Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
SonicElectronix.com - 1-877-BUY-SONIC
Up to $30.00 in FREE custom install kits on select car stereos. Largest selection online, great prices, Daily Deals and FREE shipping on most products. We are an authorized dealer for Infinity, JBL, JVC, Kicker, MTX, Vibe, RE Audio and others.
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Amplifiers > trouble shooting a chevrolete Amp problem
Go Back Pages (1): [1]
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
jrm7997

trouble shooting a chevrolete Amp problem

Hello everyone hope you can help out.

Two days ago I started hearing a buzzing sound from the rear speakers. Turning off the stereo, changing the balance or fad, even with the ignition off there was still a buzz. Getting into the truck yesterday morning the buzzing was there as I opened the door. On all night? On the same day I heard the sub booming behind me like fire works going off.  It did this about 15 - 20 times.  Yesterday I heard a pop from the amp and the stereo stopped working. Another pop and it worked.

This morning I got in the truck and the stereo head unit works (dvd plays, stations show etc) but no sound. The stereo isn't working at all. Can you give me an idea of what might be wrong? I can repair most things myself and have done a big search on the truck and stereo sites. A few people have had similar problems but none seem to have solved them. I have removed the fuses for the head unit and amp. I reinstall them after work but it didn't make any difference. 

This weekend I plan on pulling the amp to inspect the wire harness.  I gather there has been some problems with this and there is a TSB out.  I wanted to post this here and see if anyone had a similare eexperience.

The head unit is a stock Bose 6 stacker combined with a overhead DVD units for the back seat. It is in a 2004 Chev 2500hd Crew cab silverado.  About 5 years ago I removed the consule and replaced it with a seat.  This ment i had to move the woofer to the back seat area and to mount the amp under the passenger seat. 

Thanks in advance

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 02-09-2012 02:14 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jrm7997 Click here to Send jrm7997 a Private Message Find more posts by jrm7997 Add jrm7997 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alexdeaton1

ok so i only read the first part but my friend had the same trouble it sounds like either you have loose wires or you have blown your amp his had a serious melt down i mean literally it melted and he rigged it back to gether im not sure on a fix for it if thats the case but check all of your wires and make sure you have a good clean ground and hot other than that man i have no clue what it could be you might just be better off to go get a brand new amp then rig it together ive heard of them catching fire when you rig them but anyways its either your amp has some serious problems or your wires arent getting good connection

New Post 02-09-2012 09:02 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for alexdeaton1 Click here to Send alexdeaton1 a Private Message Find more posts by alexdeaton1 Add alexdeaton1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jrm7997

Sort of what the TSB says

What you said is basically whats in the TSB from GMC. I am going to take the seats out and go over the wireing first thing this weekend. A lot cheaper than replacing the amp. I guess i should look on line for a replacement just in case. I don't suppose you have seen a technique for testing the amp? After I send this i will look and see if someone has written a step by step test for proving an amp is gone or not. Thanks for the reply.

New Post 02-10-2012 11:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jrm7997 Click here to Send jrm7997 a Private Message Find more posts by jrm7997 Add jrm7997 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alexdeaton1

testing

well with the test i had an am i needed to test so i was told to take the hot and ground and put them directly to the battery and a ground that are not on the car (battery or ground) and see what color the light turns and then look up the model # for the amp and get a manual that will tell you what each light color is and if it is in safe mode it needs repair but if it just says its on there shouldn't be anything wrong with it unless the internals for the speakers have broken and as far as that goes i have no idea if there is a test for it but if nothing else i mean try a cheap replacement amp like 50 or so dollars and see if that works if nothing else with out replacing anything else you have only wasted like 5 minutes for installation and 50-60 dollars on an amp i know dual had a $55 400w amp at walmart and it works pretty good 150w/rms 1 4ohm not very good unless your sub sucks but its a decent amp

New Post 02-10-2012 05:22 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for alexdeaton1 Click here to Send alexdeaton1 a Private Message Find more posts by alexdeaton1 Add alexdeaton1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (1): [1]

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. soltany, from beirut, MI. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. kaotiksyko, from , CO. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY. becesaudio, from davao city, AL.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting