Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
SonicElectronix.com - 1-877-BUY-SONIC
Up to $30.00 in FREE custom install kits on select car stereos. Largest selection online, great prices, Daily Deals and FREE shipping on most products. We are an authorized dealer for Infinity, JBL, JVC, Kicker, MTX, Vibe, RE Audio and others.
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Subwoofers and Speakers > please help L5,s
Go Back Pages (1): [1]
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
johnnybbad

please help L5,s

hi all new to the forum.. just tring to see if a can use my KAC8101d amp with 2 12 inch duel 2 ohms voice coils L5;s.. I think i would need a new amp but can I make this one work untill I get a new amp with out hurting the speakers. The L5;s are 600 watts rms right? and is my amp will only put out max 400 watts per channel @ 2 ohms then I would be under powering them and thats not good right? I always thought slightly bigger amp  if you can come close to matching RMS power of both. This is a two channle amp but I thought mono block amps were 1 channel.. as you can tell I have not much exsperiance exept what I read and do my self. Can this amp be bridged and is so how many watts is that putting out. What would be the best way to to wire these subs to this amp

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 06-10-2012 09:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for johnnybbad Click here to Send johnnybbad a Private Message Find more posts by johnnybbad Add johnnybbad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GILLETTE

RE: please help L5,s

quote:
Originally posted on 06-10-2012 by johnnybbad

hi all new to the forum.. just tring to see if a can use my KAC8101d amp with 2 12 inch duel 2 ohms voice coils L5;s.. I think i would need a new amp but can I make this one work untill I get a new amp with out hurting the speakers. The L5;s are 600 watts rms right? and is my amp will only put out max 400 watts per channel @ 2 ohms then I would be under powering them and thats not good right? I always thought slightly bigger amp  if you can come close to matching RMS power of both. This is a two channle amp but I thought mono block amps were 1 channel.. as you can tell I have not much exsperiance exept what I read and do my self. Can this amp be bridged and is so how many watts is that putting out. What would be the best way to to wire these subs to this amp

if you series/parralel the 2 drivers you will end up with a 2ohm load i believe, so yes you can run this amp to those subs, just dont try to make them play louder than they can cleanly play on that low of power,

you dont have to match specs off of an amp to subs just know that based on the specs you have reason to believe that the subs can take more power than that amp can put out, dont try to force the amp to fully drive the subs either cause the amp will stress and could burn up and if you feed the subs a filthy signal even a smaller signal than they are rated for they can still fry. 

my rule of thumb listen for stresses bad sounds, distortion if you hear your sound quality start going down hill back the gain/volume down till its crisp and clear again. 

my dad had that amp in his truck and i had a set of l5 12"s once up on a time not bad equipment but the subs can handle twice the power that that amp will send them....

New Post 06-10-2012 10:13 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GILLETTE Click here to Send GILLETTE a Private Message Find more posts by GILLETTE Add GILLETTE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnybbad

thank you

so wire the  voice coils in series and the woofers in parallel seen the diagram on kicker sight. That mean ill be bridging the amp right? Wich two teminals do I use. it looks like  the outer two screws are one channel and the  and the inner two screw/terminal are another channel. do I just wire it to neg of one channel and the pos. of the other channel? or are there certain  terminal to use. I printed the user guide but it doesnt say much. I did notice in the giude  it shows 2 speakers being hook up and the speaker to the middle to screws/terminals the actual lines from the speaker to the terminal is dotted as the other one is a solid lines didnt know if that meant somthing or not...there notes to suggest that on like the bottom of the page or anything..but thank you for ur help its much apprciated

New Post 06-11-2012 10:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for johnnybbad Click here to Send johnnybbad a Private Message Find more posts by johnnybbad Add johnnybbad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GILLETTE

good job locating the correct wiring diagram.  as far as which terminals to us on the amp i am not sure, many amps have a posted bridge mark on the side of the amp to show which terminals to use, i dont think it really matters which one you use just so long as you us the positive of one channel and the negative off the other channel.  good luck with it....

New Post 06-12-2012 03:22 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GILLETTE Click here to Send GILLETTE a Private Message Find more posts by GILLETTE Add GILLETTE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (1): [1]

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. reagan1, from Rowlett, TX. soltany, from beirut, MI. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. kaotiksyko, from , CO. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting