Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
SonicElectronix.com - 1-877-BUY-SONIC
Up to $30.00 in FREE custom install kits on select car stereos. Largest selection online, great prices, Daily Deals and FREE shipping on most products. We are an authorized dealer for Infinity, JBL, JVC, Kicker, MTX, Vibe, RE Audio and others.
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Subwoofers and Speakers > Polk db series vs Polk dxi series speakers
Go Back Pages (1): [1]
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
oldone862

Polk db series vs Polk dxi series speakers

Does anybody know the difference between Polk db series speakers and Polk dxi series speakers? As far as I can tell, the only difference is the style of the face plate or protective screen. Are there internal componet differences that don,t show up in the specs ? Thanks in advance, any help is appreciated.

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 05-21-2012 10:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for oldone862 Click here to Send oldone862 a Private Message Find more posts by oldone862 Add oldone862 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GILLETTE

i simply opened up the polk audio site and looked at the two series and based on what i see the db line is their lowest ended line, where the bxi is their mid level line and their mm line is their top end line. so comparing the two you should have better quality and performance out of the bxi series but you will also be paying a little more for it.

you want my opinion about it try to go with component speakers and strategically locate the tweeter for best sound according to your ears. as far as real world quality difference between the two series, well it is just going to be hard to tell but i am going to imagine that the bxi series is going to be the superior of the two. the bxi series is most likely going to be the more power hungry of the two and so if you dont have that much power for them the db line may end up be the better choice for you.... if you plan to amp the mids than going with a component set is going to be the best for example if its the lower end db line but a component set vs a bxi coaxial set i would recommend the lower line component set for sure!

New Post 05-21-2012 11:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for GILLETTE Click here to Send GILLETTE a Private Message Find more posts by GILLETTE Add GILLETTE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oldone862

Thanks for the reply. That was my understanding also, then I started looking closer at the specks and they look pretty much the same. They will be powered by a Panasonic cq-cp134au reciever. I think--- 18 to 22 rms 40 or 50 watts max. This will be in an 18 wheel company truck to replace blown factory speakers, so components and amps ect is not an option. Crutchfield has both models listed at 99.99.  Amazon has the db's at about 65.00, but don't have the dxi's listed. It's the same price at Crutchfields, that got me wondering.

New Post 05-21-2012 04:24 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for oldone862 Click here to Send oldone862 a Private Message Find more posts by oldone862 Add oldone862 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GILLETTE

my dad is a trucker, i have installed and uninstalled many a system for him.  if i were you sir id go with the lower end ones cause at 15ish watts you will not really be able to notice much difference.  i would not pay over 80.00 for a set of them my self crutchfield is expensive, the customer support and assistance is great but if you dont need that part you are over paying for the gear.  look at sonicelectronix, maybe even ebay it, find a major internet retailer with the ebay listing of what you want you should be able to locate what you want at the best price that way or at least find a average ballpark range for what those speakers run for.   with out amping and for the cost to quality ratio i am a fan of polk audio. 

New Post 05-21-2012 09:16 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GILLETTE Click here to Send GILLETTE a Private Message Find more posts by GILLETTE Add GILLETTE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
larrypeters86

Very good advice. You won't hear a difference on hu power.

New Post 05-21-2012 09:20 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for larrypeters86 Click here to Send larrypeters86 a Private Message Find more posts by larrypeters86 Add larrypeters86 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oldone862

Thanks for the advice. I called Crutchfield, and their tech rep said " they are the same speaker, only with different styl'ling." So--- I pulled the trigger and have a pair of the db 521's ordered from Amazon. I too am a newly converted fan of Polk. I bought a pair of studio moniter II bookshelfs to use for my computer speakers and was blown away with how good they are for the size and price.

New Post 05-22-2012 12:22 AM
GILLETTE

just cause a company makes good home equipment does not mean that their car audio gear is worth to much, however i have a feeling that polk audio is going to be good for what you are looking for.

New Post 05-22-2012 08:56 AM
DCaudeo

Polk Audio is very nice stuff. I've had only one set of 6.5's, and of course I've listened to a bunch of "in store displays", but I've always been impressed with what I heard. Also, that one set I have has went the distance for me as far as lasting. I got them in 2007, and they still sound like new today. And I love the sound I get from them. As far as a middle of the road speaker goes, they beat most in my opinion. The set I bought were the db's. They are Polk's lower line of speakers, but they compare more to other companies' mid line of speakers, like Pioneer's TS-A series (as compared to their TS-G series being complete crap, and Polk doesn't even make a speaker that's that low).

New Post 05-24-2012 10:31 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DCaudeo Click here to Send DCaudeo a Private Message Find more posts by DCaudeo Add DCaudeo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
larrypeters86

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 05-24-2012 by DCaudeo
Polk Audio is very nice stuff. I've had only one set of 6.5's, and of course I've listened to a bunch of "in store displays", but I've always been impressed with what I heard. Also, that one set I have has went the distance for me as far as lasting. I got them in 2007, and they still sound like new today. And I love the sound I get from them. As far as a middle of the road speaker goes, they beat most in my opinion. The set I bought were the db's. They are Polk's lower line of speakers, but they compare more to other companies' mid line of speakers, like Pioneer's TS-A series (as compared to their TS-G series being complete crap, and Polk doesn't even make a speaker that's that low).

Holy hell...DC my brotha.....How are ya bud?

New Post 05-24-2012 10:35 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for larrypeters86 Click here to Send larrypeters86 a Private Message Find more posts by larrypeters86 Add larrypeters86 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GILLETTE

Thanks DCaudeo, i always appreciate someones first hand experience on such a topic as this one, with a little background insight its golden....

I just want to say thank you for that... so many of mes run around trying to educate people about stuff we just dont really know for our selves.... youknow.... its nice for someone qualified to talk to be chiming in.....

New Post 05-25-2012 12:36 AM
gameguru1360

man I haven't been here in a long while!

I just opted and installed the db 6501 comps and they sound great.  Sure they're not as good as the dxi series but they sure are better than the Hifonics comps I had in place!!

New Post 05-25-2012 03:38 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for gameguru1360 Click here to Send gameguru1360 a Private Message Find more posts by gameguru1360 Add gameguru1360 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DCaudeo

Larry, I'm doing fine. How are you doing?? I'm immensely busy now with my business, but I'm trying to get back into audio again. It's really hard to find time. So far, I'm on at night when everybody here at home is asleep. That's about the only time I have, and I miss sleep because of it, LOL. Sometime in the not so distant future though, I'm going to begin a modest system in my Dodge truck. Right now, I'm just doing research to familiarize myself with what's out there again.

New Post 05-26-2012 12:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DCaudeo Click here to Send DCaudeo a Private Message Find more posts by DCaudeo Add DCaudeo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
larrypeters86

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 05-26-2012 by DCaudeo
Larry, I'm doing fine. How are you doing?? I'm immensely busy now with my business, but I'm trying to get back into audio again. It's really hard to find time. So far, I'm on at night when everybody here at home is asleep. That's about the only time I have, and I miss sleep because of it, LOL. Sometime in the not so distant future though, I'm going to begin a modest system in my Dodge truck. Right now, I'm just doing research to familiarize myself with what's out there again.

Have you talked to X lately? I was conversing with him last yr about reviving the site and shit hit the fan around my house real bad and we never got anything going. Is the site still up? Would you have the time to get it going again? I would love to give it a shot. Get back to me bro....Do it on FB.

New Post 05-26-2012 12:10 AM
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (1): [1]

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. soltany, from beirut, MI. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. kaotiksyko, from , CO. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY. becesaudio, from davao city, AL.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting