Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
OnlineCarStereo.com
The best and biggest selection of mobile audio/stereo, multimedia/navigation and accessories at the lowest prices! Kenwood, Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, JVC, Sony, Clarion, Jensen, Infinity, Kicker and more...
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Head Units > Need Help with Head Unit Issue
Go Back Pages (1): [1]
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
JazzerMan2010

Need Help with Head Unit Issue

Hello All!

I hope i am in the right place for troubleshooting and tech stuff!  I have a Pioneer DHM MP1200 head.  It is rated at 50w X 4 ch, minimal load 4ohm, up to 8ohm.  I noticed when i connected it directly to the battery to test it that at higher volumes (say, past 35 or 40) the speakers go in and out, much like a cd sounds like when it skips.  I lower the volume and the issue disappears.  The speakers i tested the unit on were Bose 301 series II, 8 ohm .  They are rated up to 75 watts, so they can more than handle the output on the head unit.  I would like to use these speakers with this head unit, but the low volume and the cutting in and out issue is bothersome.  I am not a big-time music cranker, but i do like it to be clear sounding.  Any suggestions?

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 05-26-2012 01:38 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for JazzerMan2010 Click here to Send JazzerMan2010 a Private Message Find more posts by JazzerMan2010 Add JazzerMan2010 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
larrypeters86

RE: Need Help with Head Unit Issue

quote:
Originally posted on 05-26-2012 by JazzerMan2010

Hello All!

I hope i am in the right place for troubleshooting and tech stuff!  I have a Pioneer DHM MP1200 head.  It is rated at 50w X 4 ch, minimal load 4ohm, up to 8ohm.  I noticed when i connected it directly to the battery to test it that at higher volumes (say, past 35 or 40) the speakers go in and out, much like a cd sounds like when it skips.  I lower the volume and the issue disappears.  The speakers i tested the unit on were Bose 301 series II, 8 ohm .  They are rated up to 75 watts, so they can more than handle the output on the head unit.  I would like to use these speakers with this head unit, but the low volume and the cutting in and out issue is bothersome.  I am not a big-time music cranker, but i do like it to be clear sounding.  Any suggestions?

You're going about this all wrong. That's a really low end hu...that's fine but you have to realize that the advertised rating on it is peak wattage. The internal amp couldn't do 50 watts going downhill with a gail force wind. The actual output is more in the 10 - 15 rms range. that's not nearly enough to drive those Bose speakers. what is probobly happening is severe clipping and if you keep it up you'll fry the amp in the hu or get it to go into protect. Is there a reason you want to use the Bose in your car? get conventional speakers that fit in the stock locations. If anything get ones with a higher efficiency rating in the 90's and they'll play louder off the hu power. Polk DB series comes to mind.

New Post 05-26-2012 11:22 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for larrypeters86 Click here to Send larrypeters86 a Private Message Find more posts by larrypeters86 Add larrypeters86 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JazzerMan2010

Thank you for the reply!  I was trying to do this on the cheap, mainly because it is a work truck, and I dont have a ton of money to throw into it.  I understand now about the peak wattage why the HU is clipping like it is.  I really like the sound of the 301's, hence my wanting them in the truck.  The hu also has pre-outs for an amp.  Am I correct in thinking that if i utilize a good quality amp with enough wattage to drive the 301's, my clipping issue will stop?  I

New Post 05-27-2012 11:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JazzerMan2010 Click here to Send JazzerMan2010 a Private Message Find more posts by JazzerMan2010 Add JazzerMan2010 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
larrypeters86

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 05-27-2012 by JazzerMan2010

Thank you for the reply!  I was trying to do this on the cheap, mainly because it is a work truck, and I dont have a ton of money to throw into it.  I understand now about the peak wattage why the HU is clipping like it is.  I really like the sound of the 301's, hence my wanting them in the truck.  The hu also has pre-outs for an amp.  Am I correct in thinking that if i utilize a good quality amp with enough wattage to drive the 301's, my clipping issue will stop?  I

It would really help. Just make sure you fasten those down. They would be like a missile if you ever got in an accident.

New Post 05-27-2012 02:04 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for larrypeters86 Click here to Send larrypeters86 a Private Message Find more posts by larrypeters86 Add larrypeters86 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JazzerMan2010

Tied Down Good

Yes indeed, i have them fastened down so they wont become a trajectile.  My original thinking here was to try and find an auto amp that would allow input (aux) of an mp3 player, Not being able to do so, I had considered a Clarion EQ with a front panel to an amp setup.  This is still an option.  The pioneer hu I got from a buddy who had it and upgraded his and didnt need it anymore...thank you for the help!

New Post 05-27-2012 07:28 PM
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (1): [1]

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. kaotiksyko, from , CO. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY. becesaudio, from davao city, AL. ipodzrcool, from , AL.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting