Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
OnlineCarStereo.com
The best and biggest selection of mobile audio/stereo, multimedia/navigation and accessories at the lowest prices! Kenwood, Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, JVC, Sony, Clarion, Jensen, Infinity, Kicker and more...
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > > Choosing an amp for an Orion HCCA 12" 2 ohm
Go Back Pages (1): [1]
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
PFGoody

Choosing an amp for an Orion HCCA 12" 2 ohm

I have been doing some reading to properly power my subwoofer. Basically I want to power my Orion HCCA 12" 2ohm (in a vented box) for safe, yet loud, bass. I'm looking at a Power Acoustik BAMF-4000/1D @ sonic electronix and is rated at 1700 watts rms x1 for 2 ohms. Is this sufficient? I read that it is better to overpower a sub than under to avoid clipping and/or overheating. I'm looking to really crank this sub, yet I'm not looking to spend $600 dollars for an amp.

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 02-14-2012 01:51 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for PFGoody Click here to Send PFGoody a Private Message Find more posts by PFGoody Add PFGoody to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N2Audio

It's a dual 2, so your wiring options would be either 1 or 4 ohms. With a sub like that I'd strongly suggest a better amp. At least HF quality. The BRZ's are pretty solid.
The brz2100.1 would be perfect for $280.

Those power Acoustik amps are over-rated pretty bad. The bamf 4000 is good for no more than 1500w at 1 ohm. Maybe 1000 or so at 2.

The over/under powering theory is kind of bogus. Too much power is ALMOST always the ultimate cause of sub failure. Where the underpowering myth comes from is people using amps SLIGHTLY less powerful than the sub is rated for, then cranking the gain and bass boost driving the amp into heavy clipping. Clipping is actually just excess power (and sounds awful). So people with seemingly less power than a sub can handle report "underpowering" killed their sub, but that's not really what happened.

New Post 02-14-2012 04:53 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for N2Audio Click here to Send N2Audio a Private Message Find more posts by N2Audio Add N2Audio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PFGoody

Doubting my subwoofer decision now. Is this orion can blow the competition away or am I better off getting 2 (less expensive) subs that run off less power? Should I be looking at the sensitivity rather than the rms?

New Post 02-15-2012 09:26 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for PFGoody Click here to Send PFGoody a Private Message Find more posts by PFGoody Add PFGoody to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N2Audio

Sensitivity/power handling is sort of a trade off.
If you want a sub to be efficient it needs to be light. That means light weight components -- voice coil, spider, cone etc.
The end result is a speaker that can't dissipate a lot of heat, therefore can't handle much power.

The other end of the spectrum is a pure SPL sub -- a large, heavy voice coil, multiple spiders, heavy duty cone -- basically a bunch of big, relatively heavy components that can absorb a ton of power and a suspension that can travel a mile.

Ultimately, the big, bad subs will dominate in pure SPL, but the it gets harder and harder to increase performance with increases in the power handling capability of the sub.

New Post 02-16-2012 10:02 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for N2Audio Click here to Send N2Audio a Private Message Find more posts by N2Audio Add N2Audio to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (1): [1]

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. soltany, from beirut, MI. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. kaotiksyko, from , CO. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY. becesaudio, from davao city, AL.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting