Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
OnlineCarStereo.com
The best and biggest selection of mobile audio/stereo, multimedia/navigation and accessories at the lowest prices! Kenwood, Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, JVC, Sony, Clarion, Jensen, Infinity, Kicker and more...
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > General Discussion > System trouble (Popping Noise). Need help
Go Back Pages (1): [1]
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
brandonmississippi

System trouble (Popping Noise). Need help

Hey all, I would like some advice. I recently purchased a new Sundown audio 12" E-12D4. It is in a Q Power ported box, which is in the recommended specs of the sub. The sub is powered by a used Alpine MRV-M500, which I got from ebay. For the first few weeks, I had no problem. Now, I am getting a loud, high-pitched, popping noise from the sub when I play it loudly. Honestly, it is just from one song, rap god by eminem. I thought maybe I was pushing it too hard, but it doesn't seem like it. I removed the sub from box and played it. Nothing seems to be slamming against anything from what I can tell. It makes me question if it is the amp that's the problem. It's set below 75% gain and very little bass boost. I just really need to determine the root of the problem because I hate to buy a new amp if it is the sub, and vice versa. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 07-12-2015 03:31 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for brandonmississippi Click here to Send brandonmississippi a Private Message Find more posts by brandonmississippi Add brandonmississippi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joshwill0001

RE: System trouble (Popping Noise). Need help

quote:
Originally posted on 07-12-2015 by brandonmississippi
Hey all, I would like some advice. I recently purchased a new Sundown audio 12" E-12D4. It is in a Q Power ported box, which is in the recommended specs of the sub. The sub is powered by a used Alpine MRV-M500, which I got from ebay. For the first few weeks, I had no problem. Now, I am getting a loud, high-pitched, popping noise from the sub when I play it loudly. Honestly, it is just from one song, rap god by eminem. I thought maybe I was pushing it too hard, but it doesn't seem like it. I removed the sub from box and played it. Nothing seems to be slamming against anything from what I can tell. It makes me question if it is the amp that's the problem. It's set below 75% gain and very little bass boost. I just really need to determine the root of the problem because I hate to buy a new amp if it is the sub, and vice versa. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

G'day mate...I am pretty sure this place is abandoned now because there seem to be just a pile Of BS posts around. I posted a question a couple days ago and I haven't had anyone jump in. Nevertheless I will help with what I do know! Now, I am getting a loud, high-pitched, popping noise from the sub when I play it loudly. Honestly, it is just from one song, rap god by eminem. There's your problem right there mate. Rap firstly and seconded closely by Eminem. Shouldn't be put through any system as it is just crap music.....LMAO! Sorry man, Just my personal opinion as I am listening to some Heavy Metal as I write this XD no offence intended mate, each to their own with musical preference...sorry for any offence but I was just trying to start up light hearted; have a stab at my Metal if you want man! The most obvious thing though...if it is only happening on one song...don't play that song and call it square. Stupid I know as it really doesn't solve a problem that might be only manifesting itself on one song but be symptomatic of something else. I checked the specs on that gear, I personally would never fault the new line of Alpine Amps...they are very nice. They will push 500 and the rest. However I am an Aussie and we don't know much about Sundown Audio down here (or at least I don't). Personally I hate it when they do their TS parameters in that format...it is ass about and hard to model (if you can at all) in winISD. My thoughts there were if you modelled it in winISD that might give you some ideas of possible cone excursion issues or rear port air velocity issues...though I really don't know how the port would create a high pitched popping noise. Does the noise sound mechanical or electrical (as in does it sound like cone over excursion or does it sound like a funky sound from the woofer itself...or from the port)??? Also big query would be had you played that song on the system before and it went fine? Or was it the first time you played that song it happened? I don't know the song but does it have some low or otherwise funky bass? Is that bass different to your other songs bass? You could possibly try test tones around the bass frequency in question and see if indeed it is a simple EQ solvable issue. However I am really plucking stuff out of the air now! I know a heap of prodigy songs that will have a section where the bass just drops to 'bone fracture' level and I have had subs moan at that...but of course it is obvious what is going on and a few minutes later you are good. I will straight tell you that I am no professional at car audio; however I know enough to put tougher a number of bad ass systems in my time. I even know what the blue and white wire coming out of the deck is for! :O anyway I am just trying to think up anything I can to help man. Basically because no other guys have replied to your question OR mine and it seems like this place has been spammed or some funky shizzle. I cannot think of a single reason why it could go back to the amp. I have never heard of a sound like that unless it is feedback (I play guitar in bands so I know and love feedback) however it is not a problem in car audio. Only other thing could be cone excursion...if the amp was funky you would expect it to be funky in more than just that single instance. Plus it is a nice Alpine unit...they don't throw out rubbish. All my amps are PDX so yeah...I rate them! However again that is just my two cents, anyone out there with more knowledge than me jump in and say something. Couple of brothers here looking for some help and this guy has had 46 people view his post and no-one respond? Guys, whether it is a question on what the blue and white wire out of the deck is or it is a question about phase and time correction in a multiple channel active system...someone has to know something. Pay it forward guys! I am probably off the mark by a fair way as it is not something I have ever heard of; so there is every chance that I am not on the trail of what the problem is. However don't be too premature in terms of replacing sub and/or amp!!! Far out, personally for me one of the best remixes ever is 'Clubbed to Death' remixed on the Matrix soundtrack by Rob Dougan...that song is 7 minutes of beautiful IMHO. However if my system made a few funky noises when I played that song but was cool on all other songs...I think I could live without playing it! Bloody annoying but still...no big deal. Of course that is assuming that you do not hear it on any other songs or clipping rears its head and the rest. Hope there is something in there that helps man, as I said I really don't know jack but I responded because I might be able to help and when I saw that your query had been viewed 46 times with no reply that made me a little pissed off. At least a couple of those 46 guys couldn't be f**ked putting down some answers. Man this place has changed since I joined up back in the day. Peace bro I am also suffering from this awesome thing called insomnia...its been two days since I last slept (nothing to do with any of that nasty stuff thanks very much). I just cannot sleep ...as such I am cranky as hell so apologies if I have come across pretty blunt and a hole-ish! Just trying to help. Peace man

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 09-28-2015 01:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for joshwill0001 Click here to Send joshwill0001 a Private Message Find more posts by joshwill0001 Add joshwill0001 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (1): [1]

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. reagan1, from Rowlett, TX. soltany, from beirut, MI. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. kaotiksyko, from , CO. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting