Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
OnlineCarStereo.com
The best and biggest selection of mobile audio/stereo, multimedia/navigation and accessories at the lowest prices! Kenwood, Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, JVC, Sony, Clarion, Jensen, Infinity, Kicker and more...
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Subwoofers and Speakers > Subwoofer Problems and Questions
Go Back Pages (1): [1]
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ajf81280

Subwoofer Problems and Questions

Okay basically what happens is I have a MTX thunder 5500 and the sub only turns on at high volume from my head unit when previously it would play at low volumes as well. I have read up and found out it is probably a tinsel lead problem. I had a car stereo place install it for me because I had no free time. Upon taking out my sub from the box, I realized that they had soldered new contact points to the terminals and went positive to positive and negative to negative and then to the terminal on the box. This is fine as that is how to wire this specific sub and most others. My question upon examining is that the sub it self on one of the negative sides the board that holds the terminal is cracked and off. Its all connected to the leads and everything but just hanging there. Also I noticed that the negative terminal on the plate on the sub box itself is loose from the inside where you hook the wire up to the terminal. Can anyone shed some light on this situation and maybe let me know of a quick fix. I am pretty handy with eletrical stuff,just need to know where to start looking to repair because I do not want to fork over $150-$200 for a new sub right now. Do I need a new terminal connection box on the sub box or is it something with the sub itself? Here is a picture of the broken part of the terminal...well at least the connection point...:( this is the album that has the pictures in it....http://imageshack.us/g/502/img20120811182520.jpg/ Any help is appreciated guys, I need the boom back in my car. Songs without it sound plain and boring.

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 08-11-2012 07:33 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ajf81280 Click here to Send ajf81280 a Private Message Find more posts by ajf81280 Add ajf81280 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
larrypeters86

Did the terminal cup on the box actually break? It might have just come loose which is an easy fix. The sub can be repaired but a little more involved. Are the speaker tabs soldered to that plate or are they fatened some other way. I had something similar happen to me on my icon. the tab where the connection is at broke free from the frame. I used Amazing Goop to stick it back on. What I would do is order a set of good terminals from parts express like these.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=091-340

make a new mounting plate and use something like the Goop to fasten them. drill holes first of course to mount the posts and you're in business. one thing .....make real sure of the clearance to the cone. this is something I would tackle in a heartbeat. A lot cheaper than a new sub or shipping it out to get repaired. I can answer any other questions you have or even help you through fixing your sub. Join this forum.

http://audioabyss.yuku.com/directory

New Post 08-11-2012 10:44 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for larrypeters86 Click here to Send larrypeters86 a Private Message Find more posts by larrypeters86 Add larrypeters86 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ajf81280

Yeah I did all of that. As far as the sub only turning on at volumes that are high...i.e above 22 or 23. My radio by the way is a kenwood dnx 5140. Do you have a solution for that? Or is that something that can not be fixed?

New Post 08-13-2012 11:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ajf81280 Click here to Send ajf81280 a Private Message Find more posts by ajf81280 Add ajf81280 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (1): [1]

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. kaotiksyko, from , CO. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY. becesaudio, from davao city, AL. ipodzrcool, from , AL.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting