Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
SonicElectronix.com - 1-877-BUY-SONIC
Up to $30.00 in FREE custom install kits on select car stereos. Largest selection online, great prices, Daily Deals and FREE shipping on most products. We are an authorized dealer for Infinity, JBL, JVC, Kicker, MTX, Vibe, RE Audio and others.
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Subwoofers and Speakers > Walmart Crap Stereo Setup - Wanting To Upgrade
Go Back Pages (1): [1]
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
BBLotus

Walmart Crap Stereo Setup - Wanting To Upgrade

So I did what everybody on these forums warns not to do - I purchased all my car stereo stuff from walmart. Over $1,200 later I have a setup that really sucks. I replaced the subwoofer with a Polk Audio PA 880 and two subs have been destroyed now. I'm looking for something decent. Is there anything you would recommend? :) It's a 300 Watts x 1 (4 Ohm), 500 watts x 1 (2 Ohm). 800 watts x 1 (2 ohm) dynamic power. This is a dual channel with two (+)(-) connectors. Or a good way to find one that fits. I'm not sure like do the minimum and maximum power ranges have to match exactly, or should I find a sub that's a little over those specs so it doesn't get blown up....

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 06-23-2012 07:09 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for BBLotus Click here to Send BBLotus a Private Message Find more posts by BBLotus Add BBLotus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GILLETTE

what model is the amp?

i usually recommend having an amp with slightly larger specs than the subwoofer.  that way you will be able to optimumize the sub and not over work the amp.  What box are you using or what are the specs rather, what size of sub how much you looking to pay and what are you wanting to achive, rap, rock, dubstep, country, opera, DBdrag???

next i recommend you go to the ssaudio.com website and look at their stuff.  i like what they have.....

when it comes to matching specs up from an amp to sub, no you dont have to match anything, the listed specs of amplifiers are what they are suposed to be capable of doing, and on subs the specs are showing what a sub should be capable of handling.  if its walmart grade gear the specs are going to be most likely inaccurate.  amps are over rated and subs are over rated meaning that the sub will not be able to actually handle the power they say they can.  the amps are usually over rated meaning that they cant put out the power that they say that they can, if they do they do it poorly...

what you are going to want to concern yourself with is the RMS ratings of the equipment and disregard the dynamic or Max power rating.  it is an important spec but for now disregard it for me.  rms is the average output power of an amp and the average power a sub can handle.  because of the dynamics of a musical signal, its hard to measure cause it fluctuates dramatically. so by locating an average of all the fluctuation it gives a good general referance point to what power can be handled or what kind of power is being produced...  savy!!!  

just cause you match up gear with matching specs does not mean that your equipment will be safe from failure, operator has the largest control of the life of a given piece of equipment granted that the gear is of any quality at all.  i have a sub rated to run 1000wrms and am running about 2kwrms to it and it performs fine even shines..  its all about how the stuff is used or taken care of....  rms rating is a reference point a ball park figure to help the installer gauge the equipment being used.  it helps to know a companies standards as well.   a company like walmart would carry, will inflate the specs to make it more appealing, where a high end competition level company under rate if manageable to make sure that the equipment exceeds expectations... i hope that that makes sense to you.  for example a sony xplod will has some large spec posted like 1100w max power on their 10" sub but in reality if that sub ever saw that much power it would go pop.....  but a sub from ssa or many others is going to post for example the ICON series sub by SSA posts specs of 1000wrms handling and can easily handle upwards of 1400watts rms maybe more if taken care of properly....  

this help any? 

New Post 06-24-2012 03:34 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GILLETTE Click here to Send GILLETTE a Private Message Find more posts by GILLETTE Add GILLETTE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BBLotus

After browsing around the forum I found there was about 500 people all asking this same question. So I really appreciate you taking time to create such a indepth response to what I imagine is tedious to read about specs and such. But what was incredibly useful to me is now I understand the philosopher behind what I'm trying to do here. Last night I balanced everything out in my stereo system and realized that actually the subs need a 2x or better amp than what i am running right now and that is the source of my problem. Also the manual in small print warned that even though it is 2 ohm stable not to bridge multi subs together because I guess it already does this naturally. Apparently I was running them on 1 ohms...! I changed the wiring around, rebalanced it and for having less than 50% of the subs rms power it sounds okay. But now I'll go onto that website you mentioned and start shopping around for a Amp that can handle it. Thanks for your advice

New Post 06-25-2012 05:18 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for BBLotus Click here to Send BBLotus a Private Message Find more posts by BBLotus Add BBLotus to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GILLETTE

if you are budget shopping go to audioque.com, they have the best bang for the buck amps around, meaning that you get pretty dang good pricing and really good quality.  they have a 750w amp and  1200w amp for under 300.00 as i recall, those amps are good.  if you get an amp that puts out more power than the subs and are just careful about how hard you play the subs you should get best sound quality results and life out of the products.  keep me posted on your situation and i will try to give the best advice i can to help you out...

New Post 06-25-2012 07:21 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GILLETTE Click here to Send GILLETTE a Private Message Find more posts by GILLETTE Add GILLETTE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (1): [1]

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
kaotiksyko, from , CO. RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY. becesaudio, from davao city, AL. ipodzrcool, from , AL.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting