Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource for radio,speakers, MP3, amps, subwoofers, box enclosures, IASCA,DB Drag Racing, USACi and MECA events Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource  Welcome to CarStereo.com the Internet Guide to Car Audio Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online ResourceMY ACCOUNT   
Car Stereo is the #1 Car Audio Online Resource
OnlineCarStereo.com
The best and biggest selection of mobile audio/stereo, multimedia/navigation and accessories at the lowest prices! Kenwood, Pioneer, Rockford Fosgate, JVC, Sony, Clarion, Jensen, Infinity, Kicker and more...
Car Audio Black Friday Sales!
Message Forums Car Stereo Message Forums > Amplifiers > AMP starts in protection mode...no audio to subs
Go Back Pages (1): [1]
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
cpmusick

AMP starts in protection mode...no audio to subs

I seem to be having a problem that I can't seem to figure out. First, let me tell you what I'm using. I have a 750 watt Bazooka EL-2150 amplifier and two 400 watt Bazooka subs (can't remember model number). The stereo I have is a JVC KD-S570.

Now for some reason, whenever the amp turns on, it starts in protection mode. I know this because the light stays red. The amp is turning on and off correctly and the wires are firmly secured. However, it starts in protection mode and stays that way. The stereo and regular speakers (not the subs) work just fine.

However, it worked for me once. After several times of starting in protection mode, the next time I tested it, it worked. Then I turned it off and tried it again, and now it won't work no matter how many times I try. I didn't do anything to it when it worked that one time. All I did was remove a panel from the side of my car.

It worked that one time, but now it won't work at all. I tried connecting just one sub at a time and did this for each of my two subs. No luck.

I need to also point out that I'm currently moving my system to my new car. Whenever I had this exact same system hooked up in my 1993 LeBaron, it worked perfectly. However, I'm moving it to my new 2000 Cougar, and now I'm having this problem.

What I really don't understand is why it worked that one time but not before or after that (and I didn't change anything either).

Does anybody have any idea on how to resolve this? Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Report this post to a moderator

New Post 09-15-2004 10:54 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for cpmusick Click here to Send cpmusick a Private Message Find more posts by cpmusick Add cpmusick to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
riva16

RE: AMP starts in protection mode...no audio to subs

quote:
Originally posted on 09-15-2004 by cpmusick
I seem to be having a problem that I can't seem to figure out. First, let me tell you what I'm using. I have a 750 watt Bazooka EL-2150 amplifier and two 400 watt Bazooka subs (can't remember model number). The stereo I have is a JVC KD-S570.

Now for some reason, whenever the amp turns on, it starts in protection mode. I know this because the light stays red. The amp is turning on and off correctly and the wires are firmly secured. However, it starts in protection mode and stays that way. The stereo and regular speakers (not the subs) work just fine.

However, it worked for me once. After several times of starting in protection mode, the next time I tested it, it worked. Then I turned it off and tried it again, and now it won't work no matter how many times I try. I didn't do anything to it when it worked that one time. All I did was remove a panel from the side of my car.

It worked that one time, but now it won't work at all. I tried connecting just one sub at a time and did this for each of my two subs. No luck.

I need to also point out that I'm currently moving my system to my new car. Whenever I had this exact same system hooked up in my 1993 LeBaron, it worked perfectly. However, I'm moving it to my new 2000 Cougar, and now I'm having this problem.

What I really don't understand is why it worked that one time but not before or after that (and I didn't change anything either).

Does anybody have any idea on how to resolve this? Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

I got one idea, sepends on if you've done this already. How are you poering the amp? Are you running the main 12v from the battery tot he amp, then the REM from the Head Unit to the REM spot on amp, OR, are you running the power off some low amperage acessory spot in the dash? What I mean is, don't try to power an amp from like the cigarette lighter 12v line... All amps start in protection mode... Don't freak out at that... Its when they stay in that mode... It might be doing that becuase you might be powering it from a low power source... Thats all i can think of... I've also got an amp that starts up, and no audio... But thats becuase I bent the internal board almost in half by screwing with it...

New Post 09-16-2004 06:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for riva16 Click here to Send riva16 a Private Message Find more posts by riva16 Add riva16 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cpmusick

Thanks for replying, but I have the power cable connected straight to the battery, so that should be fine. I think I'm going to try grounding the amp at another location and see if that helps. Any other suggestions that I could try?

New Post 09-16-2004 06:36 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for cpmusick Click here to Send cpmusick a Private Message Find more posts by cpmusick Add cpmusick to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
one_crazy_dude

rca's

try starting the amp without the rca's pluged into them.i had a jbl gtq-400 that did that and turns out one rca some how went bad.if the amp starts up with no proplem plug in one rca at a time to see witch side might be causing the problem.do the same to speaker wires.if a voice coil is going bad it will short and cause the amp to go into protect.good luck.

New Post 09-16-2004 09:38 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for one_crazy_dude Click here to Send one_crazy_dude a Private Message Find more posts by one_crazy_dude Add one_crazy_dude to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cpmusick

I tried disconnecting the subs and the RCA cables and it still does not work. It starts in protection mode with only the power, ground, and remote cables connected. So I then decided to try another amp. I used my brothers amp and connected it and that one didn't work either! :( I think it has something to do with my power or ground connection. I have the power connected straight to the battery. And I'm pretty sure the grounding is solid. Could it be the grounding though? Why else would it start in protection mode if it's not the power or grounding connection? I can't figure this out. I'm stumped. :(

New Post 09-17-2004 09:35 PM
riva16

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 09-17-2004 by cpmusick
I tried disconnecting the subs and the RCA cables and it still does not work. It starts in protection mode with only the power, ground, and remote cables connected. So I then decided to try another amp. I used my brothers amp and connected it and that one didn't work either! :( I think it has something to do with my power or ground connection. I have the power connected straight to the battery. And I'm pretty sure the grounding is solid. Could it be the grounding though? Why else would it start in protection mode if it's not the power or grounding connection? I can't figure this out. I'm stumped. :(

When you say starting, I think STARTING! All amps start in protection mode... Thats good... Its when they stay, and don't work in protection mode thats bad!!! Who knows... Try the amp in another vehicle...

New Post 09-17-2004 11:34 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for riva16 Click here to Send riva16 a Private Message Find more posts by riva16 Add riva16 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
one_crazy_dude

i have another idea.if it might be wires running to the back the only way to solve this problem is to un hook the amp and find some extra wires around and connect the amp right to the battery under the hood.remote and + positive togather and than the ground.if the amp does the same thing the problem is the amp it self.good luck

New Post 09-18-2004 04:21 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for one_crazy_dude Click here to Send one_crazy_dude a Private Message Find more posts by one_crazy_dude Add one_crazy_dude to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cpmusick

Would it be safe to connect the ground cable to the negative terminal on the car's battery? I've always connected it to the frame of the car, but is it possible to connect to have the power cable to the positive terminal of the battery and the ground cable to the negative terminal?

I'm not going to do that until I get an answer to the question, since it may actually be dangerous. I'm not sure though. :)

I will try different cable and connect it temporarily under the hood (not run the wires throufh the car or anything) anbd see if that works. I hope it does because that amp costed me around $200. :(

New Post 09-18-2004 06:30 PM
riva16

RE:

quote:
Originally posted on 09-18-2004 by cpmusick
Would it be safe to connect the ground cable to the negative terminal on the car's battery? I've always connected it to the frame of the car, but is it possible to connect to have the power cable to the positive terminal of the battery and the ground cable to the negative terminal?

I'm not going to do that until I get an answer to the question, since it may actually be dangerous. I'm not sure though. :)

I will try different cable and connect it temporarily under the hood (not run the wires throufh the car or anything) anbd see if that works. I hope it does because that amp costed me around $200. :(

Hey, the ground of the amp topt he frame is the same as connecting it tot he battery... All ground slead to the battery... We suggest to make the ground as short as possible to the frame so resistance is minimal, and gets back to the battery faster... Better bass and power response... Go ahead and connect the ground to the neg. terminal... They're both the same... Ground is just a "term" for negitive.

New Post 09-18-2004 09:15 PM
xtantmatrix

i have worked on the amp before

alright i need to know if you checked the fuses on the amp. the reason is bazooka turns on the protection lead if a fuse is blown or bad. you also need to turn down your gain and bass boost that could also cause your problem.

New Post 09-19-2004 12:37 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for xtantmatrix Click here to Send xtantmatrix a Private Message Find more posts by xtantmatrix Add xtantmatrix to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cpmusick

Yes, I've checked all of the fuses and they're not blown. Is it possible they could still be causing a problem though? Also, I've turned down every thing, including the gain, bass boost, x-over, etc.

I'm wondering if I should buy new fuses to test and make sure. Even if that's not the problem, then at least I'll have some backup fuses.

New Post 09-19-2004 02:18 PM
cpmusick

Finally, it's working! :)

It turns out that it was the ground connection causing the problem, as I originally thought. I think that the paint was thick enough to allow it to not get a good connection to the frame of my car.

However, after disecting my car some more, I found a good spoit to ground it. The bad thing though, is that I almost blew out my ear drums because I wasn't expecting it to work....and it did. :)

New Post 09-21-2004 01:35 AM
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Go Back Pages (1): [1]

Show Printable Version  |   Email this Page  |   Subscribe to this Thread

Recently Logged In Members  
RampagesZ, from Mobile, AL. Rol886, from Rockaway Beach, NY. Dayton605, from Dayton, TX. reagan1, from Rowlett, TX. soltany, from beirut, MI. 2rgrbn, from Long Beach, CA. kaotiksyko, from , CO. banelsonms, from Moss Point, MS. weezer4rock, from , . jaboran, from swanton, OH. N2Audio, from Lawrence, KS. wolfantry, from erie, PA. IBBumpin, from Columbus, NE. tjsaudio, from anytown, MI. punkroc719, from Winchester, VA. Andrew, from Linden, MI. #1audio, from newport, NC. torawi01, from Corpus Christi, TX. Stripedss, from Hampton, GA. NRred2, from New York, NY.
see more member photos  post your members photo

previous page Back Email this page to a Friend 
Home  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Advertise  |  Join!  |  Log-In

Copyright © 2006 Online ConneXions Inc.
Web Designed & Hosting