JBL, JVC, Kicker, MTX, Vibe, RE Audio and others.
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > > Multiple subs in one system
Go Back Pages (1): [1]
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
04nata

Multiple subs in one system

Back in the day (80's) we used to always mix sizes of subs, I had 2-15's downfired and 2-12's front fired in a truck, my friend had 2-15's and 4-10's all in a wall behind the front seats. Thast being said, I have been building and designing a system in my kids car (to my specs) that has 2-15's (JL Audio) in a ported box, and planned on having (box is made and already in the car) 4-10's (Rockford Fosgate) in a sealed box, all speakers are in thier own box, sealed from each other, no box-sharing or port-sharing. and all subs will be running off the same amp (JL JX1000.1D)
I posted this on 12volt and was told that I will get cancelation from the 15's to the 10's and it will sound horrible :(
I want to get some more opinions, so my questions are
1. is this going to sound like crap? as I figured it would just give me more air movement from the increases 40" of cone area.

Please advise, since I have not bought the 10's yet, I could go back and just do 4-15's in sealed boxes.
And while you at it, please give your opinion on Rockford Fosgate P2D15-2 subs.

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 02-03-2012 07:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for 04nata Click here to Send 04nata a Private Message Find more posts by 04nata Add 04nata to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ianarian

RE: Multiple subs in one system

quote:
Originally posted on 02-03-2012 by 04nata

Back in the day (80's) we used to always mix sizes of subs, I had 2-15's downfired and 2-12's front fired in a truck, my friend had 2-15's and 4-10's all in a wall behind the front seats. Thast being said, I have been building and designing a system in my kids car (to my specs) that has 2-15's (JL Audio) in a ported box, and planned on having (box is made and already in the car) 4-10's (Rockford Fosgate) in a sealed box, all speakers are in thier own box, sealed from each other, no box-sharing or port-sharing. and all subs will be running off the same amp (JL JX1000.1D)
I posted this on 12volt and was told that I will get cancelation from the 15's to the 10's and it will sound horrible :(
I want to get some more opinions, so my questions are
1. is this going to sound like crap? as I figured it would just give me more air movement from the increases 40" of cone area.

Please advise, since I have not bought the 10's yet, I could go back and just do 4-15's in sealed boxes.
And while you at it, please give your opinion on Rockford Fosgate P2D15-2 subs.

12v won't steer you wrong. Listen to them, they are the best.

New Post 02-06-2012 01:24 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ianarian Click here to Send Ianarian a Private Message Find more posts by Ianarian Add Ianarian to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
04nata

RE: RE: Multiple subs in one system

quote:
Originally posted on 02-06-2012 by Ianarian
12v won't steer you wrong. Listen to them, they are the best.

I never said they would, but like surgery if my experience is contrary to what I am told by one person, then I want second and maybe third opinions before I move forward.

So do you all have the same opinion? that the 15's would cancel the 10's even if they all have seperate boxes, the subs are facing the same way and are running off the same amp?

Is it an unwritten rule that if you mix sub sized or box types that it will reduce instead of increase sound levels? I want to make sure I cover all my bases before re-doing my design.

New Post 02-06-2012 11:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for 04nata Click here to Send 04nata a Private Message Find more posts by 04nata Add 04nata to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N2Audio

it is kind of an unwritten rule.

I think the hobby as a whole as seen competitive set ups achieve more with less.

One really good pair of speakers, plenty of power, carefully installed is going to get the best sq results.
A pair of nice subs - optimal enclosure & optimal amt of power, is where it's at -- or even a single sub if you want to keep it simple.

It stands to reason that mixing sub sizes, especially in the same frequency range is going to be difficult to bring together musically. You're going to have 2 or 3 different frequency responses, you'll have output holes in some areas and boosts in others. It's just a lot more headache than it's worth.

Plus, as time goes on and subs are built with more and more output capability it seems pointless to me to go to the hassle of building a refrigerator sized enclosure when there are MANY single subs out there capable of insane amounts of SPL in a 2 or 3 cf box.

New Post 02-07-2012 03:54 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for N2Audio Click here to Send N2Audio a Private Message Find more posts by N2Audio Add N2Audio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
04nata

I'm pretty old school, remember the terminator hearse? I made new boxes this weekend, will be going with 4- 15's RF P2D15-4.

New Post 02-07-2012 09:38 PM
04nata

all done, went with 4-15's in sealed boxes, hitting 139db, go check out the gallery

New Post 02-16-2012 05:27 PM
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (1): [1]

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. soltany, from beirut, MI. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. kaotiksyko, from , CO. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY. becesaudio, from davao city, AL.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting